Brotherhood of the Horse
The Brotherhood of the Horse (aka Knights of Azeroth or Knights of Stormwind) was the official name of the kingdom of Stormwind's knights before the First War. Most of the knights were killed fighting in the last battles of the war, but took many orcs with them. They were the most feared warriors in the Azerothian army. Many of the knights who fell to the orcs were transformed into death knights by Gul'dan.
The most notable, and only known, member of the Brotherhood was Anduin Lothar, who became a knight and rose to the position of Armsman. After the First War, in recognition of his services to his people, Sir Lothar was given the title of Regent Lord of Azeroth.
Garona describes how the first orcish forces to come through the Dark Portal easily slaughtered the human peasants they encountered. They met their first real opposition in the knights of Azeroth, who are described as "... fiends [who] rode atop beasts of muscle and sinew that crashed through our ranks..." Garona goes on to describe how these knights rallied the remaining soldiers to temporarily push the orcs back to the Black Morass, where the orcs escaped by hiding in the Swamp of Sorrows prior to the events of the game.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans Manual (Humans), 22.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Manual, 31, 40.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Manual, 68.
- ^ New York Times article
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Manual, 31.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans Manual (Orcs), 20.