<The Frost Lord>
Ice elemental (Elemental)
During the Midsummer Fire Festival, players encounter Ahune by entering a special variation of the Slave Pens instance. A player queues for the special instance through the Dungeon Finder or by talking to a particular event NPC in a major city. Entering the instance in this way places the party in the second room of the Slave Pens, near an Ice Stone. The Ice Stone is then activated to summon Ahune.
- 1 General information
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Loot
- 5 Note
- 6 Videos
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 External links
Ahune is NOT immune to frost. Players can continually queue for Ahune, but will only receive the once per day. Those who kill Ahune for the first time will receive , which begins a quest. Make sure to click on the item to start before leaving the area, as the quest NPC is Luma Skymother inside the instance.
- Killing Ahune during any of phase 1 may not always spawn the loot chest, and will not count as a boss kill in Heroic Mode. This issue has occurred in both normal mode and heroic mode, should this issue occur in heroic mode you will not be saved to the instance. A highly recommended safeguard is to always kill Ahune during phase 2 to ensure the loot-chest spawns, even if Ahune is sitting at 1% in phase 1. This bug generally leads directly to another bug, in which Ahune will not spawn the Frozen Core when he submerges on subsequent attempts, making killing him impossible. It is therefore strongly advised to reset the instance if this bug is encountered.
- If Ahune is killed immediately before returning to phase 1, the Hailstone elemental may still spawn and attack the party, so stay alert for that possibility. In rare occasions, the timer even keeps running and a new Hailstone spawns every 2 minutes.
- Occasionally Ahune's Frozen Core spawns "inside" his larger form, which doesn't correctly submerge, making the Frozen Core difficult to target, using the "tab" key is the fastest way to target it. Alternately, assist someone with the Frozen Core already targeted.
- If a rogue uses Shadowstep on the core, there is a large possibility that the rogue will get stuck inside the base and eventually be killed when Ahune respawns. Should this happen but the rogue survives until Ahune is defeated, he'll still be stuck. The best course of action is to pull another mob close to the base so that the rogue may shadowstep to it
- Summoning Ahune occasionally makes combat pets (including hunters' "beast pets") or a second player talk.
- Ahune's HP may display as 100% less any damage dealt during phase 1; do not be alarmed if, for example, you DPS him down to 22% and his hp displays as 98% on the next phase 1.
- Ahune's Shield — A shield of glacial ice reduces damage to the caster by 90%. Instant. Aura on Ahune while emerged.
- Cold Slap — Ahune slaps his target, inflicting Frost damage and knocking them back. Instant. Cast on players in melee range only.
- Ice Spear — Inflicts Frost damage to players within 0 yards of the Ice Spear! Instant. Cast underneath a player with a few-second charge time. Knocks up, dealing ~10-15% falling damage.
- Ahunite Hailstone — Level 90-elite ice elemental with 1,969,705 health Only one spawns each emerge.
- Ahunite Coldwave — Level 90 water elemental with 295,456 health
- Ahunite Frostwind — Level 90 air elemental with 295,456 health
- Lightning Shield 30 yd range — Surrounds the caster with 3 balls of lightning that have a 50% chance of striking melee or ranged attackers for Nature damage. Each time the lightning shield strikes, a ball of lightning dissipates.The shield expires after 10 min. or after it has struck 3 times. Instant. (10 sec cooldown)
- Wind Buffet 8-25 yd range — Pull somebody towards you. 0.5 sec cast
- Submerges, disabling melee range attacks and Ahune's Shield, exposing his Frozen Core. Lasts 30 seconds.
The base idea is simple: Kill adds until he submerges and nuke him down. Save cooldowns until phase 2.
Ahune will start by summoning an Ahunite Hailstone, an elite frost elemental that will need to be tanked. It has a Chilling Aura, which applies a stacking DoT effect to everyone in close to it. Ideally, only melee classes will be affected by it. Ahune also continually spawns smaller water and air elemental adds that have a small amount of hp, but hit quite hard on cloth and tend to attack whoever is on top of the global threat (which will most likely be a healer). These should be killed as fast as possible. Ahune himself only takes 10% damage during this phase. While ranged can DPS Ahune freely (albeit weakly), anyone entering melee range with Ahune will suffer a large amount of frost damage and be knocked back a significant distance. Phase 2 starts approximately 90 seconds later.
Ahune will submerge and his Frozen Core will become vulnerable. Ahune will not attack or spawn adds, even when players get within melee range. Use all cooldowns now. He will remain submerged for 30 seconds; everyone including the tank should damage the core as hard as possible, taking care to avoid the ice spears and not slip on the icy patches. When Ahune emerges, he will return to phase 1 and begin the cycle again. Each time he restarts the cycle he will spawn more adds, however, so you will need to kill him before the adds overwhelm your group.
- No players need to be in melee range of Lord Ahune during Phase 1 as he does not move and has no threat list.
- Ice is slippery; running over ice may result in a knockdown effect.
- Melee need not stand directly beside Ahune in phase two. His hit box is very large and stretches to the edge of the icy ground.
- Stand behind the tank; if there's no threat generation, the adds will go for the closest player.
- Ice Spears may punt you into the water, likely resulting in a wipe. Try to stay on the left side of the icy area. When you see any of the following signs, you should take a few steps in any direction to avoid Ice Spear's punt effect; A glowing icy swirl, a ring of snowflakes, ice crystals near/under your feet.
Like other holiday bosses, Ahune's drops can be sold but not disenchanted.
These items may appear in the Ice Chest each time Ahune is defeated each day:
Previous years' loot
The following items dropped from the lower-level versions of Ahune, but are now no longer available and are listed here for historical purposes only.
Level 90 (2013-2014)
Level 85 (2011-2012)
Level 80 (2010)
Level 70 (2008-2009)
- Ahune's weapon seems to be just like Murmur's , Thunderaan's , and Ragnaros' .
- In addition to this, anyone that gets knocked back by Ahune during phase 1 may find a in their inventory, which contains several Snowballs.
- Prior to Cataclysm, he and all his adds were immune to the frost school, including Death Knights' spell, making it difficult for Death Knights to tank effectively, and for frost mages to DPS.
- Patch 4.2.0 added a new source for the , which was originally dropped by Ahune before it was removed from his loot table in Wrath of the Lich King. Scorched Stones now drop from , which can be purchased from Zen'Vorka in The Molten Front for 30 Marks of the World Tree.
When first added, Ahune appeared in the standard Slave Pens instance, in both normal and heroic versions. The 2010 revision to the event (increasing Ahune to level 82) moved it to a special variation of the normal Slave Pens instance, where mobs in first and second rooms were removed. All bosses and mobs in other rooms were kept, it is possible to do respective quests, gain reputation with Cenarion Expedition and receive achievement.
Level 80 encounter
- Patch 6.1.2 (2015-03-24): Upgraded to level 100.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Upgraded to level 92.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Upgraded to level 87.
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): Updated to level 82. No longer has a Heroic mode.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Added.