|Title||Enemy of Nature, The Great Game Hunter, The Butcher of Badlands, The Stranglethorn Ripper, Old Man Death, Hemet, Nessie, Ol' Dirty, Ol' Dirty D, Father of the Bounty, The Extinctionator, The Target of D.E.H.T.A.|
|Affiliation(s)||Independent (Nesingwary Expedition)|
|Occupation||Leader of the Nesingwary Safari and Nesingwary Base Camp, former leader of Nesingwary's Expedition|
|Relative(s)||Hemet Nesingwary Jr. (son)|
|Companion(s)||Stampy, Gibby, Kroshik, Stompy, silkwing, ironhide bull, direhorn, cypress condor (pets)|
- "Listen to me, lad, and I'll teach you everything you'll ever need to know."
Hemet Nesingwary is a quest giver and game hunter seen in Nagrand, Sholazar Basin, Valley of the Four Winds and alternate Nagrand. Considered the greatest hunter on Azeroth, he leads safaris to hunt the wildlife of Azeroth and beyond, and is the author of The Green Hills of Stranglethorn. He is generally to be found in the wild, camped out with a group of fellow hunters, surrounded by a variety of grizzly trophies collected from the native game of the area. Nesingwary and his cohorts tutor adventurers on the hunting and trapping of wild creatures.
Hemet fought in many battles alongside Ajeck Rouack's father, and has been described by his servant Barnil Stonepot as a war hero of the Alliance. Nesingwary is the father of Hemet Nesingwary Jr., who has taken over some of his father's duties in Stranglethorn in order to allow him to focus on new and even more exotic game in newly discovered lands.
Legends: The Thrill of the Hunt
Hemet was hired by the night elves of Nighthaven to track down a crazy furbolg that was terrorizing the elves. He chased him into the Winterspring where he almost caught him not for the interference of Creedy's hunters. The furbolg escaped but one of the hunter recognized him to be the most famous hunter. They told him they were hunting a fox and Hemet joined them. After they found the animal's tracks, he immediately understood they were not after the fox and left them. He went after the tracks only to be attacked by a lion who turned out to be Teleena. She explained him that her mount, Isis had cubs who were hunted by Creedy's hunters. Hemet understood that Creedy was not an honest hunter so he decided to help Teleena and her three cubs. They successfully escaped Creedy but the cruel hunter was able to shoot Teleena. Hemet took her to a nearby cave and started to heal her but it was too late, she died saying to take care of the three cubs.
Nesingwary began with constructing the traps, killing Creedy's hunters one by one. Hemet managed to pull Creedy into a trap and bounded him to a tree, leaving him to be eaten by whatever creatures lived in the wilds. The furbolg Hemet has been hunting appeared and killed Creedy. Hemet killed the furbolg right after.
After this, he once visited The Blue Recluse and retold Flint Broadshot his story where he learned the true meaning of an honorable kill and the "thrill of the hunt" when he found himself guarding three Frostsaber cubs from unscrupulous human hunters in Winterspring.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Hemet Nesingwary was stationed in Stranglethorn Vale and was level 40, but has since increased both his level and his need for bigger game in Outland and Northrend. The Stranglethorn Vale quests he used to offer are now given by his son Hemet Nesingwary Jr.
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
With the opening of the Dark Portal, Hemet Nesingwary saw this as an opportunity to hunt new prey. He traveled to Nagrand and set up camp and welcomes every one who wishes to join the hunt. His choice of target there appeared to be the clefthoof and Banthar is their champion. His ultimate target was Tusker.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
In World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, Hemet Nesingwary has returned to Azeroth, moving his operations (via a boat crash landing this time) to the Nesingwary Base Camp, located in Sholazar Basin in western Northrend. (Evidently, his piloting skills have not improved.)
He became respected by Frenzyhearts and Keket wants to see him during the Children's Week. Hemet advised him to read The Green Hills of Stranglethorn if he wants to hunt with him.
Unlike from the original WoW-to-BC transition, Nesingwary can still be found in Nagrand as well as Sholazar Basin. It was previously assumed that Hemet Jr. (or another son) would replace him in Nagrand, but this does not appear to be the case.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Hemet and his son make an appearance in Mists of Pandaria at Nesingwary's Safari near the south-west of the Valley of the Four Winds, in Pandaria. They have traveled here with a small group, having arrived by hot air balloon, The Killem' Jaro (and not crashing for a change). After he had valley's wildlife hunted, his son wanted to step out of his father's shadow by hunting his own game hunt. Nevertheless, Hemet had to rescue his junior from the spell of Torjar's Bane.
Warlords of Draenor
This section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
The Alliance and Horde invited Hemet to come to Nagrand to hunt big game. However, when he got here, they instead told him to hunt the Warsong wolves. This made Hemet disappointed, as he wanted to hunt big game, and felt the domesticated wolves weren't worth the effort. He set up a "camp" in eastern Nagrand, just north of Hallvalor, and began drinking heavily.
If a player drinks with him, Hemet may sometimes appear in their garrison.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Valley of the Four Winds||86||26,520|
|Valley of the Four Winds||87||28,755|
|Nagrand (Warlords of Draenor)||99||15,900,200|
He is involved in the following quests in
- His name is an anagram of the author Ernest Hemingway. Hemingway was an avid hunter, fisherman, and safari traveler. The theme of the "Great White Hunter" is common in his books. The Green Hills of Stranglethorn is a parody of Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa, a nonfiction work describing his safari adventures. Also, the achievements for finishing Hemet's quests in Outland ( 10 ) and Northrend ( 10 ) are a reference to other Hemingway books: Hills Like White Elephants and The Snows of Kilimanjaro.
- Before 2.0.1, Hemet Nesingwary could be found at Nesingwary's Expedition in Stranglethorn Vale. Now his son, Hemet Nesingwary Jr., looks after the camp.
- Sometimes a gnome, Kristen Dipswitch, might appear from the road leading to Zangarmarsh and get attacked at the safari by another NPC — an assassin. Killing the assassin will provide the player with a quest.
- The US PvE realm Server:Nesingwary US of the Emberstorm battlegroup is named after Hemet.
- He appears as a legendary card in the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion for Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. His flavor text reads: "It's hard to make a living as a hunter in a world where beasts instantly reappear minutes after you kill them."
- He is also the fifth and penultimate (second to last) boss that new players face in the game's initial tutorial. Since his legendary card was only first introduced in the GvG expansion, he was the last of the tutorial bosses to be added as a collectible minion card to the game.
Hemet as he appeared prior to Warlords of Draenor.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Appearance in Valley of the Four Winds added.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Appearance on Mount Hyjal added.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Appearance in Sholazar Basin added.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Moved to Nagrand.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Replaced by his son, Hemet Nesingwary Jr. in Stranglethorn Vale.
|Nagrand (Outland)||Sholazar Basin||Mount Hyjal||Valley of the Four Winds||Nagrand (Draenor)|