Grommash Hold fortress located in the Valley of Strength in the orc capital of Orgrimmar. It is named after the orcish hero Grom Hellscream, and serves as the administrative center of the Horde. , son of Grom and current Warchief of the Horde, and his advisors reside within. Delegations from Silvermoon and the Undercity reside within, including paladin and priest trainers, as well as the trainer for archaeology.is an enormous
Prior to the Shattering
Thrall held court inside the hold, while outside a traveler would find a monument to the orcs' triumph over demonic influence. , the demon lord who cursed the bloodline of the orcs, fell in battle to Thrall and Grom Hellscream. Mannoroth’s skull and armor were displayed on the trunk of an ancient tree, bearing a plaque that told of the orcs' victorious transformation and reminded readers of the mistakes of the past. The keep was simple, and while well designed, it lacked the riches and statues one might see in a human palace.
This Grommash Hold was destroyed in the Shattering, and was replaced by the current Hold, located in the Valley of Strength.
In Patch 4.0.1, a meeting of the Horde leaders gathers in the hold (for the Alliance version, see Throne Room). In front of the throne stands a semi-circle facing Thrall, starting from the left: , , and .
- Thrall says: Let us begin.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Are we not going to have more witnesses?
- Thrall says: I do not wish to make an event of this. Such frivolities are expensive and merely serve our vanity. But if you wish to have a celebration...
- Garrosh Hellscream says: No Warchief, this is enough.
- Thrall says: You know that these are troubling times for the Horde. Our supplies dwindle. Our lands are barren. These are tasks that must be addressed for the good of the Horde.
- Vol'jjn says: Da people be happy with our success in Northrend.
- Garrosh says: "Our" success? Troll, you played no part in the Horde's victories in Northrend. While I led our warriors against the Lich King, you merely took back a few scattered islands.
- Vol'jjn says: Watch yourself, young one. You don't-
- Eitrigg says: Garrosh! Vol'Jin! Hold your tongues. There are larger issues at stake.
- Vol'jin says: Forgive my outburst, Warchief. Please continue.
- Thrall says: Despite our success in Northrend, we face serious problems that cannot be solved simply by axe and sword. Earthquakes shake every region. Elementals ravage the countryside. I can hear our land Azeroth, cry out in pain.
- Garrosh says: These are the reasons that you must leave.
- Thrall says: Yes, I leave for Nagrand to learn from the elements there. They have suffered and seen many of these same symptoms.
- Vol'jin says: How long you gonna be gone?
- Thrall says: It may take time to learn what I must. I trust I will not be gone too long, but it could be weeks - even months.
- Thrall says: In my absence, I am instructing you, Garrosh Hellscream, to lead the Horde. You have the strength and courage that our people need to survive in these trying times.
- Garrosh says: I am honored, Warchief. But I feel unprepared for the life of a ruler.
- Thrall says: You will not be alone. You will have advisors: Cairne, Eitrigg, Vol'jin. They will help guide you.
- Thrall says: And though I am leaving soon, I can also instruct you.
- Vol'jin says: A good first test may be dealin' with dese cultists. Da people be scared. Dey aren't sure what's goin' on.
- Garrosh says: But even we are not sure of all that is happening. Should we capture these cultists and force their silence? But that may anger the rest of the people... Still, we cannot allow the cult to spread fear and lies...
- Eitrigg says: Now you are thinking like a ruler, Garrosh. You must look at all sides of a problem. Consult with your advisors and act with confidence.
- Thrall says: They will help you Garrosh. And I will help you. I will find the answers that we need to assuage the fears of the people and soothe the elements.
- Garrosh says: I will not fail you, Warchief. I will lead as well as I can, and I will consult with the advisors you suggest. I know what a tremendous honor you do me, and I will strive to be worthy of it.
- Thrall says: Then it is done.
- Thrall says: Let everything you do be done for the Horde.
- Vol'jin says: For da Horde!
- Eitrigg says: For the Horde!
- Garrosh says: For the Horde!
In Patch 5.4.0
Garrosh Hellscream leaves Grommash Hold and now sits upon his new throne within the Underhold, leaving the Kor'kron Dark Shaman, to guard it in his absence while the Horde Rebellion and Alliance lay siege to the city.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
After the Battle for the Broken Shore, Vol'jin was brought hurt and poisoned. The building became closed to visitors, excepted for adventurers which High Overlord Saurfang let pass. While sitting on the throne, Vol'jin declared Warchief and died right after. Following his funeral ceremony, the building was closed but opened later again.