||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 7.0.3.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes and should probably not be under any other categories.
- Earthbind Totem
- Level 26 shaman ability
- 10 yd range
- 5.9% of base mana
- 30 sec cooldown
- Instant cast
- Summons an Earth Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 20 sec that slows the movement speed of enemies within 10 yards.
Earthbind Totem is an Area of Effect (AoE) debuff snare. It slows the enemies in radius of 10 yards for max 20 seconds.This debuff snare is very useful against multiple mobs/players that are about to attack the caster by slowing down their running speed for 8 seconds.
It is learned at level 26.
- The totem of any rank has only 5 hp; it is easily destroyed by mobs and players.
- Throughout the totem's duration, it casts slowing debuffs so that when a player or mob first enters the radius. It may be resistible with nature resistance.
- Will aggro neutral mobs within range; thus, especially when used as an escape tactic, can draw adds in certain areas.
Tips and tactics
- It's often helpful to drop an Earthbind totem just before you run away from a fight, to gain some distance between you and your pursuer, as well as just before your enemy is about to run away. It takes a second to have its first effect, so you should drop it a couple seconds before you need it for best effect.
- When attempting to push past mobs in tight quarters (such as in a tunnel), not damaging the mob at all before you plant Earthbind means that the totem's debuff will place it higher on the monster's aggro table than you. This will buy you a second or two extra as the mob turns and knocks down your totem before pursuing you.
- This totem mostly used as an escape tool among Shaman players; it is used to either escape an upcoming danger or escape from battle gone bad. Unlike [Frost Shock], Earthbind totem is more suitable for escaping danger due to its low mana cost, insta-cast and convenience (since it doesn't need to target or be in front of the target).
- It can also be use to snare runners from escaping you or your teammates, but the caster always runs the risk of attracting aggro from other other mobs or/and wandering mobs.
- Outside of this scope, Earthbind totem has been used for kiting players, but only in conjunction with [Frost Shock]; Earthbind totem alone cannot keep a good amount of distance between the caster and the pursuer mainly due to its long cooldown and small radius of effect (10 yards). The totem can be used, however, as a back-up or alternative snare to [Frost Shock]. The slowing effect is identical for each: 50%.
- It is often used in PVP as well and is a common tactic in Warsong Gulch. It can be used offensively to slow down the flag carrier or defensively to keep the other team away from the flag carrier. It can also be used to seal off choke points temporarily. Enemies must dismount to destroy the totem, and can't remount in combat, or face charging at 50% of normal speed.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Removed.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Duration reduced from 45 to 20 sec. Cooldown increased from 15 to 30 sec.
- Hotfix (2009-04-17): "Earthen Power will now properly be applied on the first pulse of an Earthbind Totem."
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): Earthbind Totem no longer breaks stealth.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): 15 second cooldown added to the ability.