- This article is about the large trolls also known as berserkers. For the enraged melee warriors, see Berserker. For missiles-throwing trolls, see Troll berserker. For mutated orcs sometimes called berserkers, see Dire orc.
A small number of trolls are strikingly larger and more heavily muscled than the rest of their brethren, though there is no racial distinction between them and the rest of the troll race. A variety of reasons might be behind this unusual size and musculature. For example, dire trolls might have been altered alchemically or magically. They might also simply have been born larger than average. Regardless of the day-to-day prejudices that these trolls must contend with from other races, dire trolls are not regarded as monstrous by other trolls.
Notable dire trolls
- Many dire trolls have eyebrows, a trait not often seen in trolls.
- Prior to patch 5.2.0, dire trolls used the same skeleton and animations as wights. After patch 5.2, they instead use a more upright and fluid animation skeleton, which is also used by Draenic dire orcs.
- Dire trolls may be an adaptation of the the original idea of the troll berserker, which were originally trolls altered by goblin alchemists to become nearly unstoppable in battle.
- Female dire trolls do exist, however, there is no model to represent them. Same as the case for ogre females. Although, the population of female dire trolls is smaller than that of male.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Dire trolls now use a more upright skeleton with a new set of animations.