- For his pre-Wrath of the Lich King encounter, see .
Scourge of the Scourge,
|Character class||Death Knight, Paladin (formerly)|
|Former affiliation(s)||Scourge, Knights of the Silver Hand, Kingdom of Lordaeron, Alliance of Lordaeron|
|Occupation||Former Knight of the Silver Hand and champion of|
|Relative(s)||Elena (wife), Renault, Darion (sons)|
Alexandros Mograine, also known as the Ashbringer, was one of the leaders of the Silver Hand and the original wielder of the Ashbringer. He was murdered by his son Renault with the sword and raised as a death knight by . He was originally encountered in Naxxramas as the leader of the Four Horsemen, but was replaced by in Wrath of the Lich King.
During the assault on Blackrock Spire in the Second War, Mograine of the Silver Hand witnessed an orcish warlock channeling magic through a dark orb. After the warlock's death, Mograine went to claim it for the Alliance, but his hand was badly mangled as soon as he touched it. Though describing the orb as the "living embodiment of shadow," he was still curious as to what power it might hold and kept it in an iron chest.
Mograine kept the orb a secret until the Scourge reached Lordaeron. He revealed it to several other members of the Silver Hand, suggesting that they search for the orb's polar opposite - a manifestation of the Holy Light itself - to be used against the impending undead holocaust. Mograine's peers, appalled at the sight of this dark crystal, attempted to destroy it with a holy spell. Unexpectedly, the crystal absorbed the spell and became its antithesis, the very crystal of pure light that Mograine suggested moments before, and even restored life to his mangled hand. It was decided that from this crystal a weapon would be forged that would smite the undead with such power that only a cloud of ash would remain in its wake—The Ashbringer.
Under the command of , Mograine and Fairbanks traveled to Ironforge to ask King Magni Bronzebeard to forge the mighty blade. Magni, having only just learned of his brother's apparent demise, was more than willing to craft a weapon to battle the undead, and described it as the greatest creation wrought by his hand.
Mograine and the other former Knights of the Silver Hand banded together to continue the war against the . Alexandros was appointed Highlord and the Ashbringer was the Order's greatest weapon. However, the blade caught the attention of . Striking a deal with , who had covertly taken control of the Order by possessing Dathrohan and wished to use it against the Lich King, the two planned to kill him. To do so, Balnazzar corrupted Mograine's son Renault and had him lead his father into a trap. Renault led his father and to Stratholme where an army of undead waited for them. Renault fled and Fairbanks, being the first to fall, was trapped under the pile of undead corpses. Mograine stood alone against the undead, yet managed to destroy all sent at him. In fatigue, Alexandros dropped his blade. Renault returned and killed Mograine with his own sword, corrupting the Ashbringer. Unable to use the blade, Renault left it with his father's corpse.
However, Kel'Thuzad raised the Ashbringer's corpse turning him into a death knight of the Scourge, and reclaimed his blade. Kel'Thuzad took Mograine back to Naxxramas to have him serve as one of the Four Horsemen. Later, led by nightmares of his father's tortured soul, Darion led a small group of Argent Dawn members into Naxxramas to free him. Darion was the only one to survive the assault, escaping with the blade but forced to leave his father's body behind.
When Darion returned to the Scarlet Monastery with the blade, Alexandros's corrupted spirit manifested and confronted Renault, accusing him of murder before mercilessly killing him. Later, during a Scourge assault on Light's Hope Chapel, Darion plunged the Ashbringer into his own chest in an act of self-sacrifice that obliterated the Scourge armies and seemingly freed Alexandros's soul of the Scourge's corruption. In doing so, however, Darion damned himself into undeath and was escorted off the battlefield by Kel'Thuzad.
Alexandros stands amongst the Four Horsemen and .
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
During the Battle for Light's Hope Chapel, Darion - now a death knight himself and wielding the Corrupted Ashbringer - led an attack against Light's Hope Chapel but he was defeated by . During the dialogue between Darion and Tirion, Alexandros's spirit appeared and a dialogue between father and son - evidently a flashback of some kind - took place. Alexandros mentioned that Darion would one day wield Ashbringer. However, their reunion was cut short by the arrival of the Lich King, who claimed Alexandros's soul with Frostmourne.
As a result of his story advancement since his original in-game appearance, Alexandros did not return in Naxxramas with the rest of the Four Horsemen. According to Commander Eligor Dawnbringer's lecture in Wintergarde Keep, Alexandros "was the finest warrior that the Death Knights had ever seen. However, after the events in Azeroth, he vanished without a trace. Kel'Thuzad has appointed in his place."
In the taken from the Lich King after he is defeated by a raid in which someone is wielding , an item known as is found. When returned to Darion, Alexandros's spirit appears for the final time, thanking Darion for saving him from damnation.
With the Corrupted Ashbringer
Players who obtained the Scarlet Monastery and see a special event in which Alexandros Mograine returned, killed his son, and frees Fairbanks' spirit from his undead form. With the updated lore in the comics and the expansion, however, this event and the information given by Fairbanks regarding the Ashbringer have mostly been retconned out.from the original version of Naxxramas could take it to the
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Old Hillsbrad Foothills||52||2,371|
|Plaguelands: The Scarlet Enclave||??||13,945,000|
- Ready yourselves, men! If it is blood these green-skined heathens crave then it is blood they shall have! Come you, knights! Raise hammers, bare steel! We fight to the end, we die if we must! For Lordaeron! FOR THE KING! ATTACK!
- I love you, Elena! I always have loved you!
- I love you, Darion!
- I... Loved you, Renault.
At Light's Hope Chapel:
- I love you, son. With all that I am... All I was... All I ever will be.
- My soul will forever bear the weight of your sacrifice, my son. And just as you never gave up on me, I shall never give up on you. For you've taught me the most valuable lesson of all: Hope... Never dies.
- Enough prattling. Let them come! We shall grind their bones to dust.
- Conserve your anger! Harness your rage! You will all have outlets for your frustration soon enough.
- Life is meaningless. It is in death that we are truly tested.
- You seek death?
- None shall pass!
- Be still!
- Bow to the might of the Highlord!
- Killing a player
- You will find no peace in death.
- The master's will is done.
- I...am...released! Perhaps it's not too late to — noo! I need...more time...
- Made...to serve.
- Crusades...fed his rage.
- Truth...is...unknown...to him.
- Scarlet...Crusade...is pure...no longer.
- Balnazaar's... crusade... corrupted...my son.
Battle for Light's Hope Chapel
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: My son! My dear, beautiful boy!
- Highlord Darion Mograine says: Father!
- Highlord Darion Mograine says: Argh... what... is...
- Darion falls to one knee, and a shade of his past appears in front of him.
- Darion Mograine says: Father, you have returned!
- Young Darion walks up to Alexandros.
- Darion Mograine hugs his father.
- Darion Mograine says: You have been gone a long time, Father. I thought...
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: Nothing could have kept me away from here, Darion. Not from my home and family.
- Darion Mograine says: Father, I wish to join you in the war against the undead. I want to fight! I can sit idle no longer!
- Tirion walks up until about two steps behind Highlord Darion's right shoulder, watching the memory play out.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: Darion Mograine, you are barely of age to hold a sword, let alone battle the undead hordes of Lordaeron! I could not bear losing you. Even the thought...
- Darion Mograine says: If I die, Father, I would rather it be on my feet, standing in defiance against the undead legions! If I die, let me die with you!
- As Alexandros speaks, the shade of Darion disappears and it is as if Darion's father is speaking directly to his son.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: My son, there will come a day when you will command the Ashbringer and, with it, mete out justice across this land. I have no doubt that when that day finally comes, you will bring pride to our people and that Lordaeron will be a better place because of you. But, my son, that day is not today.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: Do not forget...
- Highlord Darion Mograine says: Father...
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: Darion, my son.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: At last, I am able to lay my eyes upon you again.
- Highlord Darion Mograine says: Father. I feared for your... your sanity.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: The Lich King tormented me without end, Darion.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: Endlessly, he sought to break my will, to force me to serve him, to bind me to his blade...
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: Finally, when events demanded his full attention, he left me.
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: The one memory, I clung to, Darion... The one thought that kept me from giving in...
- Highlord Alexandros Mograine says: It was your sacrifice, my son, that again saved me from eternal peril.
- Highlord Darion Mograine says: Father... For you, I would give my life a thousand times.
- Alexandros used to wear the helm .
- Alexandros is remembered by the Silver Hand and his statue is located in the Sanctum of Light. His plaque says: The beginning of a legend still spoken of in hushed whispers. His memory will never be forgotten, just as the forces of darkness will never forget his blade.
- In World of Warcraft, it is stated that Alexandros was one of the founders of the Scarlet Crusade. The Ashbringer comic would depict the formation of the Crusade occurring after Alexandros' death, in which case he would have never been a member.
- Alexandros can be seen during the Old Hillsbrad Ashbringer event.
- Alexandros is voiced by Marc Graue.
- During the days of The Burning Crusade it was a common speculation that would eventually end up being revealed as the second son of Alexandros. It all began with the Corrupted Ashbringer Scarlet Monastery event which mentioned another Mograine living in Outland and who might be able to forge Ashbringer anew. David's relative youth for a member of the Sons of Lothar, his isolation, his blacksmithing skills and dialogs all led people to think he was the one was speaking about, but Wrath of the Lich King eventually revealed that the other son was actually . The Ashbringer sword was thus purified by the Light of Dawn instead of being recreated.
- An unused NPC representing a modern version of Alexandros Mograine was added roughly at the same time as matching versions of the three other original Horsemen, all presumably meant to appear in World of Warcraft: Legion. He and these other NPCs didn't make it out of the Legion alpha stage. It is notable that Mograine was still called "The Ashbringer" and that he was wearing the Dreadnaught's Battlegear set, an armor that was originally made exclusively for him.
Alexandros in Old Hillsbrad Foothills.
- Fan art
Mograine by Pulyx45699.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Replaced by Baron Rivendare, now seen as a ghost.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Added.
Leader of the Silver Hand
Leader of the Four Horsemen
Wielder of the Ashbringer