- "I cannot help but wonder if things would have turned out different if the titans had elevated even one more dragonflight."
Dragonflights (aka flights) are subraces of dragons described in the official Story of World of Warcraft. In early history, there were many dragonflights (there were dragons in every color of the rainbow), yet there were five flights that held dominion over their brethren. It was these five flights that the titans chose to shepherd the budding world.
The leaders of each group were called the Dragon Aspects, the Great Aspects, or simply the Aspects.
Dragons group in five dragonflights that claim ancestry to the greatest of their kind. Each color is proud of its heritage and lineage, and remembers the name of all those who have gone before. These flights are further separated into small family groups known as broods. Each occupies and holds territory within Azeroth‘s less populated areas. Some are commonly seen; others have nearly been driven to extinction by wars among their own kind.The five great dragonflights are identified by their coloration: black, blue, bronze, green, and red.
Each of these five flights keeps secrets of its own and adheres to separate ideologies from the rest. They are led by powerful entities known as Aspects, one from each color, who rule over their flights as powerful gods looking down on their less fortunate descendants. For the most part, all dragons are of the same species with similar bone structure, anatomy, and physical capacity. Each flight, however, is distinct with different goals, interests, and ideals. The cautious traveler remembers the ancient words spoken by one of Azeroth‘s most powerful mages: Let sleeping dragons lie.
Lesser dragonflights beyond the main five also exist, which are artificial or otherwise unnatural.
There were once many more dragonflights, but eventually five rose to prominence as the others declined:
- Infinite — Corrupted bronze dragons seeking to disrupt the timeways.
- Chromatic — A dragonflight created by Nefarian using the blood of the various other flights.
- Plagued — Bred within Scholomance by the Cult of the Damned as another method of spreading the Plague of Undeath.
- Netherwing — Spawned from black dragon eggs infused with raw nether-energies when Draenor was torn apart.
- Twilight — A new breed of dragons that feed vampirically on magical energies, created by Sintharia by using the power of the nether dragons.
- Albino — According to Breanni, even the Draconic Native Association tests proved inconclusive in determining if the albino drake is related to a known dragonflight, which may make them a unique dragonflight as well.
Other creatures and dragon types that have members within the primary and lesser dragonflights.