The Grand Magister is the title traditionally held by the leader of the Thalassian magisters. It is an extremely high and prestigious rank to hold in Quel'Thalas, above even the Ranger-general of Silvermoon. Like the ranger-general, the grand magister is an elected position.
The individual bearers of the title style themselves as the "Grand Magister of Quel'Thalas." The title was once held by Grand Magister Belo'vir, a renowned magus who was elected several years before the Third War, who was slain during the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas. Following the war and the rise of the blood elves, Archmage Rommath became his successor. Under his leadership, the magisters retained their high political power in Thalassian society after the near-calamity.
- A portion of the Magister's Terrace is named Grand Magister's Asylum. After his return from Outland, resided there.
- There are several items bearing the title such as .
- had long coveted the title of Grand Magister, and his inability to attain it was among the perceived slights that fueled his eventual betrayal.
- The blood magi are also counted among the grand magister's subordinates.
- Reglakk of the Gorian Empire of ogres was a grand magister.
- , leader of the Nightborne elves, is styled as Suramar's "Grand Magistrix".
- It may be that this title is the Thalassian version of the title the head of Dalaran, Archmage Antonidas once held. Antonidas has been named the "Grand Magus of the Kirin Tor," while Rommath has been called the "Grand Magister of Quel'Thalas."
Grand Magister Belo'vir
Grand Magister of Quel'Thalas