- This article is about the colossals of Draenor. For the titanic creatures sometimes called earth giants, see vanir.
The earth giants, also known as colossals or colossi and presumably grom in Orcish, were an immense species of giant that once lived on Draenor before being driven extinct. They were enormously large, could possess either one or two eyes and were the ones who first shaped Draenor. The earth giants were the ancestors of the magnaron, gronn, and by extension the ogron, ogres and ettins.
Whatever they were, the only signs of their passing were the Temples of the Damned built during the Second War. Several massive earth giant skeletons can be found across the alternate Draenor, but it seems these remains were destroyed along with the rest of Draenor in the main universe.
Temples of the Damned
- Main article: Temple of the Damned
The Temples of the Damned, also known as "grombolar", or "bowels of the giant" in Orcish, were said to be "formed from petrified carcasses of the race of giants that inhabited the Orcish homeworld."
This section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
The massive skeletons of several earth giants can be found in various locations throughout the alternate Draenor.
The giants were hunted by the Thunderlord clan generations ago. The skeleton of a particularly large one, rumored to be the last of its kind, served as their home in Frostfire Ridge. According to an orcish legend, the largest beast to ever walk the world was a colossus named Gorgrond, and when it fell its body became the large landmass of the same name. Its spine became the mountains, its blood the ore and its will the savagery that rules Gorgrond's inhabitants.
The remains of three other giants — Colossal's Fall, Agurak's Fall and the Boneslag — can also be found in Frostfire Ridge. The skull of another looms over Deadgrin. Another skull can be found far to the east off the coast of Gorgrond, submerged near two small islands that are not marked on the map. It has fungi growing out of its eye and mouth. A seventh can be found directly west of Oshu'gun, overlooking the Ancestral Grounds.
In the RPG
The Horde Player's Guide says that "ogres were one of the last races of Draenor's giants." This is implying that there has been more than one race of giants that have lived on Draenor, which was later confirmed.
Concept art of Grom'gar.
- They are likely referred to as "grom" in Orcish, which sounds similar to "gronn". This comes from the shared root word of both "grombolar", or "bowels of the giant", and "Grommash", or "giant's heart".
- ^ a b c d Beasts of the Savage Lands — Frostfire Ridge
- ^ Characters of Warcraft: Fenris Wolfbrother. Retrieved on 2016-04-28. “Fenris and the rest of the Thunderlords claim the icy expanse of Frostfire Ridge as their territory, constructing their hunting halls from the gigantic bones of long-dead colossals.”
- ^ a b
- ^ a b Draka's gossip text in Gorgrond
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume 2 Issue 1, Earth giant lineage chart
- ^ a b Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Orc Buildings, Temple of the Damned
- ^ Bennie, Scott; Richard Farrese, Bob Fitch. Horde Player's Guide, 154-156. ISBN 9781588467720.
- ^ Monument to Grom Hellscream