- This article is about the character biography of Kanrethad Ebonlocke. For information on how to defeat him in Pursuing the Black Harvest, see Kanrethad Ebonlocke (tactics).
|Title||<Leader of the Black Harvest>|
|Affiliation(s)||Council of the Black Harvest; Stormwind (ostensibly)|
Kanrethad was present, ostensibly as a member of the Alliance, in the battle where Illidan Stormrage was killed during the siege of the Black Temple. Following the battle he shared the secrets of Illidan's transformation with the Council. After Deathwing's downfall, he gathered great warlocks together to form the Council of the Black Harvest and they decided to go after the powers left behind by Ragnaros and Cho'gall, and return in a year's time. He partnered himself with the undead warlock Jubeka Shadowbreaker and together they went to accomplish their mission on Outland.
Travels through Outland
Kanrethad and Jubeka traveled throughout Outland, studying the various demons of the fel-infested land - the fel imps, voidlords, observers, and doomguard - seeking to learn the sources of their power, as well as the secret to how Illidan was able to control them while not being a servant of the Burning Legion. From a captured doomguard in the Blade's Edge Mountains, Kanrethad learned that the doomguard had been servants of the Titans who punished those who worked in sacrificial magics. Near the Hand of Gul'dan, the great fel volcano in the center of Shadowmoon Valley, Kanrethad revealed his ultimate intention - to possibly become a demonic entity himself, recognizing that it came with incredible risk. He recognized that Jubeka feared that he would do to Azeroth what Gul'dan had done to Draenor, the world Outland had once been; he revealed that he had chosen Jubeka as his companion because if he failed, she would have to banish him forever.
Apotheosis and Banishment
Kanrethad and Jubeka returned to the Black Temple, evading the Ashtongue Deathsworn under Akama who had reclaimed the temple after Illidan's death. Entering the Shrine of Lost Souls, Kanrethad recognized it as the power source that allowed Illidan to control demons without their being corrupted by the fel energies endemic to the Legion, and theorized that it had been originally intended as the power source to replace the Sunwell when Kael'thas Sunstrider and his blood elves aligned with him. Since Illidan's death, it grew in strength and power, waiting to be harnessed. The two warlocks prepared a crystal to absorb the arcane magics within the Shrine, leaving it to do its work when they heard Ashtongue patrols hunting them.
An adventurer who studied warlock magics soon came on their trail, locating a strange book known as from a creature on the Isle of Thunder in Pandaria. Upon speaking to their warlock trainer, they learned of the Council and its mission after Deathwing's demise, and followed the trail left by Jubeka into the Black Temple. Reclaiming the now-empowered crystal and taking it to the summit, the warlock witnessed the opening of a massive gateway, and from it stepped Kanrethad in a monstrous demonic form, utterly corrupted by absorbing too much fel energy. He declared that the Black Harvest would enslave hordes of demons and destroy anyone who stood against them, on Outland or on Azeroth. The warlock who stood against him used all of the powers at their disposal, taking control of Kanrethad's pit lord minion and using its powers to augment their own. Though Kanrethad's powers were formidable, the warlock perservered long enough for Jubeka to arrive and fulfill Kanrethad's earlier request to banish him. The warlock then absorbed some of the fel magic, corrupting their fire spells into a sickly fel-green.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Altar of Damnation||??||18,000,006|
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
- Kanrethad is the name of Alexander Brazie or Xelnath's Alliance Warlock. He was a game designer who spearheaded the green fire quest chain during Mists of Pandaria.
- Kanrethad wears the Nemesis Raiment, but with a shirt instead of a full robe.
- Between Wrath of the Lich King and Mists of Pandaria there was an orc warlock named Kanrethad with human Kanrethad's gear hidden in the Strand of the Ancients. He had the title of <Master of Death>, and seemingly was giving at some point of Wrath of the Lich King's development stage a now removed quest for death knights which never made it into the official game.
- During the beta, he had the quote "The strongest of bonds is one which shares pain and pleasure equally." on the warlock talent . This quote, along with most of the others previously seen in the beta, appeared on the abilities of any warlock that completed the Green fire quest chain.
- Kanrethad is present in the list of words created by the in-game language parser for the Draconic, Draenei and Eredun (Demonic) languages. It is however probably not an actual word.
"Ebonlocke" seems to be a family of some renown within Darkshire, with the town's mayor and head of the militia members of it. There is also the ghost of a man named Ebonlocke within Karazhan. Kanrethad also being an Ebonlocke would seem to imply that he is from Darkshire.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Added.