- This article is about character history and biography. For his tactics in Hellfire Peninsula, see . For his tactics in Tanaan Jungle, see .
|Occupation||Legion Field Commander in Outland, Re-opener of the Dark Portal (Formerly field commander on Azeroth)|
|Location||Throne of Kil'jaeden, Hellfire Peninsula;
Throne of Kil'jaeden, Tanaan Jungle
Lord Kazzak is a powerful doomguard commander. Once commanding the forces of the Burning Legion on the world of Azeroth, Kazzak was responsible for the reopening of the Dark Portal, and has since relocated to Outland, where he commands the Legion's armies there against all who would oppose them.
When the Burning Legion began its second invasion of Azeroth, Lord Kazzak participated it. His most fearsome lieutenant was . Following the defeat of the Burning Legion at the end of the Third War, the remaining enemy forces, led by the colossal demon Lord Kazzak, pulled back to the Blasted Lands. He tasked Razelikh to secure the land.
In the year 25, Kazzak was located in the Tainted Scar, terrorizing the adventurers of the Horde and Alliance.
One year later, with the future in peril, a relic of the past had also surfaced, radiating renewed energy. This relic had enabled Lord Kazzak to activate the current Dark Portal, thereby reopening the gateway to the shattered realm of Outland. With the portal now opened, Lord Kazzak was seen departing through the Dark Portal. In his stead he left his most powerful lieutenant, , to sow fear and confusion among the defenders. He also entrusted him with retrieving the shards of the Glaive of the Aspects.
Accompanied by a host of infernals, Kruul was seen near a number of major cities in Azeroth. Once Lord Kazzak passed through back to Outland, he was promoted to and set up his throne on top of Throne of Kil'jaeden, a mountain in the Hellfire Peninsula, which he protected until he was defeated.
In the RPG
Archimonde left his blade, the Warblade of Archimonde, in Kazzak's hands. Kazzak wields it in deference to his commander, often holding the weapon aloft and shouting “For Archimonde!” as a battle cry when entering combat. Lord Kazzak's main goal — indeed, his only goal — was to reopen the Dark Portal and return to Draenor, now the shattered realm of Outland. It was unknown if he had the intent to serve Illidan or raise an army to fight the night elf betrayer.
After his master's defeat Kazzak pulled back. He and his forces then occupied a ravaged area in the Blasted Lands known as the Tainted Scar. He lived in a tower hidden in the poisonous fog. Kazzak was a mighty demon with great power, but he lacked independent initiative. Trapped within the Tainted Scar, he was completely cut off from contact with any other demonic forces on Azeroth. Even if such personages — such as — became aware of his presence, they would likely avoid contact for fear of Kazzak's power.
Unlike many demon leaders, who tend to stay behind the lines and direct their minions against a foe, Lord Kazzak loves nothing more than to wade right into the heat of battle. There, he shatters formations with his shadow storm ability while laying waste to individual heroes with his mighty greatsword. As the battle enters its most critical phase, he flies into a rage, reveling in an orgy of destruction.
- The legendary item is named after him.
- In the Fury of Hellfire trailer, a doomguard is seen, likely to be Kazzak.
- was one of his lieutenants and his herald.
- Kazzak was in contact with .
- Those seeking to kill Kazzak from Cataclysm onwards will discover that finding him can be difficult, as he has a long respawn timer and is killed very quickly by whoever finds him first.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 174
- ^ Glaive of the Aspects#Story
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade manual, 6-7.
- ^ Alliance Player's Guide, pg. 174.
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 40.
- ^ Monster Guide, pg. 182.
- ^ a b Monster Guide, pg. 167.
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 41.
- ^ Monster Guide, pg. 166
Legion Field Commander on Azeroth