|Level||43 - 92 Elite|
|Mana||4,296 - 30,936|
|Affiliation(s)||Cult of the Damned|
|Location||Headmaster's Study, Scholomance|
|Status||Killable (WoW), Deceased (Lore)|
One of the few classic bosses of the Scholomance to survive until after World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, Gandling took up sole rulership of the Scholomance and the remaining scourge of the Western Plaguelands. After losing control of Andorhal as well as losing most of his servants during the Western Plaguelands storyline, he is confronted and killed by adventurers allied with and Alexei Barov.
Battle for Andorhal
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Gandling appears briefly in the Battle for Andorhal, where he is defeated by the combined might of and before he flees.
Course: Advanced Studies
The recent defeat in Andorhal has put Darkmaster Gandling in the foulest of moods. More than ever, all students of Scholomance are advised to impress him at every turn. Pupils who dissatisfy the headmaster will be removed from class to perform lab work... or become lab work.
Spells and Abilities
The Darkmaster attacks players with Incinerate and Immolate and periodically assigns one a Harsh Lesson, sending the player to a side room to fight Expired Test Students. When a tank or healer is sent, Gandling channels Rise!
- Incinerate — Gandling deals 323 to 376 Fire damage to his target.
- Immolate — Gandling burns an enemy for 150 Fire damage, then inflicts 94 to 105 additional Fire damage every 3 sec. for 21 sec.
- Rise! — Gandling summons a legion of Failed Students to fight for him. The students swarm the area, fighting anything they can. While channelling this spell, the Darkmaster takes 50% less damage.
- Failed Student — The Darkmaster raises the bodies of failed students to attack players.
- Harsh Lesson — Darkmaster Gandling teleports a random player to one of his study rooms for a harsh lesson!
- — The Darkmaster keeps these former test subjects in the nearby rooms. They attack anyone who enters their rooms.
- — The Darkmaster keeps these subjects alive in the nearby rooms for testing. Each is afflicted by Explosive Pain.
Gandling does not need to be tanked normally, as he will only use Incinerate and Immolate from his spot in the middle of the room. He will occasionally teleport a random player in to one of the side rooms. Said player must fight his or her way out back to the study on their own.
There are several possible ways to deal with the Expired Test Subjects when trapped:
- Damage dealers and tanks can just kill their way out.
- Healers should dispel the friendly Fresh Test Subjects of their Explosive Pain to kill the Expired Test Subjects. If the healer is a Mistweaver monk, they can instead AoE everyone down with .
- , , and can teleport a stuck player back to the main room, with the necessary preparations.
If a tank or a healer gets teleported, a large number of weakly-hitting skeletons will swarm the room. Focus on them instead of Gandling, as he takes much less damage while Rise is being channeled.
- Talking Skull says: Finally.
- Darkmaster Gandling yells: If you haven't come to study, I'll use you to teach a lesson.
- Talking Skull yells: PREPARE TO DIE, VILLAIN!
- School is in session!
- Killing a player
- Darkmaster Gandling yells: Class...dismissed.
- Spirit of Lord Alexei Barov says: It's over. The curse is lifted. Thank you, <name>. Thank you!
In the RPG
Darkmaster Gandling is a mummified wretch. He teaches students how to raise the dead in the ’s name. Formerly a Dalaran wizard, he betrayed his masters for dark power and now revels in undeath. His graduates go on to Stratholme, the Scourge's capital in the Eastern Plaguelands.
- Darkmaster Gandling is voiced by Jim Pirri.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned from the original fight.