- Turn your back on these tiny terrors at your own risk.
Imps are small, cackling, mischievous demons. Despite their lack of physical strength, they possess powers and a cleverness that serve warlocks well, and the simplest of the summoning spells a would-be warlock can learn is that of the imp. Before they are imparted to this, the warlock must prove that they have the necessary magical and physical ability.
All imps are afraid of rainbows. Imps can [Phase Shift] into the Twisting Nether.
Not much is known about the imps' background or history, but at least some of them are known to dwell on the planet Xoroth.
Imp Lord Pinprik, a fel imp in the TCG
Fel imps appear to be a larger and more powerful type of imp. They are easily distinguishable from their weaker cousins by their wings and massive horns.
The fel imps of Felspark Ravine in Hellfire Peninsula are remarkably chatty. They're just as easy to contract into service as their names are to learn. The ritual to summon one is trivial, at best.
Notable fel imps
Other similar creatures
- The forest spirits known as grell are very similar to imps. Though they resemble the mischievous demons, Anchorite Avuun found no demonic traces among the ones he studied. They are, as far as he could tell, uncorrupted.
- Several imp individuals, such as Vi'el and Kil'rek, lack horns, thus making them appear more similar to grell, even though they are actually imps.
- To the untrained eye, flamekin, a brand of fire demon, will look exactly like imps.
- Flame Imps are creatures that roam the Molten Core in large packs.
- Homunculi are demons that roam Karazhan. They are constructed beings that resemble pale-skinned grell. The Fiendish Imp, which appears identical to a homunculus, is called an imp.
As a warlock minion
- Main articles: Imp (warlock minion), Summon Imp
[Summon Imp] is a warlock ability used to summon a controllable Imp to be your minion. It is learned automatically upon character creation. The Fel Imp is a demonic Minion, available at level 75. It is unlocked by the talent [Grimoire of Supremacy] and replaces [Summon Imp].
- Main articles: Fel Imp (warlock minion), Summon Fel Imp
The Fel Imp is a demonic Minion, available at level 75. It is unlocked by the talent [Grimoire of Supremacy] and replaces [Summon Imp].
As a companion pet
This article or section includes speculation, observations or opinions possibly supported by lore or by Blizzard officials. It should not be taken as representing official lore.
- Imps might have been grell infused with, and mutated by, fel energy. Grell resemble imps and the ones on Teldrassil are tainted by fel moss while the grell in Darkshore possess the same [Foul Ichor] that the demons known as satyrs possess.
- Imps also bear a great resemblance to homunculi, demons that can be created or constructed. Imps might be constructed homunculi, not truly living things.
Imps are mythological beings originating from Germanic folklore. They are similar to diminutive fairies or demons, but are often more mischievous than evil or harmful. Imps are commonly seen as the familiars of witches and sorcerers.