- "The Light infuses me with righteous power! My cause is just!"
The ability is somewhat similar to a warrior's ability. This ability manifests as gold colored hammers and streams of light swirling around the paladin. This ability can proc seal effects. Although this does not affect the PPM of seals, when used on multiple enemies it can proc the effects of several times, resulting in a large mana or health gain. It can also proc damage dealing seals such as .
Divine Storm is meant to be used when fighting multiple targets at once, such as trash packs. It is especially effective for that purpose when coupled with the cleave effect of Seal of Righteousness.
Originally, Divine Storm was a 51 point talent in the retribution tree, introduced in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack. The original skill dealt holy damage, but shortly after patch 3.0.2 went live, the PvP community called for Retribution Paladin's burst to be toned down, as a result, this spell was changed to deal physical damage, along with other changes, such as the removal of all critical strike damage increasing talents from the talent tree.
Prior to Patch 4.0.1, Divine Storm was an important part of the retribution rotation against any targets, especially with the two-piece Lightsworn Battlegear bonus, which had a chance to reset its cooldown. Its importance was diminished for single-target fights with the introduction of , but it was still effective in clearing packs of mobs. In Patch 4.0.3a it was redesigned to no longer use Holy Power but to use mana again.
- Hotfix (2014-10-17): Damage increased by 20%.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now cost 3 Holy Power instead of mana. Cooldown removed. Weapon damage increased from 100% to 135%. No longer heals or generates Holy Power.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Now generates 1 point of Holy Power if it hits (i.e. successfully lands on) 4 or more targets.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Redesigned. It no longer consumes Holy Power and instead costs 5% of base mana. It shares a cooldown with Crusader Strike and hits all nearby enemies for 60% weapon damage.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Moved from tier 11 to tier 3. Now a finishing move using Holy Power.