Guide to obtaining every blacksmithing recipe
|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
|Ingredients · Proficiencies · Quests · Recipes · Trainers · Economical Training|
This is a guide to obtaining every blacksmithing recipe in order to be the most complete Blacksmith. It has been designed primarily around Blacksmithing skill level rather than character level.
There are times, though, where character level will intrude — where you must be a particular level if you wish to learn a given rank of Blacksmitning skill or where you must face foes of a particular level should you want to do some particular task.
This guide specifically omits recipes learned from trainers. If you cannot find Blacksmithing Trainers, this guide is probably not of much value to you.
- 1 What to do?
- 2 Apprentice 0-75
- 3 Journeyman 76-150
- 4 Expert 151-225
- 5 Artisan 226-300
- 6 Artisan skill: 300
- 7 Master skill: 301-375
- 8 Grand Master skill: 376-450
- 9 Recipes requiring Weaponsmithing specialization
- 10 Recipes requiring Armorsmithing specialization
- 11 Faction reward recipes
What to do?
- When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping! Many recipes are available from vendors, in limited quantities or not. Part of the point of this article is to tell you where to go to get them...
- Auction House trawling
- Many recipes are world drops. That is, anything, anywhere, of the appropriate level can drop the recipe. Since there are many more tradeskills available than you can take, the odds that a given recipe drop being one that you can use is small. Your odds are much better looking to the auction house.
- As opposed to the above, some recipes are looted off of only a select number of creatures. For some, you need defeat only one (or a very few). Others are more elusive, and you may find yourself devoting days to the hunt. And some, you must defeat a boss in some instance to acquire. Still, some (but not all) of these are Bind on Equip, and so may be found in the auction house.
- Sometimes, the only way to learn a recipe is to do 'favors' for people. Or work the right lever on the right machine. Also, there are some quests that require the fruits of some tradeskill. While this article is primarily about gaining recipes, these quests may (or may not) provide opportunity to gain skill in your craft. Note that some of these recipes are tradable, others are not. While it is mechanically possible to find these recipes on the neutral auction house (or even the opposite faction one), it is vanishingly rare to actually find them there.
- Many recipes are privately held by a group, and you may only acquire it when you reach some level of favor with that group. As gaining reputation is more arduous (generally) than either gaining levels or gaining skill, these recipes have been listed separately.
- Some things just do not fall into neat categories. "Everything is miscellaneous."
Some schematics fall into several categories. Where possible, the easiest means of acquiring the schematic is the one mentioned.
Also, schematics that are Bind-on-Pickup(BoP) are noted as such. All schematics requiring reputation, and some vendor-sold ones, are Bind on Pickup.
- 190 (VERY uncommon)
- 200 (rare plans that make an uncommon item)
- in Gadgetzan, Tanaris
- These quests are only offered during the Feast of Winter Veil.
- Completing the Mithril Order quest chain yields the following plans
Followed by all of:
- Magnus Frostwake
- To gain access to this vendor, you must complete to gain . (You must also have the essence equipped.)
- Derotain Mudsipper
- A neutral NPC who gives quests for the entire Imperial Plate set. You have to have at least 265 blacksmithing skill to get these quests. Note also that many of the recipes require considerably more skill than 265 to use (that is, to learn the recipe). As the quests consist of: Pay X Thorium Bars, get a recipe, he is much like a vendor.
- 230 (noted above, under Expert and the Mithril Order quests.)
- 285 -
- 290 -
- The (former) Weaponsmithing subspecialization quests
- 275 - dropped by Ribbly's Crony or Hammered Patron in Blackrock Depths. Found on the AH fairly regularly.
- 285 from Ribbly Screwspigot in Blackrock Depths (2.5%...easier to get it from the AH)
- 290 from Volchan, a rare Burning Steppes giant.
- Blacksmithing Plans in Blackrock Depths
- Blacksmithing Plans in Stratholme
Artisan skill: 300
300 was the skill cap prior to Burning Crusade. A lot of items require 300 skill to learn/craft. And a lot of those required adventuring rather than simply asking a vendor...
|300||Moam, in the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj|
|300||The Prophet Skeram, in Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj|
|300||Quartermaster Zigris, in Blackrock Spire.|
|300||Goraluk Anvilcrack, in Upper Blackrock Spire|
|300||also from Goraluk|
|300||Bannok Grimaxe, in Lower Blackrock Spire|
|300||Foreman Marcrid, in Western Plaguelands (~100%)|
|300||Maleki the Pallid, in Stratholme (~7%)|
|300||Cannon Master Willey, in Stratholme (~5%?)|
|300||Molten Core bosses (BoP)|
- Runic armor drops
- 300 - Tidelord Rrurgaz on Alcaz Island in Dustwallow Marsh
- Also off of Strashaz Myrmidon
- 300 - (BoP) the Strashaz Warriors on Alcaz Island drop this (rarely)
- 300 - (BoP) sometimes seen as a drop off of Strashaz Serpent Guard
- 300 - (BoP) the Scarlet Smith in Hearthglen in Western Plaguelands often drops this.
- 300 - (BoP) dropped uncommonly by Scarlet Cavaliers in Hearthglen in Western Plaguelands
- 300 - Tidelord Rrurgaz on Alcaz Island in Dustwallow Marsh
- 300 - , only offered if you have Sulfuron Ingot in your possession, at any reputation level.
- 300 , , - turn in Encrypted Twilight Texts to Hermit Ortell in Silithus; this is occasionally a reward.
- The Naxxramas blacksmithing quests
- The Advanced Armorsmithing quests of Dire Maul
- You have to acquire the books on Advanced Armorsmithing by combining 2 halves dropped from various bosses. (The parts are BoE, so can occasionally be found on the auction house.)
Master skill: 301-375
- All the plans here are BoP, and can only be rolled on by blacksmiths
- 360 - Auchenai Monk in the Auchenai Crypts.
- 360 - Unchained Doombringer in Arcatraz.
- 360 - Murkblood Raider in Nagrand
- 360 - Deathforge Guardian in Shadowmoon Valley
- 365 - Cabal Fanatic in Shadow Labyrinth
- 365 - Disembodied Protector in Netherstorm
- 365 - Boulderfist Warrior in Nagrand
- 365 - Any of Enraged Air Spirit, Enraged Fire Spirit, Enraged Earth Spirit, Enraged Water Spirit in Shadowmoon Valley
- 365 - Anger Guard in Blade's Edge Mountains. Also reported to drop from the enraged spirits in Shadowmoon Valley
- 370 - Crazed Murkblood Foreman, Crazed Murkblood Miner, or Ashtongue Warrior in Shadowmoon Valley
- 370 - High Botanist Freywinn, in The Botanica
- 370 - Nexus Stalker in Mana-Tombs in Auchindoun.
- 375 - Sunfury Bloodwarder in Netherstorm.
- Hunting in Northrend (all BoP)
- 375 - Gundrak Savage in Zul'Drak
- 375 - Iron Rune-Shaper in Grizzly Hills
- 375 - Venture Co. Excavator in Sholazar Basin
- 375 - Onslaught Mason in Dragonblight
- These plans are largely BoE, though the items they create may or may not be.
- From random mobs in The Eye and Serpentshrine Cavern:
- From random mobs in Black Temple
- From random mobs in Sunwell Plateau
Grand Master skill: 376-450
- Recipes items from the Trial of the Crusader raid
- Recipe items from Ulduar raids (hard modes)
Recipes requiring Weaponsmithing specialization
- Weaponsmithing trainer
- Axesmith specialties
- Hammersmith specialties
- Swordsmith specialties
Recipes requiring Armorsmithing specialization
- Armorsmithing trainer
Faction reward recipes
|Argent Dawn||Honored||2 20||290||Plate||Waist||BOE|
|Valiance Expedition||Exalted||12 75||450||Enchantment|
|Timbermaw Hold||Honored||1 80||290||Waist||BOE|
† The plans for and are not sold at the Cenarion quartermaster, but by Lieutenant General Andorov.