|Other major cities||
|Theater of operations|
The Illidari are the servants of  and originally represented a specific, elite faction of his army made of demon hunters, but this has changed under the Slayer's leadership to also include Broken, naga, and shivarra forces. The Illidari are also known as Illidan's forces or Illidan's army. It consists of various factions that have banded together under Illidan's rule. They were one of the prime enemies of the Alliance and Horde in Outland, the other being the Burning Legion. Illidan commanded vast armies throughout Outland, and even a few select groups on Azeroth.
After Illidan's death at the Black Temple, many of the demon hunter survivors were imprisoned by in the Vault of the Wardens, along with the corpse of their master. Later, the freed Illidari regathered with the forces left behind on Mardum, seized control of the Fel Hammer, which became their order hall, and they now fight the Burning Legion alongside the other class orders during the demons' third invasion.
- 1 Composition
- 2 Membership
- 3 Speculation
- 4 References
The main group of Illidari that are explicitly labeled as such seem to serve as an eilte group within the overall faction. This group is composed mostly by demons of many species, particularly Nathrezim, Sayaad, Fiends, Felguards and Satyr, former minions of the Burning Legion who switched their allegiance after the defeat of .
The Illidari Taskmasters who dwell in the Ruins of Sha'naar in Hellfire Peninsula lord over the Dreghood Broken as they search for one of the seven Ata'mal crystals. In Shadowmoon Valley, Illidari appear to serve as front-line foot soldiers against the Sha'tar as they bring the war against Illidan to the steps of the Black Temple.
- Notable members
Fel Orcs - When Illidan invaded Outland, 's primary non-demonic forces were fel orcs, corrupted by his own blood. Led by , the fel orcs are now in the Betrayer's service and primarily man the battlements of Hellfire Citadel. In addition, members of the Shadowmoon clan can be found on the Ata'mal Terrace of Illidan's Black Temple, and the survivors of the Dragonmaw clan - under their aged chieftain, — capture and take control of nether drakes for service in Illidan's armies.
- Shattered Hand clan - Led by
- Shadowmoon clan - Led by
- Bonechewer clan - Led by
- Bleeding Hollow clan - Led by
- Dragonmaw clan - Led by Zuluhed
- Laughing Skull clan - Chieftain unknown
Demons - Magtheridon, as a servitor of the Burning Legion, took control of Outland and brought legions of demonic forces with him. When Illidan toppled , many of these demons swore allegiance to the new lord of Outland. Illidan's demons are free of their natural magic addiction, and the usual fel taint seen alongside the Burning Legion is not present with them. The types of demons that are seen in the Illidari are:
- Shivarra - Illidan's shivarra, under in the Black Temple, now follow in continued service to the Illidari.
Kael'thas's Blood elves - Illidan was briefly captured by his long-time jailor and nemesis, , shortly after arriving in Outland. It was primarily due to the intervention of and his blood elves that allowed the naga under to free him. The blood elves under Kael's command, having been scorned by the Alliance, swore allegiance to Illidan and aided him in toppling Magtheridon. The Betrayer's most trusted legion of blood elf warriors is known as the Crimson Sigil; they are the highest commanders of the Illidari outside of the Black Temple itself.
- Crimson Hand - The closest cadre of blood elves to Kael'thas Sunstrider and among his elite guards in the Eye of Tempest Keep.
- Bloodwarder - Elite fighting force of blood elves loyal to Prince Kael'thas (with one major exception). Their greatest numbers are within Kael's seat of power within Tempest Keep.
- Firewing - Firewing blood elves work for Kael'thas and Illidan, they are using the broken draenei of Tuurem, the Wrekt, as smuggling go-betweens for the creation of the mana bombs.
- Sunfury - High-ranking blood elves once loyal to Kael'thas Sunstrider. The bulk of their army had been established both in Netherstorm and Shadowmoon Valley, while several of their members left the main contingent to follow other pursuits; mainly, the Scryers and the blood elven forces loyal to Illidan Stormrage.
- Sunhawk - A group of Blood Elves loyal to Kael'thas Sunstrider. A small group of them are led by Sironas in Bloodmyst Isle.
- Sunseeker - A group of blood elves fiercely loyal to Kael'thas Sunstrider. They are established in Tempest Keep
Though Kael betrayed Illidan and now serves , some blood elves are still loyal to the Betrayer, such as the demon hunter initiates under , the elite demon hunters under , and the Eclipsion - Blood elves under .
- - The Illidari Council were among the most talented and powerful blood elves led to Outland. The prince left them in Shadowmoon Valley to advise and assist his master, Illidan Stormrage, while he left for Netherstorm. The council vied for Illidan's favor and frequently schemed against one another, naming themselves the Illidari Council in a mostly ostentatious display, but Illidan acknowledged that they were exceptionally gifted in their respective fields: in matters of war and logistics, in the realms of espionage and shadowing, 's talent for upholding relations with Illidan's other servitors, and 's arcane mastery. The council remained some of Illidan's most steadfast followers even after their own prince's defection to the Burning Legion.
- Eclipsion - A group of powerful Blood elves, loyal to Illidan, who are located in southern Shadowmoon Valley, led by . Their champion is . They also employ Eclipsion Dragonhawks and Eclipsion Hawkstriders.
- The Crimson Sigil is the most trusted legion of blood elf troops loyal to , and the most elite blood elf forces outside of the Black Temple. Their headquarters is Crimson Watch, along the Path of Conquest in Shadowmoon Valley. Their most powerful member is .
Naga - Calling in some old Highborne debts from ten millennia earlier, Illidan raised the naga from their undersea lairs in order to aid him in obtaining the Eye of Sargeras, as well as preventing Maiev from following him. Under the direction of Lady Vashj - The naga followed Illidan into Outland where they were instrumental in both obtaining the aid of the blood elves and laying siege to Magtheridon's fortress. They now control the watery areas of Outland, including much of Zangarmarsh.
- Bloodscale - The Bloodscale naga control the area around Serpent and Marshlight Lakes in northern Zangarmarsh. They are led by .
- Darkcrest - The Darkcrests control the area around Umbrafen Lake and the Lagoon in southeastern Zangarmarsh. They are led by .
- Wrathfin - These naga are located within the Underbog.
- Coilfang - These naga are located within Coilfang Reservoir, a gigantic drain in the middle of Serpent Lake in Zangarmarsh. These naga fall under Vashj's direct control and are spread throughout the four wings of Coilfang Reservoir.
- Coilskar - The only confirmed naga tribe outside of Zangarmarsh, this tribe controls the only sources of pure water in Shadowmoon Valley and are based at Coilskar Point — directly in the shadow of the fel-volcano known as Hand of Gul'dan. They are led by who resides within the Black Temple; following its fall, they are now commanded by .
Mur'gul - The naga enslaved many mur'gul to act as both warriors and slaves.
Broken -The Betrayer obtained the aid of and his Broken draenei sometime before the siege of the Black Temple. The Broken proved to be proficient assassins and scouts, and were able to allow Illidan and his army to reach Magtheridon. Though only the Broken of Akama's tribe serve Illidan willingly (though the same cannot be said of Akama himself), Illidan's forces in Hellfire Peninsula and Zangarmarsh have enslaved Broken for menial labor. Tribes working for Illidan:
- Ashtongue tribe - A tribe of Broken in the service of Illidan Stormrage, they joined him to defeat and retained the alliance. They are the most evil Broken draenei tribe, and are used by Akama just to hide his true intentions. Following the fall of the Black Temple, now commands the remaining Ashtongue loyal to the Illidari.
- Murkblood - A group of this Broken tribe that resides in Nagrand serves the faction in Underbog, the faction in Underbog is allied or slaved by , and the last faction is slaved by the Dragonmaw clan. They are led by .
- Dreghood - Almost this complete tribe of Broken is slaved by the Illidari.
- Wrekt - A part of this Broken tribe was slaved by Illidan's Naga, the other part joined with the Lost Ones of Tuurem and have allied with Prince Kael'thas' blood elves.
- Greyheart - A tribe of Broken draenei loyal to Illidan. They inhabit Serpentshrine Cavern in Coilfang Reservoir and fight alongside the Coilfang Naga.
- Wastewalker - A tribe of broken who are enslaved within the Slave Pens of Coilfang Reservoir in Zangarmarsh.
Lost Ones - A few corrupted tribes of Lost Ones can be found serving Illidan and his allies. Other tibes seem to have been enslaved.
- Tuurem - This Lost One tribe have allied with Kael'thas' blood elves.
- Umbrafen - This Lost One tribe is allied with Illidan's naga. They are led by .
- - Allied with the Illidari, though to what extent is unclear.
The most elite of Illidan's armies are his demon hunter servitors, night elves and blood elves trained to be the Betrayer's mightiest enforcers, the bane of demonkind. Zealously loyal to their master, the Illidari demon hunters have a strong identity and a close bond, although their heavy fel corruption and demonic techniques have inspired dread in their fellow elves. Prominent demon hunters took control of Illidan's depleted armies after their master's defeat at the Black Temple, and lead the remaining Illidari as they seek out their leader and battle the Burning Legion. By player choice, their foremost lieutenant is either or . The Illidari's motive for seeking out their master will change depending on whom the player chooses as their right-hand-man: Altruis, no longer loyal to Illidan, desires new leadership for the Illidari; Kayn, loyal to Illidan's cause, wishes to rescue him from his predicament.
- Night elf - Illidan brought some night elf demon hunters from Azeroth with him, and others sought him out at the Black Temple for training.
- Blood elf - Some blood elves Kael'thas brought with him from Azeroth also train under Illidan.
- - Lord of Outland, master of the Illidari.
- The Slayer - Placed in command by Illidan in his absence.
- - Leader of Illidan's naga, former Handmaiden to .
- - Warchief of the Fel Horde
- - Prince of the blood elves, defected to the Burning Legion.
Other notable members
- - Leader of the Ashtongue Deathsworn, defected but later rejoined or was submitted during the Third invasion of the Burning Legion.
- - Loyal soldier and one of 's most trusted lieutenants.
- - Betrayed the Illidari when he saw Illidan becoming the very thing he opposed, but rejoined during the Third invasion of the Burning Legion.
- - Joined the Illidari to avenge his dead son and was the only loyal demon hunter not sent to Mardum, as he had been knocked unconscious in a fight by .
- - Leader of the Coilskar forces that are summoned during the course of the Illidari invasion of Mardum.
- - Leader of the Ashtongue forces that are summoned during the course of the Illidari invasion of Mardum.
- - Leader of the Shivarra forces that are summoned during the course of the Illidari invasion of Mardum.
- - Illidari veteran who aided Illidan to slay the pitlord .
Former notable members
- - Leader of the Dragonmaw clan.
- Varedis - Illidari demon hunter leader at the Ruins of Karabor.
- - Illidari demon hunter.
- - Illidari demon hunter.
- - Illidari demon hunter.
- - Illidari demon hunter
- - Jailor of .
- - One of three leaders of the Bleeding Hollow clan.
- - One of three leaders of the Bleeding Hollow clan.
- - Head of the Crimson Sigil.
- - Found wandering from the Netherwing Fields to Dragonmaw Fortress.
- - Leader of Eclipse Point.
- - Champion of the Crimson Sigil.
- - Overseer of Warden's Cage.
- - Leader of Ata'mal Terrace and holds the .
- - Leader of the Bonechewer clan.
- - First death knight, presumed a leader of Illidari Shadowmoon clan.
- - Jailor of Maiev.
- - Lieutenant of Illidan at Illidari Point.
- - Leader of the Illidari forces at the Ruins of Sha'naar.
- - Leader of Illidari Point.
- of Netherwing Ledge.
- - Leader of Coilskar Point.
- - Leader of the Ruins of Baa'ri.
- - Emissary between Illidari bases in Shadowmoon Valley.
- - Ambassador to the giants.
- - Illidari messenger, guarded by .
- . - The
Other former notable members
- - Leader of the Scryers, defected to the Sha'tar.
- - Brief member of the Illidari; returned to Azeroth and helped form an alliance between Quel'Thalas and the Horde using his contacts on Outland.
- Overlord Mor'ghor - Defected to the black dragonflight, he returned to Azeroth and become the leader of the Dragonmaw clan at Twilight Highlands.
- It was believed by some that the Illidari is not the overall name for Illidan's forces. Illidan Stormrage's recent biography lists his faction as "The Illidari." It is unlikely that he would be listed under an elite subdivision of his own forces, so it is likely the overall name.
- It has been recently confirmed that it is a specific faction of Illidan's army.
- Some believe Illidari may be an adjective form for Illidan's forces. Others believe that it is perhaps a title given to specific members of Illidan's forces. As a title, this appears to be used mostly with his demonic minions. Illidari does include the naga under the command of , blood elves loyal to , the Ashtongue tribe of Broken draenei under the leadership of , and possibly numerous fel orcs and demons presumably from the armies of the previous Lord of Outland, . However, Illidan's Naga and the blood elves under Kael'thas use their own unique banners and tabards rather than those of the Illidari, which may suggest that they are not actually part of the Illidari itself. Most appear to be found in Shadowmoon Valley and the Black Temple. This suggests that the "Illidari" may be an inner circle of forces who are closest to Illidan and certain leaders, and perhaps form an elite guard.
- ^ a b
- ^ Characters of Warcraft - Illidan Stormrage
- ^ Micky Neilson on Twitter
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: The Return to Northrend", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter5.html#39
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/encyclopedia/441.xml
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan, chapter 27
- ^ Micky Neilson on Twitter