BlizzCon is an annual convention hosted by Blizzard Entertainment and held in the Anaheim Convention Center, near Disneyland in Southern California, about 10 miles from Blizzard's headquarters in Irvine. Blizzard reveals new game content and shows off their upcoming titles with playable demos, as well as offering numerous panels about their games, art displays, live tournaments, and much more.
The first BlizzCon was held in 2005, and was not an overly successful event. After a year off, BlizzCon returned in 2007, with the popularity of World of Warcraft pushing attendance far higher. The show has been held every year since then except 2012, with the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015 shows selling out immediately.
History of BlizzCons
- BlizzCon 2005 (October 28–29)
- BlizzCon 2007 (August 3–4, announced April 12)
- BlizzCon 2008 (October 10–11, announced May 12)
- BlizzCon 2009 (August 21–22, announced February 17)
- BlizzCon 2010 (October 22–23, announced March 25)
- BlizzCon 2011 (October 21–22, announced February 7)
- BlizzCon 2013 (November 8–9, announced February 19)
- BlizzCon 2014 (November 7–8, announced April 22)
- BlizzCon 2015 (November 6–7, announced March 12)
- BlizzCon 2016 (November 4–5, announced April 6)
BlizzCon is held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California over the course of two days (typically Friday and Saturday, from 10 am until 10 pm each day).
The cost of the ticket (which varies each year) grants fans entry to the convention hall for the two days of the event and an exclusive "Goodie Bag", which often contains things such as in-game prizes for World of Warcraft players, beta keys for upcoming Blizzard games, WoW TCG Cards, and other exclusive Blizzard paraphernalia. Since tickets are limited, dates for BlizzCon and online ticket sales are announced months in advance. On sale day, the tickets are often sold out within the first few hours of going on sale.
Blizzard generally saves major announcements about upcoming games for every BlizzCon. All of the World of Warcraft expansions except World of Warcraft: Legion have been announced at BlizzCon.