Death's Head tribe
|Theater of operations|
The Death's Head tribe (also known simply as Death's Head) is a group of undead quilboars found in Razorfen Downs in Kalimdor. They are controlled by the Scourge, lead by the lich , and were the first major Scourge-outpost on Kalimdor. They are allied with the Razorfen tribe.
|Death Speaker||Killable||Razorfen Downs|
|Leader, crone||Killable||Razorfen Kraul|
|Captain, Death Speaker||Killable||Razorfen Kraul|
In the RPG
From Lands of Mystery:
- Following 's defeat, quilboar occupied the the sites of his fallen body, Razorfen Kraul and Razorfen Downs. Here the most powerful quilboar tribe in the land, the Razorfens, practice shamanistic magic and stages on rival tribes and Horde villages. Charlga Razorflank leads the Razorfens. Rumors hint that Charlga may be in negotiations with agents of the Scourge. In the Downs, the Death's Head tribe has already been turned by the undead. A powerful lich named Anmennar the Coldbringer commands the undead Razorfen Downs, and he has many powerful creatures under his control, including a massive abomination.
Origin of the Name
The name Death's Head was likely chosen after Agamaggan’s death and his children’s pledge to his legacy. The traditional capital city, Razorfen Downs, is housed through an entrance resembling a giant boar head. It is likely that when the Downs were under quilboar control, the cult was established here and named as tribute to the fallen boar god.
There appears to be some discrepancy on how exactly the Death's Head was formed.
Several quests (some removed in Cataclysm) suggests that the quilboar willingly allied themselves with the Scourge. The quest clearly describes how peacefully and politely this allegiance came to be, with the Scourge's ambassador asking (by letter) Charlga Razorflank for aid:
- "My Lady,
- You know very well what it is we are offering. The opportunity for you to take the Barrens and the lands beyond is a great one. We simply want your aid in return. By aid we mean nothing more than your giving us the freedom to take action in the area.
- Please, allow us to discuss this further. We have great power and are willing to share with those wise enough to join us. I will remain outside Razorfen Downs for the time being.
The book Compendium of Fallen Heroes, which was implemented in the game much later, gives however a completely different explanation:
- ". One of the most powerful abominations the Scourge has ever created. Assembled by lich Amnennar the Coldbringer to assist in setting up a base at Razorfen Downs. Tartek single-handedly felled more than 1,200 quilboar before being overcome. His sacrifice provided the corpses for Amnennar to quickly raise an undead quillboar army of his own, ultimately assembling the first major Scourge outpost on Kalimdor."
Although the versions differ heavily it is not impossible that both are the case. A possible explanation may be that Amnennar carried out the massacre in Razorfen Downs without Charlga even knowing. The Scourge, already heavily established once Amnennar finished his army, might then have planned to expand their territory through negotiating with the still living quilboars. This scenario seems to match:
- The description given in Lands of Mystery.
- The quests (if the quilboars' aligning and pact with the Scourge simply refers to them being a part of it, willingly or not).
- How Ambassador Malcin could remain outside Razorfen Downs while waiting for Charlga's answer.
- Charlga's in-game quote "Our new allies will avenge us!".
- 's (a skeleton in Razorfen Downs) in-game quote "We will enslave the quilboar!".
- How Charlga is still an Humanoid and not an Undead.
- How , a living quilboar, can be stationed in Razorfen Downs if the living quilboars (unaware of the massacre) believe the undead ones to be their friends.
- The quest , if Charlga believes the undead quilboars willingly converted to undeath: "Charlga Razorflank has steered my children into darkness, driven into insanity by the Scourge." Still, if this is case, it is an odd solution to kill Charlga in order to stop the Scourge.