Hero (Warcraft III)
A hero (also called a hero unit, or rarely a legend) is a unit-type in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and the expansion Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Heroes are very special units. They have the ability to advance in levels, collect items in a small inventory, and confer special benefits to the units near them. In many ways, they are the leaders of your other units.
- Heroes can level up to become stronger. He or she earns 1 Ability Point each level and can learn new abilities or improve existing ones.
- The level cap is 10, but can be changed in custom maps.
- The three hero attributes are:
- Each hero has a Primary Attribute which is one of the three above. Besides its usual effect, it also increases the hero's base damage by 1. As the hero's level increases, the number of attribute-points will increase. Additional points can also be gained by using books that are usually dropped by creeps.
- A hero can carry up to six items that increase his or her attributes (also attributes such as Hit Points, regeneration rate, and attack speed) and/or have some other special effect.
- When a hero dies, he or she can be revived at an altar, or at a tavern (The Frozen Throne only), for a price depending on the level of the hero. The price is higher at taverns because it revives the hero instantly while an altar needs some time to re-summon the hero.
- When a hero dies, it leaves no corpse. Instead of decaying down into the ground like most other units, dead heroes will turn transparent and levitate upwards before they disappear (the soul flies to the heavens). Undead heroes have different ways of dying, such as the Lich's implosion and the Dreadlord explosion into bats, but a stream of souls will fly upwards from where they died. Heroes without a dissipation-animation will turn transparent and disappear on the ground.
The experience needed to achieve a level is (Previous level's xp needed) + (100*Level).
|Hero Level||Experience Required|
The experience a hero gets for killing a unit is based on the unit's "level". Unit levels are fixed unlike heroes.
The experience gained after level 1 is (Previous level xp gained+(5*(level+1))).
|Unit Level||Experience Gained|
Summoned units give 50% of this experience.
Experience for killing creeps is reduced (only in Frozen Throne) to a percentage based on the hero's level:
|Hero Level||Experience %|
|5 and up||0%|
The experience given for killing a hero is as follows:
|Enemy Hero Level||Experience Gained|
|5 and up||300 +100 per
level above 5
- A player may have up to three different heroes. The first one will only cost 5 food, while the two others will in addition to food cost gold and lumber.
- Every hero starts at level 1, with 1 point to assign to an ability.
- Heroes can be trained at altars or at a tavern. The altar only offers heroes of the race which the altar belongs to, while the tavern offers Neutral Heroes which can be hired by any race. It is possible to mix them, for example choosing two heroes from the altar and a third from the tavern.
- The name of the hero is randomly chosen.
- At tiers 2 and 3, a player who owns only one Hero (dead Heroes count) will gain bonus experience. This bonus is 15% at tier 2, and 30% at tier 3.
- This affects all experience gain--both from killing creeps and enemy units.
- In campaigns, heroes are often major characters in the plot. There are however melee heroes in some missions. Most of the hero-types in the melee games are "represented" in the campaigns through these plot-related heroes, which in gameplay comparison only differ in visual looks and sound-quotes.
- Usually, the player can't train any other heroes. It is, however, often still possible to revive any dead heroes. If it is not, the death of the hero will likely trigger mission defeat. If this is the case, the quest-objective will mention that the hero(es) must not die.
- Heroes that represent characters are carried through the campaign. They keep their items, experience and abilities.
- The level cap can be different per mission, to prevent the hero from reaching level 10 too fast.
|Patch 1.06 (06/04/2003)|
|Patch 1.10 (07/01/2003)|
The Frozen Throne
|Patch 1.15 (05/11/2004)|
|Patch 1.17 (09/20/2004)|
- Warcraft III heroes, for a list of all Warcraft III heroes.
- Random hero, for a list of randomly generated heroes.
- (These lists are very similar, and overlaps each other to some degree)