- This article is about the character biography of Dranosh Saurfang. For information on how to defeat him in Icecrown Citadel, see Deathbringer Saurfang.
Deathbringer, Kor'kron Warlord
Mag'har orc (Humanoid)
Death Knight of the Scourge; formerly Commander of the Kor'kron Vanguard
Killable as The Deathbringer (in-game); Deceased (Lore)
- "The son is the father... May the spirits have mercy on those that stand in his way."
Dranosh Saurfang, often called Saurfang the Younger, was the son of Varok Saurfang and nephew of Broxigar the Red. His mother's identity is not known. Dranosh was very much like his father and uncle, a fierce warrior to the end. He was a strong believer in the ideals of honor espoused by his father.
After he fell to Frostmourne at the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate, he was raised in undeath by the and brought to Icecrown Citadel, where he bars the path of any champions seeking to lay siege to his new master's fortress.
Dranosh means "Heart of Draenor" in orcish. Before his mother died, his father promised her that their son would remain safe and untainted. Before Varok crossed the Dark Portal, he had the elders of Garadar hide Dranosh away so the orcish warlocks would not find him.
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Following a murkblood raid, a group of adolescent orcs from Garadar formed a war party and set out to seek vengeance. They reached Sunspring Post, but most of them were killed by the broken. Dranosh was one of the few survivors of that party - he sustained severe injuries and narrowly escaped.
After he recovers, Dranosh decides not to return to Garadar, as he believes that his destiny lies elsewhere. Upon hearing this, Farseer Corhuk says, "The son is the father... May the spirits have mercy on those that stand in his way".
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
His father, High Overlord Varok Saurfang, has placed him in command of the Kor'kron Vanguard, a fortress at the base of Angrathar the Wrathgate. He was also given his father's armor and axe. He also seemed to be on relatively good terms with Bolvar Fordragon, keeping peace with the Alliance base nearby.
Fall of the Lich King
- Main article: Deathbringer Saurfang
One of the visions in the Yogg-Saron encounter shows the Lich King alongside an Immolated Champion and a Turned Champion, which were believed to be visions of Bolvar Fordragon and Dranosh Saurfang respectively. This would ultimately be confirmed as in Icecrown Citadel is in fact Dranosh Saurfang raised from the dead in the service of the Scourge. He is described as the Lich King's most powerful death knight.
After being defeated by adventurers, Dranosh's grieving father arrives and claims his body. He promises to give him a proper burial in Nagrand, next to the pyres of his mother and his ancestors.
Shortly before the Shattering, Thrall prepared to leave for Nagrand in order to learn more about the elemental unrest. As such, he was unable to retain his position of Warchief, and began to consider a temporary successor. Among the possible candidates were Cairne Bloodhoof and Varok, though Thrall expresses the belief that the younger Dranosh would have been the ideal Warchief, having inherited his father's might and wisdom.
When King Varian Wrynn allowed his father to take Dranosh's body, Varian commented that many Alliance soldiers had been impressed by Dranosh's heroism.
- They died. All of them...
- As the Murkbloods cut through us, something took hold of me that I cannot understand. Tell me, have you ever felt a rage so great that whole of your being burns? A heat that wilts the living? A heat that incinerates the blood in you veins? That is what I felt.
- <Saurfang's eyes glow red for a brief moment.>
- I was the last one left alive. 30 of them surrounded me... Murkbloods... I remember nothing beyond that vision. I blacked out and awoke some time later.
- "I believe that my destiny lies elsewhere - that I will serve a greater purpose someday."
- "My father has gifted me with his battle armor and axe. Soon I put it to good use."
- "Rise up, sons of the Horde! Blood and glory await us! Lok'tar ogar! For the Horde!"
- "I couldn't let the Alliance have all the fun today." (To Bolvar Fordragon after arriving at Angrathar the Wrathgate with the Kor'kron Guard)
- "Enough talk! Let it be finished!"
- Join me, father. Join me and we will crush this world in the name of the Scourge - for the glory of the Lich King!
- Dranosh draws a number of parallels with Garrosh Hellscream. Both are considered Orcish prodigies, and both are the sons of renowned Orcish heroes - Varok Saurfang and Grom Hellscream, respectively. While Dranosh inherited much of his father's might and wisdom, along with his warrior spirit and strong sense of honor, Garrosh inherited similar traits that Grom had possessed, including his own sense of honor. Garrosh seems to have gleamed some of Grom's less flattering traits, however, such as his recklessness, something picked up on by a number of his critics.
- Dranosh Saurfang is voiced by Chris Metzen.
- ^ TCG Wrath Gate
- ^ http://blue.mmo-champion.com/13/21035174537-icecrown-citadel-testing--november-1014.html
- ^ [http://imgur.com/ajbX4jK Flavor text's screenshot.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Collector's Edition. Blizzard Entertainment. WotLK Behind-the-Scenes DVD