|Source information needed!
- This article is about the predecessor organization to the current faction known as the Sons of Lothar. See "The Invasion of Draenor" for the in-game book and section 2 of Chapter IV of the History of Warcraft.
|Other major cities|
|Base of operations|
|Theater of operations|
Disbanded, many regrouped into Sons of Lothar
The Alliance Expedition, also known as the Draenor Expedition, or the Alliance Expeditionary Force, was a military venture to the orc homeworld of Draenor following the Second War, with the goal of getting the Book of Medivh from Ner'zhul due to the help of orcish traitors, and stopping the orc from opening portals to other worlds.
The expeditionary forces were led by:
- Archmage Khadgar of Dalaran, Supreme Commander.
- Turalyon, paladin of the Silver Hand, High General.
- Ranger Captain Alleria Windrunner of Quel'Thalas, Lead Scout and Intelligence Agent.
- Kurdran Wildhammer of Aerie Peak, Commander of the Gryphon Rider Division.
- Stromgarde Militia Captain Danath Trollbane, Force Commander and Tactical Advisor.
While the expedition was ultimately successful in fighting the Shadowmoon clan and their allies in a string of military victories on Draenor and destroyed Fortress Shadowmoon. The Laughing Skull clan stole the Book of Medivh before Fortress Shadowmoon was destroyed and gave the Expedition the Book along with soldiers in exchange for helping the traitor clan dominate on Draenor. However Ner'zhul had learned enough from the book to succeed with his plan to open numerous portals. Seeing the destruction of Draenor, the Alliance forces chose to close the Dark Portal in order to protect Azeroth from the influx of energy unleashed from the quickly dying world. Their fate was unknown to those on Azeroth. They were last seen entering a portal to escape the destruction of Draenor. When Ner'zhul and his forces entered a different portal, they were immediately captured by the Burning Legion, though the fate of the Alliance Expedition was unknown.
Invasion of Draenor
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
- Khadgar is located in Shattrath City in Terokkar Forest.
- Danath is located at Honor Hold in Hellfire Peninsula along with most surviving human and Ironforge dwarves.
- Kurdran and Sky'ree are located at Wildhammer Stronghold in Shadowmoon Valley along with the Wildhammer gryphon riders of the expedition.
- Allerian Stronghold, on the edge of Auchindoun in Terokkar Forest, is named after Alleria and is were most high elves reside.
- Turalyon's whereabouts are unknown. Turalyon and Alleria had a child who reports the two of them missing.
- Kirin'Var Village, in Fields of Farahlon, is where the mages of the expedition settled.
- Many veterans and refugees otherwise joined Shattrath City.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Kurdran Wildhammer has returned to Azeroth — leading the Alliance forces in the Twilight Highlands — and to date is the only hero of the Alliance Expedition who has done so. Skuerto in the Arathi Highlands complains about a 'pencil-pusher' holding up Danath Trollbane's return.
Though Turalyon was the Supreme Commander of the Alliance following the death of Anduin Lothar, the Alliance Expedition itself was led by Khadgar, who had called for the army to be rallied at Nethergarde and led into the Dark Portal to Draenor. As Khadgar's task was by far the most important - to retrieve the Book of Medivh and seal the Dark Portal to save Azeroth from destruction - Turalyon and his lieutenants deferred to him when it came to ways to achieve that task. Otherwise, the command of the Expedition's forces fell under Turalyon's purview.
|Lead Scout and Intelligence Agent||Unknown|
|High elven ranger||Alive||Allerian Stronghold, Terokkar Forest|
|Force Commander and Tactical Advisor||Alive||Honor Hold, Hellfire Peninsula|
|Right hand of Danath||Unknown|
|Supreme Commander||Alive||Various Locations|
|Commander of the Gryphon Rider Division||Alive||Various Locations|
|Alive||Honor Hold, Hellfire Peninsula|
|Right hand of Alleria||Unknown|
- In the canceled Warcraft Adventures, a bulletin board inside Durnholde Keep showed that the Alliance was still looking for information about the missing members of the expedition.