Durumu the Forgotten
|Location||Throne of Thunder|
Durumu the Forgotten is the seventh boss encounter in the Throne of Thunder.
- 1 Background
- 2 Spells and abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Loot
- 5 Related Achievements
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Notes & Trivia
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patches and hotfixes
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Lei Shen commanded his sorcerers to mold an aberration that could peer into the hearts of his followers and detect betrayal. From this decree, Durumu was given life. The clever entity stubbornly obeyed its masters until the Thunder King's death, at which time it disappeared into the citadel's labyrinthine corridors. Only recently has Durumu, all but forgotten by the mogu, emerged from hiding.
Years ago, players encountered C’Thun, the eye of an old god beneath the Temple of Ahn’Qiraj. As giant eyes are wont to do, it fired eyebeams as its primary method of attack. Durumu has many more eyes, and therefore fires many more eyebeams.
Spells and abilities
- Hard Stare — Durumu focuses his gaze on his current target and inflicts 150% weapon damage as Physical damage on them. Victims of this attack suffer a Serious Wound and an Arterial Cut.
- Gaze — If Durumu has no valid melee targets he will instead Gaze at all players, inflicting 50% weapon damage as Physical damage.
- Disintegration Beam — Durumu will focus his gaze into a beam of pure destruction directly in front of him. Players who are caught in the beam are killed instantly. While focusing this beam Durumu will slowly turn in either direction and his Roving Eye will create a maze of Eye Sores across the platform.
- Cross-Eye — Durumu summons a Roving Eye that will create a maze of Eye Sores across the platform whenever he channels his Disintegration Beam.
- Eye Sore — Eye Sores inflict 75,000 Arcane damage to victims within their area of effect every second.
- Mind Daggers — Any currently active eyes other than the Cross-Eye will inflict 25500 to 34500 Arcane damage to random players in the raid.
- Cross-Eye — Durumu summons a Roving Eye that will create a maze of Eye Sores across the platform whenever he channels his Disintegration Beam.
- Walls of Ice — Durumu summons three walls of ice to impede players as they attempt to move around the platform. The individual sections of each ice wall have their health linked and will shatter when any section has been sufficiently damaged.
- Light Spectrum — Durumu spawns a Blue Eye, Red Eye, and a Yellow Eye to cast three color beams targeting random players in the raid. Once the initial beam completes, the Blue Eye and Red Eye focus a cone on their inital target for the duration of the Light Spectrum sequence. The Yellow Eye ignores its initial target and instead moves its cone in one randomly chosen direction.
- Infrared Light — If no players are in the Red Eye's cone, the Eye will inflict 200000 Fire damage to all players. Otherwise all players within the Red Eye's cone suffer 760000 to 840000 Fire damage every 2 seconds.
- Bright Light — If no players are in the Yellow Eye's cone, the Eye will inflict 200000 Nature damage to all players. Otherwise all players within the Yellow Eye's cone suffer 760000 to 840000 Nature damage every 2 seconds.
- Blue Rays — If no players are in the Blue Eye's cone, the Eye will inflict 200000 Frost damage to all players. Otherwise all players within the Blue Eye's cone suffer 760000 to 840000 Frost damage every 2 seconds.
- Crimson Fog — Crimson Fogs are only revealed by the Red Eye's Infrared Light.
- Caustic Spike — Crimson Fogs cast Caustic Spike at random players while revealed by the Infrared cone of the Red Eye. Caustic Spike inflicts 80000 Physical damage to the victim.
- Crimson Bloom — If a Crimson Fog leaves the Red Eye's Infrared cone it will cast Crimson Bloom. Crimson Bloom inflicts 277500 to 322500 Fire damage to all players.
- Amber Fog — Amber Fogs are only revealed by the light of Yellow Eye's cone of Bright Light.
- Amber Retaliation — Amber Fogs will cast Amber Retaliation once for every 10% health lost. Amber Retaliation inflicts 13875 to 16125 Nature damage to all players within the cone of Bright Light.
- Burst of Amber — If an Amber Fog leaves the area of Yellow Eye's Bright Light it will cast Burst of Amber. Burst of Amber inflicts 277500 to 322500 Nature damage to all players.
- Azure Fog — Azure Fogs are only revealed by Blue Eye's Blue Rays.
- Icy Grasp — Azure Fogs inflict increasing Frost damage to all players in the cone of Blue Rays while revealed by the Blue Eye's cone of Blue Rays.
- Flash Freeze — If an Azure Fog leaves the area of Blue Eye's Blue Rays it will explode for 277500 to 322500 Frost damage to all players. Azure Fogs will also cast this spell whenever they are slain.
- Biting Chill — When players destroy an Azure Fog, it will respawn in a random location on the platform.
- Mind's Eye — Durumu summons a Mind's Eye that will cast Force of Will periodically.
- Force of Will — The Mind's Eye focuses intently towards a random player. Players caught in the Mind's Eye's gaze when this ability finishes are knocked back.
- Hungry Eye — Durumu will summon a Hungry Eye that will cast Life Drain on players.
- Life Drain — The Hungry Eye focuses its gaze on a random player and begins to draw out their life force, stunning them for 15 sec. Life lost from the victim is added to Durumu's health pool. The longer the Hungry Eye is allowed to focus on any given player the more life will be drawn from the victim. Hungry Eyes drain the life of the closest player between it and the initial target.
- Evil Eye — Durumu's Twisted Spawn will periodically cast Dark Parasite on players.
- Dark Parasite — Dark Parasites course through the victim, inflicting Shadow damage every second. The amount of damage increases the longer the parasite is allowed to infect its host. Dispelling the parasites from the victim causes the parasites to morp into a Dark Plague.
- Dark Plague — When Dark Parasites are cleansed they morph into a Dark Plague. Dark Plague's duration is equal to the duration remaining when Dark Parasites was cleansed and will spawn a Roving Eye every 3 seconds.
- Appraising Eye — Durumu will summon an Appraising Eye that casts Lingering Gaze on players.
- Lingering Gaze — The Appraising Eye lobs a shadowy missile at a random player. When the missile lands it will create a zone that will persist until the end of the encounter. Players entering this zone suffer 75,000 Shadow damage every second.
- Obliterate — Durumu will kill all players if he has not been defeated within 10 minutes.
Tanks will need to taunt off each other at regular intervals to prevent Serious Wound from stacking too high, although a skilled paladin tank with Clemency talented can bubble the stacks off and solo-tank the encounter.
Raid members targeted by Lingering Gaze must position the void zones towards the edges of the room, so that they do not interfere with the raid's movement during the Disintegration Beam phase. Players targeted by this ability have around 3 seconds to position themselves.
Force of Will simply requires the raid to move out of the cones before they get knocked back (likely to their deaths).
Dealing with Life Drain requires other raid members to alternate standing between the target and the Hungry Eye so that the target doesn't die, and so that healing received by the boss is minimised.
On heroic difficulty, Durumu will also conveniently place ice walls, especially when the fight is about to switch into a Light Spectrum or Disintegration Beam phase. The ice walls must be broken down as a top priority, or the raid will wipe shortly after a phase change due to the severe movement restrictions imposed.
Another heroic-only mechanic that comes into play later in the encounter is Dark Parasite. This is a DoT on a player that does increasing damage until it is dispelled; when it is dispelled, it turns into a debuff that has the same duration remaining on it that Dark Parasite did when it was dispelled, and causes Wandering Eye adds to spawn every 3 seconds. These adds fixate on a random player and deal minor damage, but mirror all damage received to their target. Healers will need to find a dispelling balance so that Dark Parasite does not deal too much damage, but also that the number of Wandering Eyes spawned after Dark Parasite is dispelled is not too great. The Wandering Eyes themselves should be taken down by incidental cleave/multi-DoT damage and light AoE attacks; if too much burst damage is applied, raid members will die.
Major DPS cooldowns such as timelust should be used on the pull, as there are no distractions for the raid at this time.
Light Spectrum Phase
When the Light Spectrum phase begins, three random raid members will be targeted by a beam of light: one red, one blue, one yellow. Shortly afterwards, they will turn into a red cone, blue cone and yellow cone. The red and blue cones will follow the initially targeted players around, whereas the yellow cone will simply rotate around the room.
At the same time, invisible adds will spawn on the platform, which can only be revealed by shining the cones of light on them. Attentive players will notice that the locations of the adds will be briefly indicated by appropriately-coloured flashes of light at their locations, and can throw down raid markers at these locations.
The red cone will reveal a Crimson Fog, and the goal of the light spectrum phase is to kill three Crimson Fogs (at which point, the fight returns to the Normal Phase). The player with the red cone will need to rotate around Durumu until a Crimson Fog is revealed, at which point the raid will kill it. The red cone then needs to be moved to the next Crimson Fog. Prematurely unrevealing the Crimson Fog will result in high raid damage, so the player with the red cone needs to be extremely careful not to move the red cone away from the Crimson Fog until it has been killed. On heroic difficulty, the raid will wipe if the three Crimson Fogs are not found and defeated after 80 seconds.
The blue cone will reveal an Azure Fog. NEVER reveal the Azure Fog (except on LFR difficulty), as revealing it will wipe the raid. The player targeted by the blue cone should move to a location that will not cause the Azure Fog to be revealed, and should remain there until the phase ends.
The yellow cone will not reveal any adds on LFR or normal difficulty; however, on heroic difficulty, it will reveal an Amber Fog. If the Amber Fog is ever revealed, the raid must immediately switch to it and kill it before the yellow cone moves on its way, as the raid will wipe if the Amber Fog is unrevealed.
As if this wasn't enough, the cones deal damage split out amongst all players within them, so the raid needs to stand within the cones to keep the damage at a minimum. Melee should all stand within the red cone (which will cause them to be within range of the Crimson Fogs when they are revealed), healers should stand within the blue cone (the cone will not move if the phase is correctly executed, allowing them to focus on healing without having to move), tanks should take the yellow cone as it sweeps around the room, and ranged can alternate between the blue and red beams as necessary.
Tanks will still be concerned with Serious Wound during this phase.
Disintegration Beam Phase
While the boss is charging his beam (the first 10 seconds), the raid should actually stand within it. Shortly afterwards, the raid will notice blue squiggles on either the left or the right of the beam, and the raid should then immediately move to this point. Moments afterwards, the beam will activate (and will one-shot anyone it hits), and the room will be covered in Eye Sores that will do high ticking damage to everyone standing within them. However, the place previously indicated by the blue squiggles will not be covered in Eye Sores, so if the raid correctly stacks in this place, they will survive.
At this point, the boss then decides to rotate, and the beam will move towards the raid, but as the beam closes in, a maze through the Eye Sores is revealed. The raid simply needs to Keep Calm and Follow the Maze as it is revealed to avoid Eye Sore damage and to avoid being taken out by the Disintegration Beam. Once the boss does a full rotation, the phase will end.
Just follow the maze... and don't panic!
Only Heroic additions for durumu is than the Light spectrum phase now have a time limit of 80 seconds,if players doesnt finish the phase in such time durumu case Obliterate and instant kills the raid.This is trivial for raids who understand how the phase works,as the only addition is the amber fog,than sometimes can be revealed and ranged dps must quickly kill it,since the yellow maze move on its own and will quickly stop revealing the amber fog and cause a wipe.
Additionally on the color phase durumu posses an additional eye,the evil eye,than sets a 30 secs debuff called dark pasasite on a player than works just like Sinestra's wrack,where it deals damage the longer it stays on its host(it deals initially 100k,which slowly increases). Healers must delay the dispel of the paratise and heal though it then dispel it(dispelling it with less than 15 secs remaining is ideal),because as soon as its dispelled the parasite transforms into a dark plague,than summons eye adds every 3 seconds who stick to a random player and cast devour,dealing 50k damage to them every few secs.But when damaged,they copy their damage taken into their host. Because of this,players should not try to burst the eyes and simply must multi-dot/cleave to do the job.
The Desintregration phase works same as Normal mode,but 10 secs before durumu cast the eye he spawns the most annoning Heroic addition.3 Ice walls than has 7M on 10 man and 25M on 25 man and they have divided(and spread) sections than shares the HP of that wall(this also happens before Light spectrum phases except for the first one).The raid has roughly 15 secs to break the walls before the starts.Classes with strong aoe and dots abilities(demonology warlocks,hunters,elemental shamans) can easly damage all the sections than shares the hp and quickly break the walls to proceed with the desintegration beam phase just like on Normal mode.
- Thousands of years ... without new playthings ... I will enjoy this.
- Behold the power of the void.
- Hard Stare
- Observe your demise.
- The mists hide many secrets ... if you know where to look.
- Lingering Gaze
- I'm keeping an eye on you.
- Disintegration Beam
- Watch your footing ... muhahaha!
- I expected so much more. How ... disappointing.
- Killing a player
- Do you see what I did there?
- Looks like you couldn't keep up ... pity.
- I ... welcome ... the void's ... embrace.
Notes & Trivia
- appears upside down when used on Durumu.
- Durumu is voiced by Paul St. Peter.
10 man heroic
- TheDDGuides → How to "TANK" Durumu
- TheDDGuides → How to "DPS" Durumu
- TheDDGuides → How to "HEAL" Durumu
- TheDDGuides → Heroic Durumu Strategy Guide
- Aliena's Raid Guides - Durumu
- Durumu the Forgotten Live Servers (1080p) - Mage, Boss voice, Vent
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2014-10-17): "Durumu the Forgotten should no longer be targeting the same player repeatedly with Lingering Gaze."
- Hotfix (2013-12-11): "Resolved an issue where a cone of light would not target another player if the targeted Holy Priest dies with Spirit of Redemption"
- Hotfix (2013-06-25): "Hidden Fogs leading up to the Durumu encounter should now be more responsive while engaged in combat with players."
- Hotfix (2013-06-10): "
- Elixir of Detect Lesser Invisibility will no longer allow players to see fog beasts while they are invisible.
- Fixed an issue where Azure Fog may incorrectly trigger Flash Freeze at the end of the Light Spectrum phase."
- Hotfix (2013-05-23): "Crimson Fog and Azure Fog should now properly remain visible after being revealed by cones of light."
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): now correctly points towards Durumu, rather than upward.
- Hotfix (2013-04-16): "Durumu will now have a longer delay before resuming his attacks while the maze of Eye Sores despawn."
- Hotfix (2013-04-10): "
- Disintegration Beam now dissipates sooner before reaching the end of the maze.
- We've created a forum thread discussing additional details behind recent adjustments for the Durumu encounter."
- Hotfix (2013-04-09): "
- Safe spots in the maze of Eye Sores now appear earlier, before the Disintegration Beam starts moving.
- Adjustments were made to visual effects for Eye Sores to make it easier to see the maze."
- Hotfix (2013-04-04): "During the Light Spectrum phase, Yellow Eye's cone now moves more quickly on Raid Finder difficulty."
- Hotfix (2013-04-02): "
- Eye Sore and Mind Daggers now deal less damage on Raid Finder difficulty.
- Amber Fog, Azure Fog, and Crimson Fog now remain visible after being revealed on Raid Finder difficulty."
- Hotfix (2013-03-15): "Azure Fogs are now no longer able to be damaged by area-of-effect spells when they are not revealed."
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Added.