The Character Boost is a feature that allows any character to be upgraded to level 90. The Character Boost can be purchased through the in-game Shop, currently priced at $60/£40.
A single Character Boost is also granted when pre-purchasing (and presumably is included even after it is released) the Warlords of Draenor expansion. Digital pre-purchases will grant the player one Character Boost on purchase, while pre-purchases of physical copies of the expansion will receive one Character Boost when they receive their copies at the launch of the expansion.
Included in the boost
- A single character to level 90 (The Mists of Pandaria level cap)
- A full set of specialization-appropriate ilevel 483 uncommon-quality gear (specialization is selected during the Boost)
- All class and specialization abilities appropriate to that level (except mage portal spells) - these will be progressively unlocked through a short series of quests (see below)
- Artisan flying skill, and all regional flying skills
- A faction-specific flying mount - a Wind Rider for Horde or Gryphon for Alliance
- Characters who are already at or above level 60 will also have their existing primary professions and First Aid skill boosted to 600 skill level
- Four 22-slot Embersilk Bags
- A stack of 20
- A set to the appropriate faction city in Vale of Eternal Blossoms - Shrine of Seven Stars for Alliance and Shrine of Two Moons for Horde
- Boosted characters will be immediately teleported to the Blasted Lands
A level 90 icon will appear on your character selection screen, next to the server name, once you have the ability to boost a character. Clicking on this will open the two step process to boosting your character to level 90.
- Choose a character from your list
- Create a new character
- Choose your specialization
(Neutral pandaren only)
- Choose your faction
- Click next, confirm your choices, and click Level up!
Clicking "Level Up!" Gives you one final "Are you sure?" message in the center of the screen before the boost is used.
If the selected character is level 60 or higher, it will have its two Primary Professions and First Aid increased to 600 skill. If the character does not have any professions learned, the game will provide defaults based on the type of armor it wears.
- Plate: Blacksmithing and Mining
- Mail/Leather: Leatherworking and Skinning
- Cloth: Tailoring and Enchanting
Freshly boosted characters do not immediately have access to all abilities appropriate to their level. Rather, they start out with a basic set of spells and abilities for their class, and must unlock the rest of their spells and abilities a few at a time by advancing through a short introductory experience.
After Patch 6.0.2, but before the release of Warlords of Draenor, boosted characters had to unlock their abilities through the Iron Horde Incursion world event in the Blasted Lands. With the release of Warlords, boosted characters instead acquire their abilities through the Warlords of Draenor intro experience.
Veteran players that want to skip this progression of spells and abilities may either swap specializations or queue for an instance. This will unlock the remaining spells and abilities.
- Sometimes the server can be busy and you will get a notification that it may be a few minutes. This was an issue when the boosts were first introduced, and may be again when Warlords of Draenor drops in November 2014.
- Boosts do not have to be used immediately. Once obtained, a Boost can be held indefinitely until the player is ready to use it.
- The level 90 character boost will work differently depending on whether you already own a high level character. If it's your first character and you boost it to level 90 directly, the game will offer you 3 or 4 skills in the first place to let you familiarize with the game, and will give you more abilities progressively.
- On a level 60+ character you must buy the professions before boosting your character to have them also boosted to level cap. You will not have the option to pick the professions during the process, and after the boost it is too late. So, if you want a specific, different profession, go to the trainer before boosting.
- Simply, if you have blacksmithing, but want enchanting with the boost you need to drop blacksmithing and take on enchanting before using the boost on the character.
- Profession trainer recipes are not automatically learnt by boosted characters. These can be purchased from trainers for gold as desired.
- Note that the gear granted is specialization-specific. Gear for other specializations will not be supplied, and players should therefore take care to select their preferred specialization. However, obtaining level-appropriate gear for any spec is particularly easy on the Timeless Isle.
- Boosted characters are immediately equipped with their new gear. The items that were on the character are mailed back to them. This mail expires after 180 days.
- Boosted characters will automatically be flagged for PvP combat, even on PvE servers. You may want to switch this off right away and wait until it expires before venturing away from your faction's shrine.
- Note that Master flying (The fastest flying speed) is not provided. This can be purchased from riding trainers for 5000, subject to faction discounts.
- Boosted characters will also receive any appropriate level-specific mail, namely A Well-Deserved Accomplishment (from Lorewalker Cho) for reaching level 90, and a (from Rhonin) if the character was boosted past level 80.
- When the boosts were first introduced on February 18, 2014, new 90s spawned at their faction's landing on the Timeless Isle. This quickly became a problem, as new 90s are automatically flagged for PvP, and on PvE servers players with the would camp the spawn locations for easy kills. The spawning point was later moved to the faction shrines in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
- Main article: Character Boost gear list
When a character is boosted to level 90, all gear slots are emptied and filled with new specialization-appropriate ilevel 483 uncommon-quality gear. The previous gear is mailed to the character. These mailed items may include Timeless items that were earlier mailed to the character by other characters on the same account. The boosted character can immediately turn these into epic quality gear, increasing that character's item level even more.
Q: How does boosting a character work?
When you pre-purchase the expansion* or purchase a standalone character boost from within the game, a Character Boost token will appear on the character-select screen in World of Warcraft. Once you purchase it through either method, you can click the token to apply your boost at any time—no need to use it right away if you’re not ready. Keep in mind that character boosts are irreversible, so it’s a good idea to make sure you’re boosting the character you really want to.
If you boost a level-60 or higher character, you’ll also get an extra bonus: both of your Primary Professions will be bumped up to 600, so you’ll be an instant pro at your chosen callings. If you’re boosting an existing character and want to change professions, just make sure you train the professions you want before you apply the boost. Also, if you’re not quite level 60 yet (but thiiiiiiis close), you might want to consider holding on to your boost token until you earn those last couple of levels—your boost will still be waiting for you when you’re ready.
Check out the Character Boost web page, watch our video guide, or read the support article for lots more information.
Q: What do I get with my character boost?
When you boost a character to level 90, whether it’s a newly created level-1 character or an existing character with some experience under their belt, you’ll receive the following:
- 150 gold
- 4 Embersilk (22-slot) bags
- A stack of 20 food items
- Full set of spec-appropriate Item Level 483 (blue-quality) gear [this appears to incorrect - gear is green, not blue]
- If a boosted character was already level 60 or above, their existing Primary Professions and First Aid are bumped up to level 600, as mentioned above
- A faction-specific flying mount—a traditional Wind Rider for Horde or Gryphon for Alliance
- Artisan flying—that’s one rank below max flight speed
- Northrend, Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms, and Pandaria regional flying skills trained
Q: Can I apply my character boost to any character on any World of Warcraft account?
That depends! If you pre-purchase the expansion, the Character Boost token will only appear when you’re logged in to the WoW account you upgraded to Warlords of Draenor. If you purchase a standalone character boost, you’ll be able to use it on any eligible World of Warcraft account on your Battle.net account.
Note that if you’re upgrading to Warlords of Draenor directly from the World of Warcraft Starter Edition, it may take up to 72 hours for you to receive your character boost.
Q: Can I get a character boost immediately if I decide to pre-order a physical standard or Collector’s Edition from a retailer?
Players who purchase the normal physical standard edition or physical Collector’s Edition from a retail store will get their character boost when they receive their copies at the launch of the expansion.
Players who purchase the retail version of World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - Pre-Purchase Version with the red banner "Pre-Purchase to get Instant Level 90 Character Boost" will get the character boost as soon as they enter the code included in the box into the Account Page. The upgrade can also be bought digitally from the Battle.net Shop using a range of payment methods (including Battle.net Balance gift cards).
*Players upgrading to Warlords of Draenor from World of Warcraft Starter Edition must wait until trial restrictions are removed before character boost becomes available (may take up to 72 hours).
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- Boosted characters are now teleported to the Blasted Lands, instead of to faction shrines in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
- Boosted characters now start with a basic set of spells and abilities for their class, and must unlock the rest by advancing through the Iron Horde Incursion world event in the Blasted Lands.
- Hotfix (2014-03-25): "Resolved an issue where some boosted characters were unable to see the portal to Pandaria in capital cities."
- Hotfix (2014-03-18): "
- Boosted characters now start in the Shrine of Two Moons for the Horde and Shrine of the Seven Stars for the Alliance.
- Resolved a number of questing and phasing issues for boosted characters."
- Patch 5.4.7 (2014-02-18): Added.
- ^ http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/344568-level-90-character-boost-ripoff/
- ^ Nethaera 2014-11-13. Newly Boosted Characters in Tanaan Jungle.
- ^ http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3796-Warlords-of-Draenor-Dev-Interviews-Proving-Grounds-Requirement-in-WoD-Blue-Tweets
- ^ http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/03/10/character-boosts-available-for-60-in-game/
- ^ Official Character Boost Tutorial