|Race||Blood elf (Humanoid)|
|Character class||Demon hunter|
|Occupation||Second-in-command and Champion of the Illidari (dependent)|
Kayn Sunfury is a blood elf demon hunter. He is a loyal soldier and one of Illidan Stormrage's most trusted lieutenants. Honorable and demanding, as well as a fearless leader and a master strategist, he believes that cooperation and sacrifice are necessary to defeat the Burning Legion. Kayn follows Illidan's ideals to get the job done, no matter the cost.
Kayn is one of two characters player demon hunters can choose to be their second-in-command, the other being Altruis the Sufferer, whose ideals and plans for the Illidari are incompatible with Kayn's own. If the player chooses Kayn as their second-in-command, they later go on to recruit the Shade of Akama. If the player chooses Altruis, they instead recruit Akama.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Kayn feels greatly betrayed by Altruis the Sufferer, a renegade demon hunter who left Illidan's cause, plotted to usurp him, and orchestrated the deaths of many Illidari. For this, he is unwilling to forgive him when they are reunited in the Vault of the Wardens.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Vault of the Wardens||100||978,540|
|Azsuna||100 - 110||600,883,380|
Vault of the Wardens
- Lord Illidan knows the way.
- Azeroth must not fall.
- I have sacrificed everything. What have you given?
- My life is dedicated to destroying the Burning Legion.
- We are all that stands between the Legion and annihilation.
- Did you just touch me?
- I wouldn't if I were you.
- Normally I hunt demons but for you I'll make an exception.
- Do it again and your skull will be my whetstone.
- You're no demon, but I will put you in the ground just the same.
- I will feast on your soul!
- Remember, nothing is more important than the Legion's destruction.
- If we do not meet again... die well.
- Do not give in to the power of the Legion.
- Trust in Lord Illidan's plan.
- Death to the Legion.
We must eliminate the Legion threat on this ridge so that you can bring the rest of our forces in from the Black Temple.
- Eons ago, Sargeras created Mardum to imprison demons. He also created the to lock them away.
- Sargeras safeguarded his keystone on this particular fragment. It's a 'skeleton key', allowing access to any Legion world. It's also the key to Lord Illidan's plan for the Legion's destruction.
- Illidari Foothold
<Name>, we must take the fight to the Legion here in the volcano. They must be destroyed before we fly up to the Brood Queen's command ship, the Fel Hammer.
Then we'll kill her, take the Sargerite Keystone, and return to the Black Temple to slay the invaders.
No small feat, but I think we'll manage.
- The Fel Hammer
- "An honor, <name>. Of course I will serve as your champion and second-in-command. Could it have been any other way? We have only just begun to move forward with the master's plan, but already, you have made great strides. If we are to defeat the Burning Legion, we must remain vigilant. Any other goal pales in comparison. The fate of everything hangs in the balance. At the end of the day, we will stand victorious... no matter the cost!"
- Death to our enemies!
- Never surrender!
- The Illidari cannot be stopped!
Notes & Trivia
- Kayn is treated as the default Illidari commander for non-demon hunters, in that it is him, instead of Altruis, that non-demon hunters interact with on the Broken Isles.
- His surname is also the name of the Sunfury forces, an elite group of blood elf soldiers; it is also the name of the palace of Silvermoon City, Sunfury Spire. It is unknown if there is any meaning behind this.
- can be fished up from the fountain in the version of Dalaran.
- Kayn is voiced by Dave B. Mitchell.
During the escape from the Vault of the Wardens, Kayn mentions to Maiev Shadowsong that he, too, has felt betrayal by his own kind. While presumably referring to Altruis' betrayal of the Illidari, it could also be a nod to Kael'thas' defection from the Illidari to the Burning Legion, which Illidan learned of some time before the siege of the Black Temple.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.