- "After suffering betrayal at the doorstep of his nemesis, a brave paladin was reborn in the searing heat of enchanted dragon flames. No longer fit to dwell among the living, alone he shall endure as the steward of a misbegotten throng."
- —Jailor of the Damned
Highlord Bolvar Fordragon was a venerated paladin of the Alliance and served as the Regent of Stormwind following the disappearance of King Varian Wrynn. Upon Varian's return, Bolvar was named the commander of the Alliance forces sent to take the battle to the Scourge in Northrend. After the treachery of Grand Apothecary Putress at the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate, Bolvar was killed by the Forsaken Blight and reanimated by the flames of the red dragonflight.
Bolvar's body was altered by the dragons' flame, and was taken by the Scourge into Icecrown Citadel, where he was tortured by the Lich King in an attempt to bend him to his will. However, the noble spirit of Bolvar resisted the Lich King's depravations. After the death of Arthas Menethil, the mortal host of the Lich King, Bolvar demanded that Tirion Fordring place the Helm of Domination, containing all of the powers of the Scourge, on his head so that he would forever be the jailer of the damned - imprisoning the Lich King within the Frozen Throne once more and containing the threat of the Scourge.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Location
- 3 In the RPG
- 4 Quests
- 5 World of Warcraft Trading Card Game
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Videos
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Patch changes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Regent of Stormwind
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Shortly after King Varian Wrynn was kidnapped, Bolvar Fordragon was made Regent-Lord of Stormwind and vowed to find and rescue King Varian at any cost. Lady Prestor also became a royal advisor, and convinced Highlord Bolvar to have King Varian's 10-year-old son, Anduin Wrynn, crowned King of Stormwind, though the actual power remained in Bolvar's hands until either Varian was returned or Anduin reached the age of ascension.
World of Warcraft: The Comic
Highlord Bolvar Fordragon was seen in the welcome parade in Stormwind City, escorting the recently found and returned King Varian Wrynn. As time went on, he noticed a change in King Varian whenever he was around Lady Katrana Prestor. The King Varian that returned became more frivolous, uninterested in matters of state, and deferred to Lady Katrana's judgments on rulings that would have in the past, offended the king's sense of honor. Changes that even the young Prince Anduin Wrynn noticed as well. Although these changes are new in the returned Varian, it was clear that the returned king still harbored an undeniable love for his son. Under Prince Anduin's insistence, Bolvar investigated the circumstances of King Varian's abduction. Bolvar sent Marshal Reginald Windsor to investigate a lead that may explain the king's new behavior while he stayed in Stormwind, keeping Prince Anduin safe and trying to keep the kingdom and the Alliance from falling apart from Lady Katrana's harmful advice.
One day, in Stormwind City, King Magni Bronzebeard was on a visit and was discussing war plans against the orcs and Dark Iron dwarves with King "Varian" and Bolvar Fordragon. However, Varian Wrynn was counseled by Lady Katrana Prestor to not send troops to help the dwarves fight against the dark irons, who have recently taken Thandol Span. King Magni left disappointed in Varian's subservience to Lady Prestor's wishes and his dishonorable demeanor. Bolvar tried to keep relations with King Magni amicable by explaining to him that he could not understand how Thandol Span had fallen as he thought he had ordered a contingent of reinforcements to the area. It was only until Lady Katrana chimed in that she revealed that she had rescinded his orders.
The Highlord continued to watch over Prince Anduin until Marshal Windsor returned to the keep with another King Varian named "Lo'Gosh". Marshal Windsor revealed Lady Katrana to be the broodmother Onyxia. With Onyxia's ruse uncovered, several Stormwind Guards transformed into dragonspawn to defend their matriarch; leading to a fight in Stormwind Keep. Anduin, who heard the commotion, ran off to investigate the ruckus. Highlord Bolvar followed in pursuit and joined the battle to secure the keep. The heroes of the Alliance managed to secure the keep but unfortunately, Onyxia got away with Prince Anduin as a hostage. The two King Varians, whom Bolvar noticed had certain parts of the original King Varian's personality, left Bolvar in charge of Stormwind while they led an army to slay Onyxia and rescue the prince.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Upon Varian's return, Bolvar aided in the defense of Stormwind against a surprise Scourge attack, and afterwards led the armies of the Alliance to Northrend, where he aids Alliance players in defeating the lich Thel'zan the Duskbringer. In a bold maneuver, his forces laid siege to Angrathar the Wrathgate, the rear entrance to the dread Icecrown Citadel. Both Bolvar and Dranosh Saurfang, commander of the Horde's Kor'kron Vanguard, confronted the Lich King himself, with both Alliance and Horde armies in the battle. During the encounter, in which Saurfang fell to Frostmourne, a plague explosion rang out among the Alliance and Horde army, and out came Grand Apothecary Putress. Announcing to the Scourge leader that the Forsaken have neither forgotten nor forgiven him, a number of catapults moved behind him and launched an unprovoked attack on both Alliance and Horde forces as well as the Scourge. Bolvar ordered his troops to fall back, but was eventually killed by the gas, the life sucked out of him, and his very body rotting before finally dying. The Forsaken attack was considered by the Alliance to be outright treachery on the part of the Horde, giving King Varian — who had considered Bolvar a brother — a reason to purge the Horde from Lordaeron. Enraged, Varian led Alliance forces in a to bring Putress to justice.
- There is a dialogue between Korialstrasz and Alexstrasza after the Wrathgate event. Due to a bug which allowed some players to speak Draconic, some players were able to read and translate Alexstrasza's words:
- Alexstrasza: [Draconic] They must not discover the fate of the young paladin. Not yet.
Fall of the Lich King
It was later revealed that Bolvar had been captured by the Scourge, after being reanimated by the flames of the red dragonflight which had also horrifically charred him beyond recognition. He was tortured mercilessly by the Lich King. Despite the Lich King's extensive efforts to corrupt him, Bolvar refused to yield.
During the final battle with Arthas, atop Icecrown Citadel, Bolvar can be seen chained above the Frozen Throne. A cinematic plays when the Lich King is slain.
Jailer of the Damned
After Arthas Menethil, mortal host of the Lich King, was slain, the spirit of King Terenas warned that an uncontrolled Scourge would be all the more dangerous. For the good of Azeroth, "there must always be a Lich King." Somebody would have to sacrifice his mortal life to take Arthas's place. Tirion Fordring took up the Helm of Domination, the crown of the Lich King, preparing to don it himself. As he did so, Bolvar intervened, calling from his seat upon the Frozen Throne, his body warped by the red dragonflight's fire. As a last act of service to Azeroth, Bolvar asked that Tirion place the Helm of Domination on his head. As the self-appointed "Jailer of the Damned," Bolvar seeks to keep the Scourge under control. As Bolvar encased himself and the Frozen Throne once again in ice, he warned Tirion that no one could know what happened. Bolvar instructed Tirion to tell the world that the Lich King was dead - and that Bolvar Fordragon died with him.
While encased in ice, Bolvar has bound many Scourge to his will, including the remaining val'kyr until they were freed by Sylvanas. However, the transition wasn't easy for Bolvar and he doesn't have control over the Scourge and Cult of the Damned operating in the Plaguelands.
In the RPG
Lord Bolvar was as stalwart and loyal of a soldier as they come, perhaps to a fault. While he did his best to look after Stormwind’s interests, he seemed to have fallen under the charm of the alluring Lady Katrana Prestor, much like many others in the kingdom. By deferring to her judgment, he had allowed for some crucial gaps in the defenses of human-controlled territory. He was one of the few who was aware that the true king of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn, was missing (and probably alive). This was one of the justifications for keeping most of Stormwind’s army centralized; Katrana had convinced Bolvar that the boy King, Anduin, would be the next target of whoever captured or killed the real King on his diplomatic mission. It was suspected that Varian was captured because his trip to Theramore signified an effort to make peace with the Horde, and a number of forces wished the fighting between the Alliance and the Horde to continue.
World of Warcraft Trading Card Game
In the Trading Card Game
- "Today, we celebrate this glorious victory!" 
- "It is a tragedy. I think... I believe that our kind is cursed. We are cursed to lose our greatest warriors; our most noble heroes; our most gifted scholars."
- "Our efforts in Lordaeron have been all for nought. Despite numerous setbacks, the Scourge remain unfazed. We must cut them off at the source."
- "The time draws near to sail for Northrend. I don't know what awaits us; only that our enemies are numerous and are eager for our slaughter."
- "But we cannot pursue any other path in good conscience. Azeroth depends on our vigilance."
Battle of Angrathar the Wrath Gate
- Arthas! The blood of your father, of your people demands justice! Come forth coward, and answer for your crimes!
- You will pay for all the lives you've stolen, traitor.
- NEVER! I... I will never... serve... you...
Icecrown Citadel - The Frozen Throne
- Tirion walks over to the Helm of Domination, bends down to pick it up and examines the face of it.
- Tirion Fordring: The weight of such a burden... ... It must be mine, for there is no other to--
- Bolvar Fordragon: Tirion...
- The scorched caricature of Bolvar is revealed, sitting atop the Frozen Throne.
- Bolvar Fordragon: You hold a grim destiny in your hands, brother ... but it is not your own.
- Tirion Fordring: Bolvar... By all that is holy...
- Bolvar Fordragon: The dragons' flame... sealed my fate... The world of the living can no longer comfort me.
- Tirion has ascended the stairs to the Throne and we see him taking the last two steps to stand before Bolvar.
- Bolvar Fordragon: Place the crown upon my head, Tirion. Forevermore - I will be the jailor of the damned.
- Tirion Fordring: NO, old friend... I cannot...
- Bolvar Fordragon: DO IT TIRION! You and these brave heroes have your own destinies to fulfill. This last act of service... is mine.
- Tiron turns toward Bolvar with the Helm of Domination cradled in his hands before him.
- Tirion Fordring: You will not be forgotten... brother.
- Bolvar Fordragon: I MUST be forgotten, Tirion! If the world is to live free from the tyranny of fear - they must never know what was done here today.
- Tirion nods and accedes to Bolvar's request, sliding the helm onto his head. The chamber begins to shake violently as Tirion looks around. There is a flash of light and Bolvar's eyes are glowing golden yellow through the eye slits of the helm.
- Bolvar Fordragon: Tell them only that the Lich King is dead...
- Bolvar's voice changes, acquiring the Lich King's characteristic echo.
- Bolvar Fordragon/Lich King: and that Bolvar Fordragon died with him...
- The Frozen Throne freezes over, encasing Bolvar in ice.
- Bolvar Fordragon/Lich King: NOW GO. LEAVE THIS PLACE - AND NEVER RETURN.
Bolvar Fordragon on the Frozen Throne.
- Chris Metzen stated that when they wrote and finished the Wrathgate Cinematic they didn't necessarily know how things would play out. But due to a massive feedback of the community regarding the fate of Bolvar they decided to make him the new Lich King.
- Bolvar shares a last name with Mara Fordragon.
- The idea for Bolvar's appearance could be likened to pirate Raithen of the Diablo novel " The Black Road". Burned to death by the Demon Kabraxxis's fire, then resurrected by traces of a spell the demon used to raise skeletons, he walked the line between dead and alive. This is similar to Bolvar. Killed by the Forsaken attack, then resurrected by the Red Dragons' fire.
- Bolvar appears on the loading screen for Northrend with the introduction of the Cataclysm expansion.
- After killing Archbishop Benedictus in the Hour of Twilight, you get the option of talking to Bishop Farthing within the Cathedral of Light. He dismisses claims of Benedictus' betrayal as mere rumours, and makes a mention that there has been similar rumors of Bolvar's current identity circulating in Stormwind.
- is named after him, a reward from the Alliance version of .
- He's voiced by Carlos Larkin.
- He is the Vision of the Forlorn.
- Even though he asked Tirion not to tell anyone about his fate, some other characters know about him, including Darion Mograine, Varian Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore. Bishop Farthing also said that he had heard some nasty rumors.
- When Bolvar was stationed in Stormwind City, he used a combination of warrior and paladin abilities: , , , , and Highlord's Justice (an AoE version of ).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Relocated to Fordragon Hold; replaced by Varian Wrynn as faction leader.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Updated for level 70.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Racial "Leaders" have been strengthened, and are now worth slightly less honor.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07):
- Highlord Bolvar Fordragon should no longer despawn when "The Great Masquerade" is activated.
- Highlord Bolvar Fordragon is once again the Stormwind faction leader.
- Patch 1.4.1 (2005-05-05):
- Archbishop Benedictus staged a temporary coup, and has taken the title of NPC leader of Stormwind City from Highlord Bolvar! Horde seeking to take out the leader of Stormwind should focus their efforts on Archbishop Benedictus for the duration. These changes will remain until the next content patch, when Highlord Bolvar reclaims his rightful throne:
- Highlord Bolvar should be respawning between 5 and 8 minutes.
- Bolvar will give no contribution points.
- ^ WoW TCG Card from BlizzCon 2010
- ^ TCG Servants of the Betrayer/136
- ^ Light's Hammer#Quotes
- ^ a b Edge of Night
- ^ http://fortune.worldofwarcraft.com/ World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Your Fortune Awaits
- ^ a b c Ultimate Visual Guide, 55
- ^ World of Warcraft manual, pg 170
- ^ Hecht, Eliah 2008-10-15. Shadow Council gnome rogues learn Draconic. WoW.com. Retrieved on 2010-01-12.
- ^ Chris Metzen on the BlizzCon 2011: Lore Q&A Liveblog
- ^ Alliance Player's Guide, 163
- ^ World of Warcraft Trading Card Game: Through the Dark Portal. Blizzard Entertainment. 136.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Issue 3, page 32
- ^ Bishop Farthing Gossip "Rumors, child. Rumors have a way of attaching themselves to people of power. In fact, I recently heard a particularly nasty one about the late lord Bolvar."
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
|Stormwind City (pre-3.0.2)||Fordragon Hold||Wintergarde Mausoleum||Icecrown Citadel|
Ruler of Stormwind
(as Regent Lord to Anduin Wrynn)
Lich King of the Scourge (alone)