|Title||Bishop of Secrets, Archbishop of the Church of Light (former)|
|Character class||Priest, Cleric|
|Former affiliation(s)||Scourge, Alliance of Lordaeron, Kingdom of Lordaeron, Order of the Silver Hand, Church of the Light, Brotherhood of Northshire|
|Occupation||Leader of the Church of Light (formerly)|
|Student(s)||Benedictus, Uther the Lightbringer, Calia Menethil|
- Not all authority is corrupt or self-serving, young man. There are those of us called to serve by leading, just as your friend here.
- - To Khadgar about Anduin Lothar.
Alonsus Faol was the Archbishop of the Church of the Holy Light during the Second War. He organized the creation of paladins - knights who wielded the Light - to defend the Alliance of Lordaeron. His apprentice Uther became the first paladin and together they founded the Knights of the Silver Hand paladin order.
Tides of Darkness
Alonsus was present with the other leaders of Lordaeron in the Capital City to hear Anduin Lothar. Faol was deeply troubled by the loss of Northshire Abbey and by the terrible attrition its clerics suffered in that conflict. Aided by his apprentice, Uther Lightbringer, whom he first met when he was just a bishop, Faol created the Knights of the Silver Hand and equipped the followers of the Holy Light with the armaments of war. Alonsus Chapel, in Stratholme, was the site where he anointed Uther as the first of the paladins.
After the Second War
After the Second War, in Stormwind City Faol led a ceremony in which Prince Arthas became a paladin of the Silver Hand. Later, he held the position as one of the four jurors during the court of Tirion Fordring in Stratholme. Like the other judges, he was shocked when Tirion admitted his guilt.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
It has been revealed that Faol was raised from the dead as a member of the Scourge. Sometime after, he was able to free himself and has been hiding in the shadows ever since. He has also been working with Moira Thaurissan in her fight against the Twilight's Hammer.
After directing the priest adventurer of the Conclave to search for various artifacts, Faol joins Moira and Velen in Dalaran. From there, the trio journey to Netherlight Temple, an ancient draenei prison for Saraka the Lighteater. There, Alonsus along with the artifact wielder and several other priest were able to cleanse the Naaru, bringing it back to its original state. To celebrate, Alonsus changes the prison into the priest order hall and promotes the artifact wielder as the leader of the order.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Quest:A Hero's Weapon||113||9,204,700|
Death and remembrance
Faol died of unknown causes (perhaps simply old age) some time prior to the coming of the Scourge to Lordaeron. His final resting place is presumed to be Faol's Rest, a graveyard in the now-plagued Tirisfal Glades, located near Scarlet Monastery.
A statue and fountain in front of the Cathedral of Light in Stormwind City honors all the hard work done by Faol following the Second War, raising funds to help rebuild the city and reestablishing the Brotherhood of Northshire.
Archbishop Alonsus Faol
Benevolent patron of the Church of Light.
Though he began his good work in Stratholme, Lordaeron, Archbishop Faol was a great friend to the people of Stormwind. In the dark days after the Second War, he helped to reform the Brotherhood of Northshire and raised vast funds to rebuild Stormwind city itself.
This Cathedral stands not only as a bastion of the Holy Light, but as a lasting testament to one man's noble spirit and generosity.
In Cataclysm, the "Archbishop Alonsus Faol" plaque was replaced by one dedicated to Uther the Lightbringer.
- I will hide in shadows no longer.
- How may I help you?
- We will accomplish much together.
- I wonder what would happen if you split someone into pure light and pure void. Interested in volunteering?
- Bored? I could arrange discourse with a shadow fiend.
- You do know there's an invasion going on, right?
- Until next time.
- Let us get to work.
- May light and shadow guide you.
- The Light topples our enemies!
- Our inner fire burns bright!
- Let the Light flow through you!
According to older accounts, the aged Faol was the Abbot of Northshire Abbey and fled with the surviving citizens of Stormwind to Lordaeron. Later sources changes his story to already being in Lordaeron during the First War, and only learned about the destruction of Northshire Abbey when he spoke with Lord Lothar in Lordaeron's Capital City.
Notes & trivia
- Alonsus was described as being short and stout with a snow-white beard and was compared to Greatfather Winter. He wore ceremonial robes and wielded a staff.
- He was loved and generous. Many would enjoy his presence, even those who had just met him. He gave encouragement to the wizard Khadgar and Lothar days before the Second War and told Lothar that he had already started to raise funds for rebuilding Stormwind before introducing him to the paladins.
- After he was raised up as an undead, he probably developed somewhat violent and frightening traits, evidenced by his irritated quotes when he is clicked on continuously.
- can be fished from the Dalaran fountain.
- is named after him.
- Alonsus Faol has a Server named after him.
- He appears to be a planned champion. See Follower: Alonsus Faol.
- Faol is voiced by Gideon Emery.
- His original name, before he became an archbishop, may have been "Farol," changing it sometime after becoming Archbishop. One source credits a character called "Archbishop Farol of Lordaeron" with creating the Knights of the Silver Hand. Although this could have been an error or typo.
An aged Archbishop led a ceremony in which Taelan became a paladin. It is unknown whether the Archbishop was Alonsus.
A natural death?
It is currently unknown when exactly he died. There are some conflicting sources: Both Of Blood and Honor (year 19) and Arthas: Rise of the Lich King in which he appeared are set after Day of the Dragon (year 10), which claims that Alonsus is already dead around that time. As Arthas: Rise of the Lich King was released almost 9 years after Day of the Dragon, it can be assumed to be the more up to date account.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.
- ^ Rise of the Lich King
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
- ^ Of Blood and Honor
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Legends of the Land, Sire Uther Lightbringer
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, A Brief History of the Fall of Azeroth, The Alliance of Lordaeron
- ^ Tides of Darkness
- ^ Shadows & Light, pg. 55, 169
Archbishop of the Church of Light
Benedictus / Twilight Father