A cunning and powerful dreadlord, Anetheron was second only to Tichondrius himself. He later seemed to take the place of Tichondrius for a brief period in the ranks of the nathrezim.
This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos or its expansion The Frozen Throne.
Anetheron waited in the Twisting Nether, acting as emissary of Archimonde to Tichondrius. He was one of the dreadlords assigned to watch over the Lich King, and grew agitated when they began to suspect the Lich King of treachery and possibly becoming a threat to the Burning Legion. But Tichondrius was confident that, despite his obvious ulterior motives, the Lich King was still providing the tools they needed to make way for the invasion. In a meeting in the Twisting Nether, Tichondrius assured Anetheron that everything was still well in his control.
When Archimonde came to the world, Anetheron went with him, and served as a personal guardsman. Anetheron showed his tenacity when he led the Scourge against the Sentinels, Alliance, and Horde in the final, climactic Battle of Mount Hyjal. He invaded the Great Alliance's base several times during the battle, calling infernals to serve him, with the objective of defeating the resistance so that Archimonde could ascend to crush the World Tree. However, Anetheron was killed during the battle.
Caverns of Time
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
- Main article: Anetheron (tactics)
Adventurers of the Horde and Alliance entered a time pocket of the Battle of Mount Hyjal. This time, however, Anetheron didn't fight throughout the entire battle, but he was defeated by Jaina Proudmoore, adventurers and troops of the Third War in the human base.
Warlords of Draenor
This section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
Anetheron returns with Archimonde to Draenor and is seen in Hellfire Citadel. He is once again defeated, this time by the adventurers of the Alliance and Horde.
- Anetheron: Is everything proceeding as planned, Tichondrius? Lord Archimonde demands a report on the Scourge.
- Tichondrius: The Lich King's young death knight has been performing well... almost too well. I begin to wonder if Ner'zhul has ulterior motives for his new... champion.
- Mephistroth: The human means nothing in the long run. Ner'zhul wouldn't dare undermine our efforts now.
- Anetheron: Our only concern is that the Scourge accomplishes what it was created to do. Archimonde will have all our heads if we do not keep control of this situation!
- Tichondrius: Believe me, brother. Neither the Lich King nor his undead lackeys will jeopardize the Legion's return!
- Anetheron: See that they do not. Lord Archimonde has little patience for failure.
World of Warcraft
- Main article: Anetheron (tactics)#Quotes
Level 10 Anetheron Statistics in Warcraft III
- 1300 HP (+ 13% more than a regular dreadlord)
- 600 MP (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 44-54 hero melee damage (same as a regular dreadlord) (+ 6 Orb of Lightning)
- 6 hero armor (+5 item)(same as a regular dreadlord)
- 42 Strength Primary Attribute (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 25 Agility (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 40 Intelligence (same as a regular dreadlord)
- Carrion Swarm
- Sleep (incapacitates enemy)
- Rain of Chaos (summons two, three or four (depending on the level of skill) infernals from the sky and does AoE stun on landing)
- In his World of Warcraft appearance, his wings are colored red, despite being orange in the previous appearance.
- Anetheron was originally one of the many demons summoned by Gul'dan in front of the Tomb of Sargeras during the battle for the Broken Shore, but he was eventually removed.