- This article is about the character biography of Lana'thel. For information on how to defeat Lana'thel in Icecrown Citadel, see .
|Former affiliation(s)||Kingdom of Quel'Thalas, Kael'thas' forces|
|Occupation||Blood-Queen of the San'layn|
|Status||Deceased (lore) / Killable|
- "Lana'thel shed tears for the lives of the elven kin she expected to lose during their war march to Northrend. She had no idea at the time that she would be the cause of many more."
Much of Lana'thel's life is unknown but what is known is that she was friends with and she lived in relatively peace until the Scourge came to Quel'Thalas. Following the destruction of Quel'Thalas, Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider returned from Dalaran and renamed his people the blood elves in honor of their murdered kin. As the blood elves began regroup and rebuild, a battle-hardened Lana'thel stumbled upon , the sword once wielded by her friend Thalorien.
After Kael'thas promoted to Regent Lord of Quel'Thalas and ordered him to safeguard their people, he took a force of blood elves with him to aid the Alliance against the Scourge forces in Lordaeron. Lana'thel would be one of the countless blood elves under his command as a series of events led them to Outland, making its new ruler, and then being sent to Icecrown to destroy the . Lana'thel readily followed her prince throughout all these dangerous adventures and was eager for revenge against the Scourge.
However, in the icy hills of Northrend, Arthas ultimately defeated Illidan and Kael'thas, and the expedition's few survivors were scattered across the frozen wastes. One by one the Lich King sought out those who had challenged him, and Lana'thel found herself cornered. Using Quel'Delar, she struck at him with all her might, but Frostmourne's evil powers overwhelmed her. Through his blade, the Lich King chose Lana'thel to serve him in undeath as blood-queen of the San'layn, a group responsible for overseeing the Scourge's operations across Azeroth.
Blood-Queen Lana'thel eagerly carried out her new duties, but every time she looked at her blade, maddening anger would swell within her as she remembered her former mortal life. She could not afford such distractions, and with a scream that echoed throughout Icecrown, she shattered Quel'Delar and flung the fractured pieces as far as she could.
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Lana'thel now makes her home in the Crimson Hall of Icecrown Citadel. She is protected by Keleseth, Taldaram, and Valanar, who were revived by the Lich King after they were defeated in Utgarde Keep, Ahn'kahet, and Naxxanar (respectively).
Lana'thel personally interrogated .
In these halls she met her ultimate demise.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|The Crimson Hall||??||6,109,656|
Cutscene at Quel'Delar's Rest
- As Alliance
- Caladis Brightspear says: I knew this was a dragonforged blade when I first laid eyes on it.
- Caladis Brightspear says: But can it be? Is this really --
- or Horde
- Myralion Sunblaze says: The style of this blade and its markings hinted that it might be a dragonforged sword. At last, we will have our answer.
- Myralion Sunblaze says: After all these years, can it really be --
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel appears out of nowhere walking up to Quel'Delar from the southwest. The four sentinels and war mages rush to the sword.
- Silver Covenant Sentinel says: You are not welcome here, minion of the !
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Quel'Delar.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel freezes the war mages and sentinels surrounding the sword.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Quiet, fools. If I had wished to kill you, you'd already be dead.
- While Blood-Queen Lana'thel speaks, images of what she talks about appear just north of the blade.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: As Kaldorei, its twin, Quel'Delar was given to my people. was forged by the dragons and given to the
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: The king bestowed the blade upon my friend, .
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: But even Thalorien's skill and Quel'Delar's magic could not save Silvermoon from the might of the Scourge.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Thalorien fell before the gates of the Sunwell, buying time for others to escape.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel walks north and kneels down to inspect the image of Thalorien.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: After the battle, I recovered the sword from the field. I bore it to Northrend in the service of my prince, seeking to avenge our people's defeat.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Arthas shattered our forces and took the most powerful of us into his service as the San'layn.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: My memories of Thalorien went cold and so did his blade.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: It was I who brought Quel'Delar here, to return it to its makers. In breaking the weapon, so did I break its power.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Quel'Delar will never serve another!
- The freeze fades and Blood-Queen Lana'thel appears to cast some spell on Quel'Delar, disappearing once again.
- Then, as Alliance
- Caladis Brightspear says: I vow that the Silver Covenant will see Quel'Delar restored.
- or Horde
- Myralion Sunblaze says: It falls to us to see Quel'Delar restored for the Sunreavers.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel is voiced by Jessica Straus.
Concept art of Blood-Queen Lana'thel by Red Knuckle.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Added.