Fingers of Frost is a passive specialization ability for Frost mages, available at level 24. It gives various spells a chance to grant the Mage a buff that makes their next [Ice Lance] or [Deep Freeze] treat the target as if it were Frozen, as well as increasing Ice Lance damage by 100%.
- By treating the target as if it were frozen, Fingers of Frost also benefits from [Shatter].
- Instant [Frostfire Bolt] procs from [Brain Freeze] can also benefit from Fingers of Frost, increasing their crit chance.
- Being a self-buff and not an actual freeze, this effect works on enemies that are otherwise immune to freezing effects (for instance, raid bosses).
- Although [Scorch] is mentioned in Fingers of Frost's tooltip, the spells are exclusively available to different specs - Fire and Frost - and as such it is not possible to use Scorch to trigger Fingers of Frost.
Tips and tactics
- This talent shines when used in conjunction with [Shatter], causing the spells to be cast under its influence to have a high chance to critically strike. It improves a Frost Mage's mobility by making them able to cast high-damage Ice Lances on the run.
Patches and hotfixes
- The damage bonus was increased to 140%, not 120%.
- Hotfix (2014-10-15): "rate of activation for Frostbolt and Frostfire Bolt should now correctly factor in the bonus from using the glyphed version of [Icy Veins]."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Fingers of Frost bonus damage applied to Ice Lance has been increased to 100%, up from 25%.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Scorch removed from the tooltip.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Now has a 15% (was 12%) chance to activate from [Frostbolt], [Frostfire Bolt] and [Frozen Orb], and a 5% (was 4%) chance to activate from [Blizzard].
- Still mentions Scorch even though it's only available to Fire mages.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now triggered by Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt and Frozen Orb (12% chance), Blizzard (4% chance), and Scorch (9% chance).
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Fingers of Frost bonus damage applied to Ice Lance has been increased to 25%, up from 15%.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Can no longer be dispelled and now also increases Ice Lance damage by 15%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Proc chance is now 7/14/20%, down from 10/20/30%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Changed from 2 to 3 ranks. Chance to proc is now 10/20/30%, up from 7/15%.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): This talent now triggers immediately on casting a spell rather than being delayed until the spell strikes the target.