- For information on Baron Rivendare in Naxxramas, see Four Horsemen. For his original encounter in Stratholme, see Baron Rivendare (tactics).
Member of the Four Horsemen, Master of Stratholme, Baron
Unknown (Lore), Various Locations
Baron Rivendare is a powerful death knight in the service of the Lich King. Originally ruling over the city of Stratholme for the Scourge, he now leads the Four Horsemen of Naxxramas in place of Highlord Mograine.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 In the RPG
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Speculation
- 7 Images
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Third War
In life, Baron Rivendare was a rich landowner in Stratholme and a friend to Kel'Thuzad who convinced him to join the Cult of the Damned. He eventually became a death knight and was placed in control of the burning remains of Stratholme. When he became a champion of the Scourge, he condemnded his favorite horse to join him in undeath.
Legends: A Cleansing Fire
After Arthas left for Northrend, Rivendare sent a shipment of food to a village of Lordaeron where Thomas Thomson happened to be. When the villagers turned into mindless zombies, Thomas understood that Rivendare is a traitor.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
He coordinated the efforts of the Lich King in the Plaguelands, and battled with agents of the Argent Dawn sent to Stratholme to kill him. At some point, he held captive Ysida Harmon. He was later part of the invasion of the Scarlet Enclave and eventually became a member of the Four Horsemen in Naxxramas.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Rivendare appears in the instanced version of Acherus: The Ebon Hold next to Highlord Darion Mograine. While passing the death knight quest line the Baron changes his location and can be found in the Crypt of Remembrance. He gives the quest .
He also appears in the 10 and 25-man versions of Naxxramas, replacing Alexandros Mograine as the fourth member of the Four Horsemen. He was defeated once more but his ultimate status remains unclear as he will never fully be destroyed until Kel'Thuzad meets his end.
|Plaguelands: The Scarlet Enclave||??||139,450|
|Plaguelands: The Scarlet Enclave||??||348,625|
In the RPG
Once a wealthy human landowner, the plague corrupted Rivendare and he pledged himself as a death knight. Rivendare’s duty is to round up and murder any human survivors he can find, and he and his patrols do just that.
Once, Baron Rivendare was a wealthy Lordaeron landowner and a friend of Kel'Thuzad. He fell under the necromancer’s sway and helped build and structure the Cult of the Damned. Rivendare then achieved the title and powers of a death knight. Now, Rivendare has his base in Stratholme. He serves Kel'Thuzad eagerly and exults in his power. One of his greatest joys is to instill corruption in others, especially paladins, and most especially members of the Argent Dawn. This knight is a regal figure — his face is pale but aristocratic, and white hair hangs to his shoulders, while a scarf covers his face. He crouches over a horned, skeletal steed, and purple runes glitter across his black armor, cloak, and runeblade. Baron Rivendare excels at melee combat (especially mounted warfare) and he knows it. At the earliest possible moment, he charges, whether afoot or mounted on his skeletal horse, Deathcharger. Then the baron unleashes the dreadful power of his runeblade. He prefers to fight with created undead to support him, and he uses death pact on these to recover hit points. Rivendare enjoys testing his mettle against fellow close combat specialists, but strikes at arcanists and healers if they prove bothersome.
- Main article: Baron Rivendare (tactics)
In the Scarlet Enclave
<Rivendare shakes his head.>
I am convinced that they are a unique lot amongst the humans. My theory is that they lack higher brain function, unable to logically assess a situation and calculate an outcome. One has only to make mention of the Light to get them frothing and battle ready - at which point they will rush headlong into any engagement with complete disregard for their own well being.
Taunting the Crusaders
- The Scourge will consume you!
- Lambs to the slaughter...
- Concentrate your attacks on the weak!
- Main article: Four Horsemen
- The Model Viewer has him listed on one model as Baron Titus Rivendare, suggesting that Titus is his first name.
- Baron Rivendare is voiced by Jamieson Price.
- Baron Rivendare, along with the rest of the Four Horsemen, appear as the final boss encounter of the Military Quarter in the Curse of Naxxramas adventure found in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Defeating the boss encounter awards Rivendare as a legendary card.
- It is possible, that when Father Inigo Montoy took Kel'Thuzad's Phylactery he also took the head of Baron Rivendare. This would explain why the Baron is alive in Naxxramas and furthermore, why he is the leader of the four horsemen.
- There also exists a theory that the Rivendare in Scarlet Enclave and Naxxramas is not the real Rivendare, but an impostor, based on the text in the book On Stratholme.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed from Stratholme.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Now appears as one of the Four Horsemen in Naxxramas.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): You will now be able to make additional attempts at Baron Rivendare should your initial attempt fail.
|Ebon Hold||Crypt of Remembrance||Death's Breach|
Ruler of Stratholme
Lord Aurius Rivendare
Leader of the Four Horsemen