Grand Apothecary Putress
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.3a.
Chief Apothecary of the Society
- "Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had FORGIVEN?"
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Putress was an important figure during the second Scourge Invasion, researching the zombie infestation from an apothecary camp in Shattrath City. Eventually, he began sending Horde members back to their capital cities with severed Scourge heads containing both the plague and an anti-plague, believing them to hold the secret of a cure. As he expected, his research did eventually lead to a cure, as well as his promotion to Grand Apothecary. When Warchief Thrall called for a meeting with other Horde leaders to discuss how to deal with the Scourge, Sylvanas Windrunner offered Putress's services to Thrall citing that his knowledge of the plague would make him a valuable asset in the campaign against the Lich King.
Battle for the Undercity
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
In the early stages of the Northrend Campaign, the Royal Apothecary Society put the finishing touches on the Forsaken blight, a new plague that not only killed living creatures but also destroyed the undead. In the middle of the battle at Angrathar the Wrathgate, after Dranosh Saurfang was slain by the Lich King, Putress appeared on a cliff overlooking the battlefield and used Forsaken catapults to unleash the blight on the unsuspecting forces gathered below, indiscriminately killing Scourge, Horde, and Alliance alike and forcing the Lich King to retreat back into Icecrown Citadel. The losses on all sides were great, and perhaps the greatest loss of all was the death of Highlord Bolvar Fordragon.
In the aftermath of the battle, it was revealed that Putress and several members of the Royal Apothecary Society had sided with Varimathras, who had secretly remained loyal to his nathrezim brothers and the Burning Legion while serving under Sylvanas Windrunner. Together, they had orchestrated a coup d'état and forcefully taken control of the Undercity, nearly killing Sylvanas in the process. While the Horde banded together with Thrall and Sylvanas to , assaulting it directly, the Alliance joined with King Varian Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore, embittered by the loss of Bolvar, to invade the city via the sewers to and retake Lordaeron. Ultimately, Putress was killed in Varian's manhunt, and the king was left to gaze at the full horror of the Royal Apothecary Society's work. Putress' head was then severed from his body and Varian tossed it to Thrall's feet.
- Blight Overload - The caster is overloaded with Blight.
- Blight Barrel - Throws a Blight Barrel at the foe, dealing 4163 to 4837 shadow damage and inflicts 1850 to 2150 shadow damage every sec. for 6 secs.
- Unholy Frenzy - Increases an ally's attack speed and damage dealt by 50% for 20 sec.
His first appearance was as a level 80 elite at the new apothecary camp on the Terrace of Light in Shattrath City during the Echoes of Doom Scourge Invasion, where he was involved with the following quests:
- Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!
- Now, all can see this is the hour of the Forsaken.
The Battle For Undercity
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: Do not let them pass minons!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: KILL THEM! My work must not be interrupted!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: Stare into the abyss and watch as it blackens your souls!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: You are no match for my creations!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: This cannot be happening!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: It will not end like this! I've worked too hard! So many years... I... I will consume more energy!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: The power washes through me! I see... EVERYTHING!
- Grand Apothecary Putress yells: MORE SUFFERING AWAITS!
Putress during the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate.
Putress oversees the destruction wrought upon the Wrathgate by the new plague.
Putress outside the Ring of Valor in Orgrimmar, just before the Scourge attack.
- Putress is voiced by David Lodge.
- He was one of two known grand apothecaries in the Society, the other being Doctor Sintar Malefious.
- His mask may be a reference to the crow masks worn by plague doctors during the Black Death, though it looks more like a horse skull in art.
- Both versions of Deathbringer Garb, the warlock Tier 8 set, are recolors of Grand Apothecary Putress's outfit.
- His armor resembles that of the Avatar of Grenth from Guild Wars.
- Putress' Wrathgate quote, "death to the Scourge and death to the living!", has become somewhat iconic among some Forsaken players.
Master Apothecary Faranell
Chief Apothecary of the Royal Apothecary Society
Master Apothecary Faranell