Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian
- For the boss in Stratholme, see . For the achievement, see .
Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian is a powerful staff passed down through the line of the Guardians of Tirisfal up until and including , the last Guardian. It is currently wielded by Medivh's former apprentice, . The staff was born from the "seed of hate" and grants its wielder "power unending". It was passed down by each Guardian of Tirisfal to its successor.
Its date of creation is unknown, but it is known that Atiesh was forged from the "seed of hate" and was wielded by each Guardian of Tirisfal until the line ended with . This would set the age of Atiesh at thousands of years.
Following the assassination of Medivh, the staff was brought to Dalaran where it was held by successive members of the Kirin Tor, who all found their deaths soon (except for highborne sorcerer Tarsis Kir-Moldir, it appears). After all these deaths, it was decided that the staff was to be put "behind impenetrable barriers of magic" and a "watcher" was appointed: Angela Dosantos. The shattering of the staff came about following the destruction of Dalaran by , probably due to the failsafe system of the magical barrier. Atiesh was shattered into forty-two pieces which were scattered across all of Azeroth. held the , which he somehow lost to . The Scourge captured the forty-one other pieces, twenty of which were initially held by Tarsis. Forty pieces of Atiesh were each entrusted to a different lieutenant of within Naxxramas, while the fallen mage himself held the staff's head.
When Naxxramas appeared over the Eastern Plaguelands, the Argent Dawn attempted to prevent this powerful focus of power from falling into the hands of the necromancer-lich, Kel'Thuzad, and were apparently successful in their mission.
During the War against the Iron Horde, Medivh's former apprentice is seen wielding Atiesh. It is unclear how he has obtained it, as it was last seen in Med'an's possession. The most likely answer is Med'an gave it to him.
Khadgar continues to use it in Legion.
In World of Warcraft
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian, is a legendary caster staff which could be assembled via a quest prior to the release of Patch 3.0.2, when Naxxramas moved back to Northrend. The quest begins inside Naxxramas and involves obtaining several parts of the staff.
- The staff could be obtained by mages, warlocks, priests, and druids.
- The item stats vary slightly for each class.
- The cloth portion of the staff varies based on which version it is: green for druids, red for mages, white for priests, and blue for warlocks.
- The staff provides the ability to open a portal to Medivh's tower of Karazhan; however, at the time of Atiesh's release into World of Warcraft, Karazhan had yet to be implemented. It was opened upon the release of Burning Crusade. The portal leads to the front door of Karazhan.
Assembling the staff
- 's underlings in Naxxramas each have a chance to drop a .
- Once all 40 Splinters have been found, they may be combined into the , which gives a quest to visit the dragon . Players were then given a quest to obtain the staff head and base of Atiesh. They had to be at least neutral with the Brood of Nozdormu to be able to talk to to complete the quest and hence be able to pick up the following quest to obtain the head and base.
- drops the .
- The drops from C'Thun in the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.
- The final step was going to Stratholme to cleanse the staff, followed by slaying the demon Atiesh. The summoning location was in the Festival Lane west of the Alonsus Chapel, in between the western ("Scarlet") and eastern (Scourge) districts of Stratholme.
- In Warcraft III, Medivh was seen with Atiesh. This was apparently retconned given Angela's story.
- In Karazhan, the ghost of Medivh's father, the optional boss Nielas Aran, reacts to raid members equipped with Atiesh: "Where did you get that?! Did HE send you??", possibly believing that Medivh gave his staff to the wielder.
- In Return to Karazhan, the also reacts, yelling "My staff... a relic, yes, but MINE!".
- It was the first legendary caster item added to the game.
- Although the quest chain can no longer be started, players on the step or later who have already obtained all of the items from the original Naxxramas can still complete it.
- Aegwynn has been portrayed as wielding both Atiesh and . This is because Aluneth did not always obey her. For example, when Aegwynn battled the , she had to summon Atiesh instead.
- Khadgar has been wielding Atiesh since before the war in Draenor, but according to Ultimate Visual Guide - Updated and Expanded, it was still in Med'an's hands at this time.
- Med'an was said to have restored Atiesh simply by holding it while he was imbued with the powers of the New Council of Tirisfal. However Med'an's stint as a Guardian has since been declared non-canon, so he accomplished this without the powers of a Guardian.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): With the removal of original 40-man Naxxramas, the Atiesh quest-chain is no longer available, as has been removed from the drop tables of the bosses.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Can no longer open portals in battlegrounds.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22):
- The mage version of the staff changed to +28 critical strike rating from a flat +3% critical strike.
- The party aura from these items will now be reapplied correctly when a player logs into the game while already mounted.
- Patch 1.12.1 (2006-09-26): Fixed a bug where the warlock version would cause all healing done by party members under the effects of the staff to be reduced to zero.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Added.
- , Feat of Strength achievement for equipping this staff.
- , the quest item.
- , the druid version.
- , the mage version.
- , the priest version.
- , the warlock version.