- For the World of Warcraft expansion, see World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade.
|The Burning Crusade|
|Location||Great Dark Beyond and Twisting Nether|
Burning Legion has conquered many planets, ongoing
- "Images of innumerable dead worlds flickered through his mind. He saw gigantic ruins, toppled buildings that had once reached the sky, lakes of glass where proud cities had once stood, endless plains of rubble. He saw the lights of life in the universe winking slowly out until only a few remained."
- —The Demon hunter , witnessing the destruction left in the wake of the Burning Crusade
The Burning Crusade is a vast war of destruction with the goal of razing every world that had been ordered and shaped by the ancient titans. In the past, the Legion particularly targeted worlds that had been visited by the titans. Ultimately, though, no world is safe: the Legion works to devour or destroy all life and magic with the purpose of remaking the universe so 'true order' can be achieved.
In the RPG
It is a great war that rages beyond the ken of normal mortals. The universe houses innumerable worlds, and the Burning Legion currently invades a handful of them. Most mortals are blind to this secret conflict, but the wisest and strongest know of it - and some are heroes and leaders in this war. Champions from Azeroth and many other worlds battle across the cosmos, attempting to drive back the Burning Legion and keep the embattled planets safe from demonic corruption. Theirs is a desperate, epic war, and they welcome any who would join them. Beings of all sorts join forces - humans and draenei fight alongside orcs, high elves alongside night elves. Old rivalries are thrown aside in the face of the ominous legion. All who fight this secret war know that, despite the posturing and ambition of individual demon lords, was always ' second. He is the Legion's true leader. Out in the Great Dark Beyond, Kil'jaeden waits as demons and mortals die, biding his time for his minions to grow strong once again. With the end of the Third War, the Burning Legion's existence is no longer a secret, but now a well known fact by the populace of Azeroth.
- Azeroth, often attacked, but never taken by the Legion.
- Draenor/Outland, conquered by the Legion, lost to Illidan and later to the Alliance and Horde.
- alternate Draenor (world defended)
- Fanlin'Deskor, a world destroyed by the Legion.
- Xoroth, enslaved by the Legion.
- Xerrath, destroyed as a sign of power by the Legion.
- Xandros, destroyed by the annihilan .
- Countless other worlds destroyed or occupied by the Legion.
- When Sargeras approached the eredar on Argus, he presented himself as a benevolent entity and the goal of his Burning Crusade was to unify all the races of the universe, asking the eredar to spread his universal union with every world they touched.