|A hologram of Argus, as seen in the Teluuna Observatory|
Argus is the original homeworld of the eredar (and hence the draenei). It was apparently an utopian world whose inhabitants were both vastly intelligent and highly gifted in magic, which became a demon world, and the stronghold of the Burning Legion.
Eventually, Argus attracted the attention of Sargeras. He offered the eredar a deal: in exchange for their loyalty, he would give them power undreamed of by all races. Kil'jaeden and Archimonde were quick to accept the offer, but Velen had a vision of the future: the eredar would be transformed into demons, under the rule of Sargeras. His advice to Kil'jaeden and Archimonde went unheeded, and he desperately sought a solution to this dilemma. Eventually, Velen was contacted by the naaru, and he fled with his followers, renaming his people the draenei, or "exiled ones", while Kil'jaeden, Archimonde and the rest of the eredar became the feared, insidious sorcerers and tacticians of the Burning Legion.
Argus knowingly contained various different terrain types, such as high and cold mountain ranges, one example of this being Kaarinos. It also had deserts, as revealed in Rise of the Horde, along with forests, lush plains, frozen tundras, and beyond.
One of the draenei's most memorable features of their homeworld is it's former capital city, Mac'Aree, which was the most sacred and beautiful of all cities on Argus. The walkways were lined with precious minerals and the rivers glittered even in complete darkness. The eredar, prior to their corruption by Sargeras, held a deep love and respect for Mac'Aree, which is still kept alive today by some of the draenei. holds the inscription: "I long for Mac'Aree".
- How (or if) the Argus Wake, a cult loyal to the Burning Legion, is connected to Argus is unknown.
- The tree Voluundira in Shadowmoon Valley originated from Argus.
- Argus featured powerful horned beasts, reminiscent of the tauren of Azeroth. The eredar hunted these beasts for sport.
- The word "Argus" is also present in StarCraft: Brood War, another Blizzard strategy game. The Argus Talisman grants Dark Archons more energy, the Argus Jewel does the same for Dark Templar Corsairs and the Argus Stone exists on Aridas. None of these entities or groups are related to the world of Argus. It is not known what the name implies in relation to Blizzard's universes.
- Argus or Argos (Anc. Greek: Ἄργος) is the name of several mythological figures, as well as one of the major cities of Bronze Age Greece. The adjective ἀργὸς in Ancient Greek has the possible meaning of 'glistening' or 'shining' and is in accord with characteristics observed in the Draenei race, for example their affinity for the Light and the wide usage of gems and crystals in their theme and culture (e.g. the Exodar, , the description of Mac'Aree).
- The adjective form of Argus is Argussian (see ).
- ^ a b Adventure Guide: Auchindon - Azzakel.
- ^ Jessera of Mac'Aree
- ^ Anchorite Vaanala says: We brought this sapling with us from our home, and now it's dying. I cannot sense any evil nearby, but I will keep trying.
- ^ Kuros during : "On Argus, we hunted powerful horned beasts like your Tauren for sport. Prove your might over this worthy adversary!"
- ^ Argus Stone