- This article is about the Burning Crusade 10-player raid. For history and lore, see Karazhan. For other uses, see Karazhan (disambiguation).
|Medivh's Tower, KZ, Kara|
|Karazhan loading graphic|
The Karazhan abandoned citadel (or castle) of the same name,  which is located in southern Deadwind Pass in the Eastern Kingdoms. This raid was designed for level 70 characters and opened near the beginning of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade.raid instance is located in the
The raid is a single huge wing (containing seven storeys and 17 map pages) containing both the lower guest complex and upper tower, with some shortcuts. It encompasses twelve boss encounters, some scripted with different possibilities per week from 22 different NPCs. While the layout is largely non-linear, there are four essential bosses: , the Opera Event, , and the Chess Event. These four must be defeated in order, but all other bosses are optional. The final boss is Prince Malchezzar, as the tower's last known occupant — 's presence as the last Guardian of Tirisfal being somewhat absent due to his death. The tower has been sealed itself off from the rest of the world and is filled with spirits and demons, which are the main opponents in the instance.
Anyone above 80 will find Karazhan easily soloable, especially paladins, druids and death knights. At level 85 or greater all classes can do so. The Chess Event is not gear or level dependent and still relies on specific tactics in playing the encounter, along with a little luck and perseverance.
Medivh's staff —— can provide quick transport to the tower. It will teleport players to the front gate of Karazhan.
The raid originally had three shortcuts to access the upper floors from the main entrance. While two are discussed below, the third shortcut was the Side Entrance of the upper Tower. As of Patch 7.0, while both function as entrances and exits, on entry you may be teleported to the other entrance inside, depending on your progress through the instance. In Patch 7.1, the side entrance will be repurposed for the Return to Karazhan dungeon. The portal is found when climbing the tower to the right of the main entrance (across the small creek), the stairs lead to a bridge and to a door which would be unlocked from the inside once the Opera Event has been cleared.
Vendors and repair
- On the ground floor <The Blacksmith> (in the stables near Attumen the Huntsman) will repair gear for players who are Honored with Violet Eye. He also sells some epic Blacksmithing recipes (frost resistance gear). Near him is who wanders around, babbling how evil Midnight and her owner are.
- Near the end, outside of the Gamesman's Hall (before the Chess Event) is . He is a reagent and The Consortium reputation reward vendor, who can repair gear. Note however that has no faction attached to him, so no reputation discounts are available — whether this is a bug or intentional is unclear.
The following is a compilation of areas in Karazhan and the corresponding bosses of the apparent layout of Karazhan.
There are two shortcuts in the instance. First, the Doorman in the front entrance will later teleport you up to the private library. This teleport which activates after the is killed. Secondly, the Servants' Entrance Door is in the Broken Stair, and links with the Ballroom. It is first found near the Master's Terrace by going down a small ramp, where the door can be unlocked from the back. Once open the upper floors can quickly be accessed from the Opera mezzanine above the ballroom, e.g. from the blacksmith to the Curator, or from Nightbane to Berthold (in order to get to Aran). This shortened path helps while running back despite not helping for the initial clear. The Side Entrance no longer works.
- The main entrance
- The Gatehouse – leads to A1, A2, A3
- A1: The Livery Stable – , links to A1+
- A1+: The Guardhouse and Scullery – links to B2
- A2: The Servant's Quarters – one of three random animal bosses, leads to B1
- A3: The Grand Ballroom – leads to B1, B2, and B3
- B1: The Guest Chambers – the stands watch here
- B2: The Banquet Hall –
- B3: The Opera House – the Opera Event, one of three random stage productions
- All paths lead into the Broken Stair
- AA: The Broken Stair – side entrance unlocked by opera event, leads to AA+, BA
- AA+: The Master's Terrace – One may summon Nightbane should the need arise... (dead end)
- BA: The Menagerie – , leads to CA, CB, CC, ??
- Random Servant's Quarters Bosses include three bosses that drop epic-level items that can be worse than virtually any level-70 blue. They follow the pattern of green drops (of the Owl, of the Whale). Useful drops are sparse, but they are epic (they can be disenchanted) and can be sold for a few gold, plus every mob gives normal reputation, which is much considering the low difficulty of that area. The bosses are:
You do not have to clear the entire quarters for a boss to spawn. It appears that the boss will spawn after a certain number of kills occurs. Look for an emote, such as 'Hyakiss the Lurker emerges from...' The boss can also spawn multiple times if the quarters continue to get cleared. Killing the maiden does not prevent respawns in this room. NOTE: These bosses, if done previous to any real bosses in Karazhan, will not lock you with a raid ID to Karazhan. The main value of this area is that it helps a new raid group build confidence and quickly levels everyone's reputation to honored so that Koren can be used to repair (something you want the whole raid to be able to do).
You must kill Moroes before Barnes will allow you to try the Opera Event. To check the week's event without making a real attempt, start it with , then with one or more people on stage (to die) leave the rest of the raid in the pit below. If it's the Big Bad Wolf, the person(s) on stage will need to talk to Grandmother to actually initiate the encounter, without this person the event can sometimes lock up the doorway and the GMs will not help you. The other two events will engage straight away and the person on stage will die or alternatively a Hunter's can be used.
Be aware that the conversations between the stagehands do not contain hints about the upcoming event. They will say "need more paint for the Oz set", even if R&J or Wolf is up for the week.
The Broken Stair is after the stairs leading from the Opera event. The terrace is notable for the summonable boss Nightbane and just by the terrace door, the Servant's Entrance to the upper tower.
- How to reach : After having defeated the Curator, head to the Library, clean your way up the upper part of library until you arrive at Shade door, and continue your way and go down on the first crossroad you encounter.
Built-in zone maps
- Arcane guardians
- Blue dragon (one, )
- Bone golems
- Death knight (one, )
- Dreadsteed (one, )
- Emberwyrm (one, Nightbane)
- Eredar (one, )
- Harvest golems (one, )
- Arcane wraiths
- Mana surges
- Mana wyrms
- Nether dragon (one, )
- Rats (critters)
- Satyrs (one, )
- Skeletal gryphons
- Skeletal horses
- Titanic watcher (one, )
- Trolls (one, )
- Water elementals
- Worgen (one, )
For a description of the entire Karazhan quest chain see: Karazhan Quest Progression
Gettingopens the following follow-up quests:
For the old Serpentshrine Cavern attunement:
- Main article: Karazhan loot
The bosses of Karazhan used to drop in addition to their normal loot. In Karazhan, all bosses dropped two Badges each, except for the animal bosses (zero), (one) and (three). Since the chest at the Chess Event also contained two badges, a total of 22 Badges could be obtained from clearing the entire instance. From Patch 4.0.1 until Patch 6.0.2 all bosses instead awarded .
- There was some discussion as to who is the final boss of Karazhan, or Nightbane. The Prince drops higher level loot (125 vs. 115) and yields three heroic tokens, the most in the entire instance. On the other hand, Nightbane drops the SSC attunement quest item. The difficulty of the two fights is very similar. With the release of the achievements system, Prince Malchezaar is listed as the boss required for the Karazhan achievement, which is evidence that Blizzard considers him the final boss of the raid instance.
- In the Opera House, certain mobs will have a spotlight effect, increasing your damage while in the spotlight (for friend and foe) by 20%. On these mobs, it's considered a good strategy for tanks to move the mob out, and run into the spotlight. "stealing the spotlight"
- In the Opera House, you will meet <The Stage Manager> on the stage, addressing his ghostly audience. Barnes will then announce the night's presentation. One of three boss presentations will appear, each based on famous stories or tales. "Tonight, things are not what they seem, for tonight, your eyes may not be trusted."
- In the first room in the Guest Rooms there is a bed with two skeletons lying in it. Dead roses lay between them, and one has a knife stuck in it, while the other is holding a bottle. This is a reference to Romeo and Juliet.
Karazhan gryphon roost
The Karazhan gryphon roost is left over from the planning phase of Karazhan. Before the teleport to Aran's room was implemented, the original plan was to have a flight path that connected to the top of Karazhan for the convenience of groups who had already cleared most of the instance. With the ability to fly in Azeroth it is now possible to reach the ledge, but the portal is still blocked.
In The Last Guardian, Medivh and Khadgar used the gryphons to reach Stormwind and the Black Morass.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2007-02-14): "Fixed an issue with players losing control of the chess pieces in Karazhan."
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.