- For for his spirit, see Spirit of Exarch Maladaar.
|Former affiliation(s)||Council of Exarchs|
|Occupation||Leader of the Auchenai|
|Location||Auchenai Crypts, Auchindoun|
Once he turned to necromancy, he created Shirrak the Dead Watcher.
The sole living remnant of the glory that once strode the halls of Auchenai, Maladaar has been driven mad by the loss of everyone and everything he ever loved. His lunatic dedication to the preservation of their memory has driven him to a mastery of the dark arts.
- Ribbon of Souls — Exarch Maladaar inflicts Shadow damage to his current target.
- Soul Scream — Exarch Maladaar lets out a soul scream, disorienting all players within 0 yards for 2 sec.
- Stolen Soul — Exarch Maladaar rips the soul from a player, reducing their damage and healing done by 50%. The soul forms a ghostly being that attacks the player for 2 min.
- Summon Avatar — When Exarch Maladaar reaches 25% remaining health, he summons an Avatar of the Martyred.
- Mortal Strike — The Avatar of the Martyred strikes his current target, inflicting Physical damage and reducing the effectiveness of any healing received by 50%.
- Sunder Armor — The Avatar of the Martyred hacks at an enemy's armor, reducing it with each application of Sunder Armor. Sunder armor stacks up to 5 times and lasts for 20 sec.
DPS during this fight should stay aware and focus on killing shadow doubles when they are spawned. Doubles have roughly the same health and abilities as the characters they copy, and will die quickly under a focused attack. At 25% health, Maladaar creates a double of himself with 30,000 HP. This double has a mortal strike ability, and can be offtanked or kited while you kill Maladaar. You may also kill the double first, but it will probably be harder for your tank to gain aggro on it.
Maladaar will hit players in close range with a shadow attack about 1000-1200 damage. Shadow resistance will help the tank, but is not vital. The key point is to kill the shadow doubles and keep them off the healer.
The AoE fear can result in your healer being killed if the non-healing party members are all melee. When he fears all of the melee party members he'll go straight for the healer and likely kill them. In this kind of group makeup the healer needs to be sure to stay in fear range. In groups with ranged DPS he usually goes for the ranged DPS instead of the healer so it isn't as much of a problem. Though this puts you in range of the shadow attack mentioned above the healing isn't too intensive; a couple heals for everyone every 5 to 10 secs is enough. A shaman can use to minimize the effect of the AoE fear.
In the event you kill Maladaar, but not the double, the Avatar will remain over his corpse. After several minutes (but before the bosses' corpse despawns) the Avatar will die automatically. Alternatively, he can be killed by himself upon your return from the ghost run; he does give rep and has a good drop in heroic mode. Using an ankh or a soulstone to resurrect while the Avatar is still there may aggro him.
Essentially the same fight; tank & spank. OT to pickup the Avatar helps, but quite easy. The Avatar hits as hard as him and can cause a wipe if using only one tank. Fortunately, you can resurrect, rebuff, and engage him while looting the actual boss. His Ribbon of Souls didn't seem to hit any harder than on normal mode.
- On heroic mode, Avatar of the Martyred drops loot.
- You have defiled the resting place of our ancestors. For this offense, there can be but one punishment. It is fitting that you have come to a place of the dead... for you will soon be joining them.
- You will pay with your life!
- There's no turning back now!
- Serve your penitence!
- Summoning Avatar
- Rise, my fallen brothers. Take form and fight!
- Let your mind be clouded.
- Stare into the darkness of your soul.
- Killing a player
- These walls will be your doom.
- Now, you'll stay for eternity!
- This is... where I belong.
- Maladaar is voiced by Marc Graue.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.
Reanimated Exarch (first)
Exarch of the crypts