|Title||Emperor of Blackrock,
Lord of the Blackrock Mountains
|Race||Dark dwarf (Humanoid)|
|Affiliation(s)||Dark Iron clan, Ragnaros the Firelord|
|Occupation||Emperor of Blackrock, Master of the Dark Iron clan|
|Location||The Imperial Seat|
|Status||Deceased (Lore); Killable (WoW)|
|Relative(s)||Thaurissan, (ancestors), Moira Bronzebeard (wife), (son)|
- "Now prepare to meet your doom at the hands of Ragnaros' most powerful servant."
Emperor Dagran Thaurissan was the Emperor of the Dark Iron clan, along with his wife, , the estranged daughter of King Magni Bronzebeard. He is notorious for pledging the Dark Iron clan in service to the elemental lord , who his ancestor, , successfully summoned to the mortal plane. His allegiance to the Firelord led to his eventual downfall when he was killed by forces of the Alliance sent by Magni.
Emperor Dagran Thaurissan, a direct descendant of Emperor Thaurissan and , ruled the Dark Iron clan with a combination of charisma, sorcery and iron will. Even as the leader of his clan, he is, like all Dark Iron dwarves, a servant of . The Emperor rules his people not from the city founded by (and named for) his ancestor, but rather from the depths of Blackrock Mountain near the entrance to Ragnaros's domain, the Molten Core. The Emperor's Dark Irons swarm the depths of Blackrock Mountain, and have also been seen in the Searing Gorge to the north and the Burning Steppes to the south.
The Emperor kidnapped King Magni Bronzebeard's daughter, Princess Moira Bronzebeard, and treated her with the respect due her position, and even kindness and affection. Moira soon fell in love with him, marrying him. She is now pregnant with his child, who is half Bronzebeard dwarf and half Dark Iron dwarf, and the heir to both thrones of Shadowforge and Ironforge. Dagran wielded the legendary hammer , but not by legitimate means. The hammer's hereditary owner, was captured and imprisoned by the Dark Irons, his weapon claimed by Dagran.
King sent a team to kill Emperor Thaurissan, and retrieve the previously thought to be ensorcelled Moira back to Ironforge. Yet Moira refused to come home and announced that she was pregnant, and that the death of her husband has left a terrible, fiery rage within her heart.
Emperor Dagran Thaurissan rules alongside Princess Moira of the rival Bronzebeard clan. Debate rages over whether the emperor ensorcelled his bride or she willingly joined him. Whatever the truth, Thaurissan's continued presence bodes ill for the future of his clan. So long as he lives, the Dark Irons will remain pawns of Ragnaros, and a dire threat to kingdoms throughout Azeroth.
In World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Emperor Dagran Thaurissan is the final boss of the Blackrock Depths. During the battle his is assisted by either or .
Emperor Dagran Thaurissan
- Avatar of Flame — Emperor Dagran Thaurissan becomes an Avatar of Flame for 10 sec. The Avatar of Flame is immune to all magic and inflicts Fire damage whenever he strikes a player in melee combat.
- Ironfoe — Emperor Dagran Thaurissan carries the mighty hammer, Ironfoe. Emperor Dagran Thaurissan's melee attacks have a chance to trigger 3 extra attacks and increase his critical strike chance by 10% for 5 sec.
- Hand of Thaurissan — Emperor Dagran Thaurissan inflicts Fire damage to a player and stuns them for 5 sec.
- Heal — Princess Moira Bronzebeard calls upon Holy magic to heal an ally.
- Renew — Princess Moira Bronzebeard renews an ally, healing them every 3 sec. for 15 sec.
- Mind Blast — Princess Moira Bronzebeard blasts a player's mind, inflicting Shadow damage.
Prior to the Cataclysm all of the mobs in the seat of the room were aggroed with the Emperor. At low levels it was recommend that you cleared the room before engaging the boss, though high levels could easily take care of them.
In the Cataclysm
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Even though Dagran is deceased in lore, and all dungeons quests were revised in the Cataclysm, and so was the Blackrock Depths, Emperor Dagran Thaurissan is still alive, and along with his wife are still the final boss of the instance (since the dungeon wasn't updated story-wise as was the Shadowfang Keep). The dungeon itself was tuned for lower level players, and so was the Emperor.
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
- After killing the Shadowforge Senate
- Thank you for clearing out those foolish senators. Now prepare to meet your doom at the hands of Ragnaros' most powerful servant.
- They were just getting in the way anyways.
- Come to aid the Throne!
- Killing a player
- Hail to the king, baby!
- intended to send him an excavation report.
- Thaurissan apparently sometimes holds rallies, which the entire city attends. snuck in to the Grim Guzzler during one of these.
- His killing quote is a reference to the game "Duke Nukem" and/or the movie "Army of Darkness".
- Emperor Thaurissan appears as the third and last boss of the Blackrock Depths wing in the Blackrock Mountain adventure in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Defeating him awards him as a legendary card.
- His flavor text reads "His second greatest regret is summoning an evil Firelord who enslaved his entire people." This, along with Lord Victor Nefarius saying that Thaurissan summoned Ragnaros into Azeroth, is an error on Blizzard's part, since, in fact, it was Dagran's ancestor, Sorcerer-thane Thaurissan who summoned the Firelord.
Given the fact that the Shattering novel reveals Magni's team force killed Dagran, and Ultimate Visual Guide supports it, it is unknown whether the Horde quests are considered canon.
- Patch 4.0.6a (2011-02-11): Nearby mobs are no longer aggroed when Dagran is attacked.
Emperor of the Dark Iron Dwarves
(as Queen-Regent to )