- This article is about the character biography of Lana'thel. For information on how to defeat Lana'thel in Icecrown Citadel, see Blood-Queen Lana'thel (tactics).
Blood-Queen of the San'layn
Deceased (lore) / Killable
Following the destruction of their homeland, the determined blood elves began to regroup and rebuild. It was during this time that the battle-hardened warrior Lana'thel stumbled upon Quel'Delar, and soon afterward the greatest opportunity to use the blade presented itself: Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider raised an army and combined forces with Illidan Stormrage, who led them north to Icecrown on a mission to destroy the Lich King. Lana'thel readily followed her prince with one thought in mind—revenge against the Scourge—but only tragedy awaited her.
In the icy hills of Northrend, Arthas ultimately defeated Illidan and Kael'thas, and the expedition's few survivors were scattered across the frozen wastes. One by one the Lich King sought out those who had challenged him, and Lana'thel found herself cornered. Using Quel'Delar, she struck at him with all her might... but Frostmourne's evil powers overwhelmed her. Through his blade, the Lich King chose Lana'thel to serve him in undeath as blood-queen of the San'layn, a group responsible for overseeing the Scourge's operations across Azeroth.
Blood-Queen Lana'thel eagerly carried out her new duties, but every time she looked at her blade, maddening anger would swell within her as she remembered her former life. She could not afford such distractions, and with a scream that echoed throughout Icecrown, she shattered Quel'Delar and flung the fractured pieces as far as she could.
Lana'thel now makes her home in the Crimson Hall of Icecrown Citadel. She is protected by Keleseth, Taldaram, and Valanar, who she revived after they were defeated in Utgarde Keep, Ahn'kahet, and Naxxanar (respectively).
Cutscene at Quel'Delar's Rest
- As Alliance
- Caladis Brightspear says: I knew this was a dragonforged blade when I first laid eyes on it.
- Caladis Brightspear says: But can it be? Is this really --
- or Horde
- Myralion Sunblaze says: The style of this blade and its markings hinted that it might be a dragonforged sword. At last, we will have our answer.
- Myralion Sunblaze says: After all these years, can it really be --
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel appears out of nowhere walking up to Quel'Delar from the southwest. The four sentinels and war mages rush to the sword.
- Silver Covenant Sentinel says: You are not welcome here, minion of the Lich King!
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Quel'Delar.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel freezes the war mages and sentinels surrounding the sword.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Quiet, fools. If I had wished to kill you, you'd already be dead.
- While Blood-Queen Lana'thel speaks, images of what she talks about appear just north of the blade.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: As was forged by the dragons and given to the Kaldorei, its twin, Quel'Delar was given to my people.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: The king bestowed the blade upon my friend, Thalorien Dawnseeker.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: But even Thalorien's skill and Quel'Delar's magic could not save Silvermoon from the might of the Scourge.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Thalorien fell before the gates of the Sunwell, buying time for others to escape.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel walks north and kneels down to inspect the image of Thalorien.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: After the battle, I recovered the sword from the field. I bore it to Northrend in the service of my prince, seeking to avenge our people's defeat.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Arthas shattered our forces and took the most powerful of us into his service as the San'layn.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: My memories of Thalorien went cold and so did his blade.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: It was I who brought Quel'Delar here, to return it to its makers. In breaking the weapon, so did I break its power.
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel says: Quel'Delar will never serve another!
- The freeze fades and Blood-Queen Lana'thel appears to cast some spell on Quel'Delar, disappearing once again.
- Then, as Alliance
- Caladis Brightspear says: I vow that the Silver Covenant will see Quel'Delar restored.
- or Horde
- Myralion Sunblaze says: It falls to us to see Quel'Delar restored for the Sunreavers.
- She's voiced by Jessica Straus.
Concept art of Blood-Queen Lana'thel by Red Knuckle.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Added.