Mastery: Ignite is the Fire Mage Mastery, improved by the mastery secondary stat. Whenever the Mage hits with [Fireball], [Fire Blast], [Scorch], [Pyroblast], or [Flamestrike], the target burns for additional damage over 9 seconds. Ignite also procs off [Meteor] and [Cinderstorm] if the Mage is talented into these spells.
- [Conflagration] causes targets affected by Ignite to sometimes flare up, causing the target and all other nearby targets to take instant fire damage.
- Ignite will attempt to spread itself to any nearby enemy, regardless of whether or not the enemy is in combat with the Mage.
- If an Ignite is attempting to spread itself to a target that is already affected by an Ignite of lesser damage by the same Mage, it will overwrite that Ignite.
- If an Ignite is attempting to spread itself to a target that is already affected by an Ignite of greater damage by the same Mage, it will fail and be overwritten by the larger Ignite.
- Ignite cannot Critically Strike, and is unaffected by Haste.
- Before becoming a mastery Ignite used to be generated from Critical Strikes only, but dealt 40% damage from the spell rather than 12%, and was triggered by all Mage Fire damage spells.
- Prior to Patch 2.0.1, Ignite used to stack up to 5 times. This was due to the debuff limit that existed, allowing only one Ignite to exist per target. Ignite did not recalculate its damage, it simply dealt damage based off the spell that triggered it. Consequently this made Ignite the highest damage spell in the game, due to the fact that it could deal up to 200% damage of a spell critical strike for as long as it was "rolled."
- The term "Rolling Ignite" comes from the Pre-BC era when only one Ignite could exist per target. Any Mage talented into Ignite could add stacks to and extend the duration of the Ignite on the boss, "rolling" the Ignite until it expired due to a lack of critical strikes or was forced to expire due to aggro generation.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2016-09-01): "Ignite spreading will no longer incorrectly remove other Mages' Ignite."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Ignite's duration increased to 9 seconds, up from 5. Base Mastery reduced to 6% (down from 12%). Level learned reduced to 78, down from 80. Ignite will now spread itself automatically if possible.
- No longer affects [Frostfire Bolt], [Inferno Blast], and multistrikes.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Ignite now deals the same total damage with a 1 second period (down from 2 seconds). Base duration changed to 5 seconds so that duration when refreshed remains 6 seconds.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned into Fire specialization mastery.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Ignite is now a 3 Ranks talent, down from 5 Ranks. Causes the target to burn for an additional 13/26/40% of Fire Spell Critical Strikes, up from 8/16/24/32/40%.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Now correctly benefits from the dispel resistance granted by the Arcane Subtlety talent. In addition, this talent will now properly include in its damage calculation any damage of the initial fire critical strike that was absorbed.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14):
- The effect of this talent will now still be placed on the victim if the caster is killed before their spell reaches the target.
- The damage done by this talent no longer receives modifications from effects that increase or decrease damage done by a percentage.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): This talent is no longer triggered by damage dealt by Molten Armor.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05):
- All mages now get their own Ignite debuff per target.
- Ignite no longer stacks.
- Ignite will now reset the DoT duration when recast.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): The effect of this talent will now still be placed on the victim if the caster is killed before their spell reaches the target.
- Patch 1.10.2 (2006-05-02): Bug fix: Should now proc correctly when landing a critical strike with a fire spell.
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): This talent will now only trigger off fire damage generated by mage spells. In addition, when a fire spell is reflected back at the caster, the caster will now correctly receive the Ignite damage.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Can now be dispelled by any effect that dispels magic effects.