- "The Light infuses me with righteous power! My cause is just!"
Divine Storm is meant to be used when fighting multiple targets at once, such as trash packs.
Originally, Divine Storm was a 51 point talent in the retribution tree, introduced in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack. The original skill dealt Holy damage, but shortly after patch 3.0.2 went live, the PvP community called for Retribution Paladin's burst to be toned down; as a result, this spell was changed to deal Physical damage, along with other changes, such as the removal of all critical strike damage increasing talents from the talent tree.
Prior to Patch 4.0.1, Divine Storm was an important part of the retribution rotation against any targets, especially with the two-piece Lightsworn Battlegear bonus, which had a chance to reset its cooldown. Its importance was diminished for single-target fights with the introduction of , but it was still effective in clearing packs of mobs. In Patch 4.0.3a it was redesigned to no longer use Holy Power but to use mana again.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "Divine Storm damage increased by 20%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Damage has been increased by 109.3%.
- Patch 6.2.3 (2015-11-17): Damage has been increased by 8%.
- Hotfix (2014-10-17): "Damage has been increased by 20%."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now cost 3 Holy Power instead of mana. Cooldown removed. Weapon damage increased from 100% to 135%. No longer heals or generates Holy Power.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Now generates 1 point of Holy Power if it hits (i.e. successfully lands on) 4 or more targets.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Redesigned. It no longer consumes Holy Power and instead costs 5% of base mana. It shares a cooldown with Crusader Strike and hits all nearby enemies for 60% weapon damage.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Moved from tier 11 to tier 3. Now a finishing move using Holy Power.