Black Tooth Grin clan
|Black Tooth Grin clan|
|The Black Tooth Grin clan banner.|
Sons of Blackhand
Merged with Blackrock clan
The Black Tooth Grin clan was an orcish clan created by Blackrock clan orcs loyal to Rend and Maim. The clan receives its name from the tradition that every recruit must knock out one of their own teeth to show their loyalty.
The Black Tooth Grin clan was originally part of the Blackrock clan. Right after the opening of the Dark Portal, Warchief Blackhand sent the scouts of the Bleeding Hollow and Black Tooth Grin clans to Azeroth.
After Blackhand was deposed as warchief, his sons Rend and Maim sought to establish their own power base within the Horde, forming the Black Tooth Grin clan. During the Second War, the Black Tooth Grins were responsible for guarding the Dark Portal and fought on the front lines during the campaign for Khaz Modan. After the betrayal of Gul'dan, Doomhammer sent the clan and its leader to the Broken Isles to deal with the traitor and his forces there. In the last days of the Second War, many members of the clan were captured by the Alliance and put into internment camps.
After the Third War, the Black Tooth Grin clan identity seems to have been mostly abolished as Rend and Maim now had fulfilled their original desire for control over the Blackrock clan. As such further history of its members and leadership can be found in the Blackrock clan article.
|Chieftain||Deceased||Hall of Blackhand, Blackrock Spire|
In Warcraft II
Chieftain: Rend and Maim, the sons of Blackhand
Clan Colors: Black
Background: The Black Tooth Grin clan was originally part of the Blackrock clan, but splintered off before the Horde's passing into Azeroth. After their father was deposed from his position as War Chief by Orgrim Doomhammer, Rend and Maim decided to gain control over their own faction within the Horde without directly opposing the Doomhammer's ascension to power. The Black Tooth Grin, noted for its custom of each member knocking out one of his own teeth to symbolize his loyalty to the clan, is charged with the protection and preservation of the dreaded Portal. The unity of The Black Tooth Grin may be sorely tested should the opportunity arise for Rend and Maim to reclaim their father's station and avenge his death.
In the RPG
Rend and Maim survived the battle over the Dark Portal. They took control of the survivors of the Blackrock and the Black Tooth Grin clans, and used them to form the Dark Horde, establishing their base at Blackrock Spire. However, the Dark Iron dwarves made war against the Dark Horde for control of Blackrock Spire. Maim was killed in battle, and Rend made an alliance with Nefarian so that he could drive back the dwarves. Rend now leads the various clans of the Dark Horde as their warchief.
- In the canceled Warcraft Adventures, Rend and Maim were about to sell the service of their Black Tooth Grin clan to Aedelas Blackmoore before to be stopped by Thrall.
- While the Black Tooth Grin clan was sent to the Broken Isles, the ghost are called to be from Blackrock clan.
- In earlier publications, the Black Tooth Grin clan was prefixed with a capitalized 'The'.
- The Fallen Grunts of Tol Barad are presumably members of the Black Tooth Grin.
- "Black Tooth Grin" was also a phrase sang by Dave Mustaine in the song "Sweating Bullets" by the popular metal band Megadeth. The phrase became popular after Pantera guitarist and prodigy "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott created an alcoholic drink named the "Black Tooth Grin" and even tattooed the phrase on his leg. The drink consists of a double shot whiskey (most commonly Crown Royal) and a splash of cola (enough to darken the whiskey to almost black, and a subtle flavoring).
- ^ a b c d e Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Clans of the Horde, The Black Tooth Grin Clan
- ^ Chronicle Volume 2
- ^ Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal manual, The Aftermath of the Second War
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, 168
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, 167
- ^ Dark Factions, 136
- ^ Dark Factions, 134
- ^ The Broken Isles (Warcraft III)