- For the character from an alternate universe, see Exarch Akama.
- For the portion of his soul bound to Illidan, see Shade of Akama. For the Brawler's Guild encounter, see Akama (Brawler's Guild).
|Title||Chieftain of the Ashtongue,
of the Broken
|Character class||Elder sage, Shaman, formerly Priest|
|Affiliation(s)||Ashtongue Deathsworn, Ashtongue tribe, Sha'tar, Brawler's Guild, Illidari|
|Former affiliation(s)||Vindicators, Council of Exarchs (possibly)|
|Occupation||Leader of the Ashtongue tribe and Ashtongue Deathsworn, Jailor of Maiev Shadowsong (formerly)|
- "When the time is right, the Betrayer will become... the betrayed."
The elder sage Akama is the leader of both the Ashtongue tribe and the elite of said tribe, the Ashtongue Deathsworn, a faction of Broken draenei supposedly in the service of . Offered a chance at revenge against the orcs who decimated his people, Akama allied himself with the night elf/demon hybrid and aided in the overthrow of , only to later find that Illidan was no better than the pit lord. To all outward appearances, Akama remained a loyal servant of Illidan and led his Ashtongue Deathsworn in his service — but away from his prying eyes, Akama sought to end Illidan's reign.
Allying with , whom he had been charged with keeping imprisoned, Akama rallied a group of adventurers to enter the Black Temple, leading up to the final battle with Illidan himself — the battle that ended the Betrayer's life. With Illidan gone, Akama hopes that the Holy Light will fill the dismal halls of the Temple once more...
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Notes
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Akama is a kind but hardened Broken draenei who was once the guardian and priest of the Temple of Karabor where he spent his youth. When the orcs enslaved by the Burning Legion descended upon the Temple, Akama took charge of evacuating as many civilians as possible and then went into hiding with the remnants of the draenei. In the short story Unbroken, he fled from the Temple to Shattrath City before going into hiding, where he was the most exposed of the refugees to the fel energies that caused some draenei to mutate, sending him into a coma. Sometime after the general banishment of the Broken from the draenei camps, he came out of his coma and was sent on his way as well.
Before and after the cataclysm and the shattering of Draenor, Akama took an interest in the activities of the former vindicator Nobundo, and had stealthily followed him time and again to observe his efforts to reconnect with the Light, a power the former priest was quite familiar with. After coming out of his coma, Akama had felt nothing but despair and a needling dread of the future. Perhaps he was hoping to see if he succeeded and pave the way back to Akama's own abilities and/or form; only Akama can say. What he certainly did not expect was to witness Nobundo's first contact with the elemental spirits, and while he couldn't hear the spirit of fire when it first spoke to Nobundo, it quite clearly was doing so and left Akama in absolute astonishment.
Akama continued to observe Nobundo for another week, and watched as the elements defended Nobundo from the guards of a draenei camp, allowing him to pass through unhindered. Akama did not dare follow, but he didn't need to. The events that he had just witnessed planted a seed within him; seeing what Nobundo had just done, to see he had accomplished, stirred a feeling in Akama that he had feared long dead: Hope. He slipped back into the marsh with his newfound hope. Nobundo, while he had at times felt as if someone had been watching him through out his efforts, was never the wiser of what he had done for Akama.
The Frozen Throne
This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III.
Akama found himself aided by and , a blood elf and naga who had come from Azeroth to escape the clutches of human captors. Hoping to gain allies in the fight against Magtheridon, Kael'thas and Vashj destroyed the base of the fel orc who had been raiding Akama's makeshift outpost. Akama pledged his loyalty to Illidan and aided them by attacking a larger orcish base, keeping the enemy occupied and away from Kael'thas and Illidan as the two closed the dimensional gateways — which were supplying constant reinforcements to Magtheridon. After that battle, the time had come to lay siege to Magtheridon's Black Citadel itself.
Akama pledged allegiance to Illidan, craving vengeance on the orcs and demons who had corrupted and slaughtered his race. Using his abilities, Akama and a band of his followers sneaked into Black Temple and destroyed the magical energy generators which sustained the defenses of the citadel, and then aided Illidan, Kael, and Vashj in the final attack against Magtheridon himself. However, since the moment of Illidan's triumph he begun planning his inevitable conflict with Illidan.
Enemy of my enemy
With more than a month without upholding Illidan's promise to return the Temple to the Broken and seeing Illidan as another pawn of the Burning Legion, Akama contacted Maiev Shadowsong and met in Orebor Harborage. After he healed the Broken child Rosaria, Maiev arrived into the village and the two decided to work together against the Betrayer. Akama would then give her a stone enabling him to contact her when needed. Akama would find himself greatly disturbed by Illidan's actions such as using Magtheridon to create more Fel orcs and the creation of the demon hunters.
Illidan would eventually learn of Akama's duplicity and instead of killing the broken, would instead bind a portion of his soul to his service. At Illidan's command Akama would ultimately trick Maiev into leading her forces into an ambush, with Maiev being the only survivor. During this attack Illidan would use the souls of the departed in order to open a portal to Nathreza, though an unaware of Akama would seethe that Illidan didn't spare the Ashtounge as promised and that he used harvested their souls for an unknown purpose.
Akama would later find himself appointed at Maiev's jailer and would inform the warden that both Illidan and himself had plans for the warden. 
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Akama is a level 70 Broken draenei located in front of Maiev Shadowsong's cell in the Warden's Cage in Shadowmoon Valley. In order to reach him, adventurers of the Horde and Alliance had to enter into the underground portion of the Warden's Cage and look to right at what appears to be just a pool of water. Swimming into and under the pool brought them into Maiev's cell where Akama is standing guard.
After an introductory quest chain, in which players have to prove that they are not allied with Illidan by killing some members of the Illidari, they are sent to speak with Akama. He explains that it is best for his people to continue to appear to serve Illidan until certain omens are fulfilled. He then gives a quest to speak with who is being held prisoner in the Arcatraz, a satellite of Tempest Keep. Udalo is dead, but has left a clue behind for the next quest.
The , the portion of Akama's soul tied to Illidan's will, is a boss in Black Temple. Akama with the help of the adventurers released his soul and was also able to regain his people's trust. After the Illidari Council is defeated, Akama alongside two souls of Ashtongue members opened the gate to the very top of the Temple. During the final confrontation with Illidan, Akama himself assisted adventurers in battle, although he cannot be killed. Akama leaves the battle during the first phase and is not seen again for the remainder of the battle; however, Maiev Shadowsong arrives for the final phase and remains until Illidan's death. Akama had freed Maiev from her prison cell and led her into the Temple with the aid of players seeking to obtain the that allows entry into the Temple. After Illidan is defeated, Akama swears to fill the halls of the Black Temple with Light once again.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Akama joined the Brawler's Guild. He yields after he is defeated by a combatant.
Legacy of the Masters
Akama is distrustful of warlocks after witnessing Illidan's fall to his own corruption, followed by the invasion of the Black Temple by the Council of the Black Harvest after the Cataclysm. When a warlock Adventurer infiltrates the Black Temple following the trail of Jubeka and Kanrethad, they are ambushed by Akama. He agrees to help hunt down the two warlocks, recognizing the Adventurer's name.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Within the Twisting Nether, the spirit of Illidan Stormrage commands his surviving Illidari demon hunters to re-recruit Akama, as Akama knows Illidan's plans to destroy the Burning Legion. Akama is confronted at the summit of the Black Temple by the demon hunters, and blows away all but their leader with bolts of lightning before proceeding to battle the leader. Akama's ultimate fate varies depending on which demon hunter the player chose as their second-in-command in the Vault of the Wardens:
- Altruis the Sufferer: Akama joins the Illidari willingly and travels to the Fel Hammer.
- Kayn Sunfury: The Shade of Akama is once more torn out of Akama's body and travels to the Fel Hammer while Akama is left defeated at the Black Temple.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
He gives the following quests:
- Main article: Quotes of Warcraft III/Neutral Heroes#Akama
- "I am Akama, Elder Sage of the draenei. Lord Illidan promised to rid us of our ancient enemies in exchange for our loyalty. These cursed orcs serve Magtheridon--a terrible lord whose Black Citadel lies to the west. Under his command, the orcs hunted us to the brink of extinction. But now, with Lord Illidan behind us, we will fight back and retake our ancestral lands."(Draenei Village)
- "We draenei have fought the orcs and their demon masters for generations. Now, at last, we will end their curse forever. We are yours to command, Lord Illidan." (Lord of Outland)
World of Warcraft
Black Temple trailer
Akama is the narrator of the trailer for the Black Temple patch; this trailer shows his history from a guardian to his current state, and reveals his appearance prior to his mutation. At several points, it reveals events of lore: the orcs' attack on the Temple of Karabor and the draenei journey into hiding in Zangarmarsh; 's raising of the volcano that bears his name; opening his portals, leading to the creation of Outland; the arrival of Magtheridon and, later, of Illidan Stormrage; Akama, Kael'thas Sunstrider, and Lady Vashj aiding Illidan in sealing Magtheridon's portals before the final battle; and finally, Illidan claiming Black Temple.
His speech is transcribed below:
I remember the Temple as it used to be: a place of worship.
I prayed within its chambers and meditated among its gardens. I was happy then; at peace.
I remember, too, the day the orcs came.
That day marked by cries of war and torrents of blood where terrified women and children huddled in darkened corners.
I led many to safety, but many more paid the ultimate price.
That day my beloved sanctuary became the Black Temple.
There the orc warlocks practiced their twisted magic that corrupted the land and nearly destroyed us all.
Even after the Horde's reckless sorcery tore the planet apart, my people were unable to find a lasting sanctuary.
I remember the armies of demons that swept down on us like a plague.
During these dark times, the one called Magtheridon made the Temple his home.
Then came Illidan...
The one they called the Betrayer; the enemy of my enemy.
We helped him seal the portals of Outland and cut off the Legion's reinforcements.
We fought with renewed strength, and together we reclaimed our sacred ground.
I think part of me knew even then, that the Black Temple had only traded one evil master for another.
I prefer to remember the Temple as it used to be; not the abomination it has become.
My soul bears the burden of my misjudgment, but I have been patient; I have been waiting.
And when the time is right, the Betrayer will become... the betrayed.
Akama "Plays Along"
After completing the quest entitled , a small scripted event between Akama and the dreadlord — one of Illidan's demon lieutenants — occurs. Vagath arrives with two demonic minions and yells out:
- Vagath yells: Mortals, here? What is the meaning of this, pathetic Broken!
- Akama whispers: Have no fear, <race>. Just play along.
- Akama "kills" the player and reassures Vagath.
- Akama yells: A mere nuisance, I assure you! Tell the Master his prisoner will not escape while Akama and his Deathsworn watch over her.
- Vagath says: You'd do well not to toy with me, Akama. Illidan has given me strict orders to keep watch on the Warden. If I find out you are hiding anything from me, I will crush you with my bare hands!
- Vagath leaves.
- Akama says: Forgive my harsh methods, but the Betrayer cannot learn of the truth. My secret must be kept at all costs!
- Akama "resurrects" the player. In a cell behind Akama, Maiev Shadowsong speaks up.
- Maiev Shadowsong says: If we truly desire the same thing, Akama, then release me! If Illidan is to die, it shall be by my hand!
- Akama says: In due time, Maiev. I've spent years planning to make my move - I can't afford to put my plans in peril by tipping my hand too soon.
- Maiev Shadowsong says: Curse you, Akama! I am not a pawn in your game...my will is my own. When I unleash my wrath upon Illidan it will have nothing to do with your foolish scheme!
- Main article: Quest:The Secret Compromised#Notes
- Main article: Quest:A Distraction for Akama#Notes
- Main article: Illidan Stormrage (tactics)#Quotes
- There is an Alliance submarine used during the naval missions on the alternate Draenor that bears the name Akama's Scythe.
- Akama used the original draenei model, now the Lost One model, in his Warcraft III appearance. It seems that his appearance has been retconned as opposed to multiple mutations. However his current model is a hybrid between Lost One and Broken features, he retains the mouth of a Lost One. Furthermore, like the untainted draenei, his feet are still cloven.
- When one sees Akama in World of Warcraft, it is clear he does not quite look like his fellow Broken draenei nor the Lost One draenei. Instead, he looks half way between a Broken draenei and Lost One as seen by his strange face and the basket he carries on his back which many Lost Ones also use. In the story "Unbroken", Akama was said to have taken in a larger amount of the fel energy that caused the draenei to mutate into the Broken draenei, which may explain his appearance.
- Akama can be spotted with his Warcraft III appearance in the backround of the art piece "Foes of Outland" by Wei Wang.
- His quote "At my age, you see death everywhere. DEATH!", is a reference to the Simpsons.
- As of Cataclysm Akama and Maiev appear on the loading screen for Outland.
- Akama is the last surviving lieutenant of Illidan's forces, although he is no longer a member of it.
- The time at which Akama met Illidan and his followers has also been retconned (or possibly just eluded the developers). In Gates of the Abyss, it is obvious that he met them after they had begun to close down Ner'zhul's dimensional gateways. In the Patch 2.1.0 trailer, he is instead seen together with them as they decide on closing them.
- His name is possibly a pun, as the draenei in Warcraft III fought with sickle-like weapons that may be kamas, so he used a kama. In Warcraft III, he uses both a sickle-like weapon and another blade, and in World of Warcraft he uses two of the sickle-like weapons, making this likely. The same type of weapon can be seen on draenei banners.
- Akama is voiced by Steve Blum.
- Currently, following the release of Warlords of Draenor, Akama is using Exarch Akama's click-on quotes. This is probably not intentional.
- Akama admired Altruis the Sufferer for opposing the direction Illidan was taking.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide, index
- ^ World of Warcraft
- ^ Warcraft III
- ^ a b Quest:Confrontation at the Black Temple
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan, chapter 3
- ^ Unbroken
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan, chapter 1
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan, chapter 3
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan Chapter 16
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan Chapter 17
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan Chapter 18
- ^ Akama says: "The Light will fill these dismal halls once again. I swear it."
- ^ Quest:Immortal Soul
- ^ Quest:Champion: Akama
Master of the Black Temple