Jailer of the Damned,
Lord of Icecrown,
Regent Lord of Stormwind (formerly),
|Character class||Paladin (formerly)|
|Former affiliation(s)||Alliance, Kingdom of Stormwind, Valiance Expedition|
The Lich King
- "After suffering betrayal at the doorstep of his nemesis, a brave paladin was reborn in the searing heat of enchanted dragon flames. No longer fit to dwell among the living, alone he shall endure as the steward of a misbegotten throng."
- —Jailor of the Damned
Highlord Bolvar Fordragon was a venerated paladin of the Alliance and served as the Regent of Stormwind following the disappearance of King Varian Wrynn. Upon Varian's return, Bolvar was named the commander of the Alliance forces sent to take the battle to the Scourge in Northrend. After the treachery of Grand Apothecary Putress at the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate, Bolvar was nearly killed by the Forsaken Blight, but was kept at the edge of life by the flames of the red dragonflight.
Bolvar's body was altered by the dragons' flame, and was taken by the Scourge into Icecrown Citadel, where he was tortured by the Lich King in an attempt to bend him to his will. However, the noble spirit of Bolvar resisted the Lich King's depravations. After the death of Arthas Menethil, the mortal host of the Lich King, Bolvar demanded that Tirion Fordring place the Helm of Domination, containing all of the powers of the Scourge, on Bolvar's head so that he would forever be the jailer of the damned - imprisoning the Lich King within the Frozen Throne once more and containing the threat of the Scourge.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Quests
- 3 In the RPG
- 4 World of Warcraft Trading Card Game
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Speculation
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Patch changes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Regent of Stormwind
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Shortly after King Varian Wrynn was kidnapped, Bolvar Fordragon was made Regent-Lord of Stormwind and vowed to find and rescue King Varian at any cost. Lady Prestor also became a royal advisor, and convinced Highlord Bolvar to have King Varian's 10-year-old son, Anduin Wrynn, crowned King of Stormwind, though the actual power remained in Bolvar's hands until either Varian was returned or Anduin reached the Age of Ascension.
World of Warcraft: The Comic
Highlord Bolvar Fordragon was seen in the welcome parade in Stormwind City, escorting the recently found and returned King Varian Wrynn. As time went on, he noticed a change in King Varian whenever he was around Lady Katrana Prestor. The King Varian that returned became more frivolous, uninterested in matters of state, and deferred to Lady Katrana's judgments on rulings that would have in the past, offended the king's sense of honor. Changes that even the young Prince Anduin Wrynn noticed as well. Although these changes are new in the returned Varian, it was clear that the returned king still harbored an undeniable love for his son. Under Prince Anduin's insistence, Bolvar investigated the circumstances of King Varian's abduction. Bolvar sent Marshal Reginald Windsor to investigate a lead that may explain the king's new behavior while he stayed in Stormwind, keeping Prince Anduin safe and trying to keep the kingdom and the Alliance from falling apart from Lady Katrana's harmful advice.
One day, in Stormwind City, King Magni Bronzebeard was on a visit and was discussing war plans against the orcs and Dark Iron dwarves with King "Varian" and Bolvar Fordragon. However, Varian Wrynn was counseled by Lady Katrana Prestor to not send troops to help the dwarves fight against the dark irons, who have recently taken Thandol Span. King Magni left disappointed in Varian's subservience to Lady Prestor's wishes and his dishonorable demeanor. Bolvar tried to keep relations with King Magni amicable by explaining to him that he could not understand how Thandol Span had fallen as he thought he had ordered a contingent of reinforcements to the area. It was only until Lady Katrana chimed in that she revealed that she had rescinded his orders.
The Highlord continued to watch over Prince Anduin until Marshal Windsor returned to the keep with another King Varian named "Lo'Gosh". Marshal Windsor revealed Lady Katrana to be the broodmother Onyxia. With Onyxia's ruse uncovered, several Stormwind Guards transformed into dragonspawn to defend their matriarch; leading to a fight in Stormwind Keep. Anduin, who heard the commotion, ran off to investigate the ruckus. Highlord Bolvar followed in pursuit and joined the battle to secure the keep. The heroes of the Alliance managed to secure the keep but unfortunately, Onyxia got away with Prince Anduin as a hostage. The two King Varians, whom Bolvar noticed had certain parts of the original King Varian's personality, left Bolvar in charge of Stormwind while they led an army to slay Onyxia and rescue the prince.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Upon Varian's return, Bolvar aided in the defense of Stormwind against a surprise Scourge attack, and afterwards led the armies of the Alliance to Northrend, where he aids Alliance players in defeating the lich Thel'zan the Duskbringer. In a bold maneuver, his forces laid siege to Angrathar the Wrathgate, the rear entrance to the dread Icecrown Citadel. Both Bolvar and Dranosh Saurfang, commander of the Horde's Kor'kron Vanguard, confronted the Lich King himself, with both Alliance and Horde armies in the battle. During the encounter, in which Saurfang fell to Frostmourne, a plague explosion rang out among the Alliance and Horde army, and out came Grand Apothecary Putress. Announcing to the Scourge leader that the Forsaken have neither forgotten nor forgiven him, a number of catapults moved behind him and launched an unprovoked attack on both Alliance and Horde forces as well as the Scourge. Bolvar ordered his troops to fall back, but was brought down by the gas. As he gasped his last breaths, Alexstrasza the Life-Binder and her red dragons arrived and breathed cleansing flames across the battlefield, searing away the poison from the air and the plagued flesh from the bodies, leaving only charred remains.
- There is a dialogue between Korialstrasz and Alexstrasza after the Wrathgate event. Due to a bug which allowed some players to speak Draconic, some players were able to read and translate Alexstrasza's words:
- Alexstrasza: [Draconic] They must not discover the fate of the young paladin. Not yet.
Bolvar's shield is recovered by Alliance warriors at the behest of Alexstrasza and returned to King Varian in . The Forsaken attack was considered by the Alliance to be outright treachery on the part of the Horde, giving King Varian — who had considered Bolvar a brother — a reason to purge the Horde from Lordaeron. Enraged, Varian led Alliance forces in a to bring Putress to justice.
Fall of the Lich King
As the forces of the Horde and Alliance made their way into Icecrown Citadel, it was revealed that Bolvar had been captured by the Scourge, having been kept somewhere between life and death by the flames of the red dragonflight which had also horrifically charred him beyond recognition. He was tortured mercilessly by the Lich King. Despite the Lich King's extensive efforts to corrupt him, Bolvar refused to yield.
During the final battle with Arthas, atop Icecrown Citadel, Bolvar can be seen chained above the Frozen Throne.
Jailer of the Damned
After Arthas Menethil, the Lich King, was slain, the spirit of King Terenas warned that an uncontrolled Scourge would be all the more dangerous. For the good of Azeroth, "there must always be a Lich King." Somebody would have to take Arthas' place. Tirion Fordring took up the Helm of Domination, the crown of the Lich King, preparing to don it himself. As he did so, Bolvar intervened, calling from his seat upon the Frozen Throne, his body warped by the red dragonflight's fire. As a last act of service to Azeroth, Bolvar asked that Tirion place the Helm of Domination on his head. As the self-appointed "Jailer of the Damned," Bolvar sought to keep the Scourge under control. As Bolvar encased himself and the Frozen Throne once again in ice, he warned Tirion that no one could know what happened. Bolvar instructed Tirion to tell the world that the Lich King was dead — and that Bolvar Fordragon died with him.
While encased in ice, Bolvar bound many Scourge to his will, including the remaining val'kyr until they were freed by Sylvanas. However, the Scourge and Cult of the Damned operating in the Plaguelands are autonomous.
Warlords of Draenor
This section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Several years before the events of Legion, Lyandra Sunstrider traveled to Icecrown to locate and was killed by the remaining Scourge within the citadel. When a mage adventurer arrives on request of Aethas Sunreaver to locate Lyandra and Felo'melorn, Bolvar states that the mage can try to take the sword, but if they fail they too will join the Scourge.
The Lich King and the Knights of the Ebon Blade come to an agreement: the death knights will serve as the arm for his vengeance against the Legion, and he will give them powerful weapons to combat the demonic invasion. Bolvar directs death knights to and the , but is heavily involved in the Blades of the Fallen Prince. Calling a champion of the death knights to Icecrown, he has the champion gather the shards of Frostmourne, defeat tortured souls that remained within the shards, and reforge them into two new blades. As one final test, the champion must enter the blades and quell the darkness inside. Within the shards of Frostmourne, echoes of Ner'zhul and Arthas can be found with Ner'zhul tempting Arthas to take up Frostmourne.
Once the three artifacts are obtained, Bolvar brings the death knights to the Frozen Throne and bestows his blessing upon them. Under Bolvar's orders, the Ebon Blade are to follow the wielders of the artifacts' orders as if they were his own.
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
Before he was replaced by Varian, he was involved in the following quests:
In the RPG
Lord Bolvar was as stalwart and loyal of a soldier as they come, perhaps to a fault. While he did his best to look after Stormwind’s interests, he seemed to have fallen under the charm of the alluring Lady Katrana Prestor, much like many others in the kingdom. By deferring to her judgment, he had allowed for some crucial gaps in the defenses of human-controlled territory. He was one of the few who was aware that the true king of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn, was missing (and probably alive). This was one of the justifications for keeping most of Stormwind’s army centralized; Katrana had convinced Bolvar that the boy King, Anduin, would be the next target of whoever captured or killed the real King on his diplomatic mission. It was suspected that Varian was captured because his trip to Theramore signified an effort to make peace with the Horde, and a number of forces wished the fighting between the Alliance and the Horde to continue.
World of Warcraft Trading Card Game
In the Trading Card Game
- "Today, we celebrate this glorious victory!" 
- "It is a tragedy. I think... I believe that our kind is cursed. We are cursed to lose our greatest warriors; our most noble heroes; our most gifted scholars."
- "Our efforts in Lordaeron have been all for nought. Despite numerous setbacks, the Scourge remain unfazed. We must cut them off at the source."
- "The time draws near to sail for Northrend. I don't know what awaits us; only that our enemies are numerous and are eager for our slaughter."
- "But we cannot pursue any other path in good conscience. Azeroth depends on our vigilance."
Varian monument in Valiance Keep
- A statue of King Varian, alias Lo'Gosh, stands in Valiance Keep in the Borean Tundra, bearing an inscription by Bolvar.
In tribute to King Varian Wrynn
known to some as LO'GOSH the "Ghost Wolf"
His miraculous return from long years of exile and hardship has ignited a new fire of spirit and courage within the Alliance.
We shall march boldly into these perilous lands holding his valor and his tenacity in our hearts.
- Highlord Bolvar Fordragon
Battle of Angrathar the Wrath Gate
- Arthas! The blood of your father, of your people demands justice! Come forth coward, and answer for your crimes!
- You will pay for all the lives you've stolen, traitor.
- NEVER! I... I will never... serve... you...
Icecrown Citadel - The Frozen Throne
- Tirion walks over to the Helm of Domination, bends down to pick it up and examines the face of it.
- Tirion Fordring: The weight of such a burden... ... It must be mine, for there is no other to--
- Bolvar Fordragon: Tirion...
- Tirion looks up in response as someone calls his name.
- Bolvar Fordragon: You hold a grim destiny in your hands, brother ... but it is not your own.
- The of is revealed, sitting atop the Frozen Throne. Tirion's tone is heartened that Fordragon is not dead in one moment, but equally horrified the next as he takes in Bolvar's condition.
- Tirion Fordring: Bolvar... By all that is holy...
- Bolvar Fordragon: The dragons' flame... sealed my fate... The world of the living can no longer comfort me.
- Tirion has ascended the stairs to the Throne and we see him taking the last two steps to stand before Bolvar.
- Bolvar Fordragon: Place the crown upon my head, Tirion. Forevermore - I will be the jailor of the damned.
- With a shake of his head, Tirion turns his back on Bolvar, preparing to walk away.
- Tirion Fordring: NO, old friend... I cannot...
- Bolvar Fordragon: DO IT TIRION! You and these brave heroes have your own destinies to fulfill. This last act of service... is mine.
- Tirion closes his eyes in a moment of pained resignation and turns back to face Bolvar, cradling the helm in both hands. The two paladins look at each other for a few moments before Tirion next softly speaks, sadness in his tone.
- Tirion Fordring: You will not be forgotten... brother.
- Bolvar Fordragon: I MUST be forgotten, Tirion! If the world is to live free from the tyranny of fear - they must never know what was done here today.
- Tirion nods solemnly. Bolvar bows his head to accept the unimaginably powerful artifact as Tirion slides it onto him. For a moment the chamber shakes violently in response and Tirion glances about, then back to Bolvar. Bolvar raises his head and when he opens his eyes there is a flash of light: they are glowing golden yellow through the eye slits of the helm. The ice blue gem has instantly changed color to a firey orange. The new Lich King has been crowned.
- Bolvar Fordragon: Tell them only that the Lich King is dead...
- As he speaks, an icy mist forms at Bolvar's feet and rises to envelop him while Tirion cautiously backs away down the steps. The crackle of swift-forming ice can be heard as Bolvar's voice changes, acquiring the Lich King's characteristic echo.
- Bolvar Fordragon/Lich King: and that Bolvar Fordragon died with him...
- The Frozen Throne freezes over, encasing Bolvar in ice. From the bottom of the stairs, Tirion looks upward at him.
- Bolvar Fordragon/Lich King: NOW GO. LEAVE THIS PLACE - AND NEVER RETURN.
Bolvar Fordragon on the Frozen Throne.
- Chris Metzen stated that when they wrote and finished the Wrathgate Cinematic they didn't necessarily know how things would play out. But due to a massive feedback of the community regarding the fate of Bolvar they decided to make him the new Lich King.
- Bolvar shares a last name with Mara Fordragon.
- The idea for Bolvar's appearance could be likened to pirate Raithen of the Diablo novel " The Black Road". Burned to death by the Demon Kabraxxis's fire, then resurrected by traces of a spell the demon used to raise skeletons, he walked the line between dead and alive. This is similar to Bolvar: Doomed to die by the Forsaken attack, but held in a living state by the Red Dragons' fire.
- Bolvar appears on the loading screen for Northrend with the introduction of the Cataclysm expansion.
- After killing Archbishop Benedictus in the Hour of Twilight, you get the option of talking to Bishop Farthing within the Cathedral of Light. He dismisses claims of Benedictus' betrayal as mere rumours, and makes a mention that there has been similar rumors of Bolvar's current identity circulating in Stormwind. Aethas Sunreaver told Archmage Modera that "nothing happens in Icecrown unknown to "Him". That means that they both know there is a new Lich King but if they know it's Bolvar is unknown.
- is named after him, a reward from the Alliance version of .
- Bolvar is voiced by Carlos Larkin.
- He is the Vision of the Forlorn.
- Even though he asked Tirion not to tell anyone about his fate, some other characters know about him, including Darion Mograine, Varian Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore. Bishop Farthing also said that he had heard some nasty rumors.
- When Bolvar was stationed in Stormwind City, he used a combination of warrior and paladin abilities: , , , , and Highlord's Justice (an AoE version of ).
- Bolvar appear as a legendary card for the Paladin class in the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. His flavor text reads: "Spoiler alert: Bolvar gets melted and then sits on an ice throne and everyone forgets about him."
- Since he is a paladin and Tirion called him brother, he may have been part of the Knights of the Silver Hand.
- Judging by their surname, he may be related to Mara Fordragon.
- The sentence "Bolvar was reanimated by the flames of the Red Dragonflight", alone, would imply that Bolvar died and was brought back to life, implying he's undead. However in the Ultimate Visual Guide it is stated that, in fact, Bolvar was "kept at the edge of life", meaning he did not die. This is supported by another sentence a bit further : "Thought to have been killed by the plague at the battle of the Wrathgate, Bolvar was saved but charred beyond recognition."
Bolvar in Stormwind Keep.
Bolvar in the RPG (Alliance Player's Guide).
Bolvar in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft.
Bolvar on the Northrend loading screen (Cataclysm).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Relocated to Fordragon Hold; replaced by Varian Wrynn as faction leader.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Updated for level 70.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Racial "Leaders" have been strengthened, and are now worth slightly less honor.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07):
- Highlord Bolvar Fordragon should no longer despawn when "The Great Masquerade" is activated.
- Highlord Bolvar Fordragon is once again the Stormwind faction leader.
- Patch 1.4.1 (2005-05-05):
- Archbishop Benedictus staged a temporary coup, and has taken the title of NPC leader of Stormwind City from Highlord Bolvar! Horde seeking to take out the leader of Stormwind should focus their efforts on Archbishop Benedictus for the duration. These changes will remain until the next content patch, when Highlord Bolvar reclaims his rightful throne:
- Highlord Bolvar should be respawning between 5 and 8 minutes.
- Bolvar will give no contribution points.
- ^ WoW TCG Card from BlizzCon 2010
- ^ TCG Servants of the Betrayer/136
- ^ Light's Hammer#Quotes
- ^ a b c d Ultimate Visual Guide, 55, 73
- ^ http://fortune.worldofwarcraft.com/ World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Your Fortune Awaits
- ^ World of Warcraft manual, pg 170
- ^ Hecht, Eliah 2008-10-15. Shadow Council gnome rogues learn Draconic. WoW.com. Retrieved on 2010-01-12.
- ^ Edge of Night
- ^ Chris Metzen on the BlizzCon 2011: Lore Q&A Liveblog
- ^ Alliance Player's Guide, 163
- ^ World of Warcraft Trading Card Game: Through the Dark Portal. Blizzard Entertainment. 136.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Issue 3, page 32
- ^ Bishop Farthing Gossip "Rumors, child. Rumors have a way of attaching themselves to people of power. In fact, I recently heard a particularly nasty one about the late lord Bolvar."
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
Ruler of Stormwind
(as Regent Lord to Anduin Wrynn)
Lich King of the Scourge (alone)