- For strategy on the Utgarde Pinnacle encounter, see . For strategy on the Maw of Souls encounter, see .
|Title||The Fallen King,
King of the Vrykul
|Former affiliation(s)||Scourge, Vrykul, Dragonflayer clan|
|Occupation||Champion of the Valarjar; formerly King of the Vrykul in Northrend and Leader of the Dragonflayer clan|
King Ymiron was the king of the vrykul in Northrend. In-game, he lies sleeping within Gjalerbron. His people, the Dragonflayer clan, are still fanatically loyal to him. Having proven himself to the , he was converted to the undead and is the last boss of Utgarde Pinnacle.
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
In , the adventurer uncovers an event of the distant past, where King Ymiron declares that the old gods - the Titans - had abandoned them, and pledges to protect the Vrykul race. His first act is to declare that aberrant children, evidently precursors to humans, be destroyed to preserve the Vrykul racial purity. had earlier shown that some families had acted to preserve these children despite the proclamation. This decision makes King Ymiron indirectly responsible for the creation of what is now the human race.
Ymiron was put into a magic sleep before he died, along with many elite vrykul warriors, to be awakened at some point in the future. His wife, , attempted to awaken him so they might serve the vrykul's new death god together. During , players kill Angerboda before the awakening ritual is completed. However, the Lich King arrives and takes Ymiron away to Utgarde Pinnacle. After proving himself, the Lich King made Ymiron undead and had him led the Scourge-allied vrykul against the Horde and Alliance. As adventurers stormed the keep, the vrykul king made his last stand at Ymiron's Seat where he was killed.
After his death, Ymiron was dragged down to Helheim.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Though Ymiron was a fierce warrior, was angered that Ymiron had sold out his people to the Lich King and denied him entrance to the Halls of Valor. Ymiron's soul was instead sent to 's Maw of Souls. Many years later, Odyn's mortal champion led an assault on the Maw of Souls and struck Ymiron down. The warrior returned to the Halls of Valor and asked the keeper to allow Ymiron's soul into the Halls of Valor to aid them in battle against the Burning Legion. Though Odyn initially refused, he was swayed by the warrior's suggestion that there could be no better punishment for Ymiron than eternal servitude.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Skyhold||102 - 109||522,253|
- Main article: Quest:Anguish of Nifflevar#Notes
- Main article: King Ymiron (tactics)#Quotes
- Main article: Ymiron, the Fallen King#Quotes
- What now?
- My hatred burns.
- Get it over with already.
- Go away...
- GO AWAY!
- I will spit on your grave!
- I hate your damn guts!
- I would die a thousand deaths to see you suffer!
- WHY COULDN'T YOU LET ME DIE?!
- CURSE YOU, CURSE YOUR MOTHER, I WILL (Beep) BITE YOUR (Beep) HEAD DOWN, DOWN YOUR (Beep) THROAT, YOU (Beep), ODYN HIMSELF WOULD (Beep) YOU ONTO THE GROUND!
- If the Legion does not kill you, someday I will!
- Leave me be already!
- During the Purge of Dalaran, summoned images of various Wrath of the Lich King era bosses, Ymiron among them, to fight for him against the Horde.
- Ymiron was voiced by Michael McConnohie in Wrath of the Lich King and by David Shaughnessy in Legion.
- Ymiron is probably named for Ymir, the primordial frost giant, whose corpse Odin used to create the world according to Norse mythology.
King of the Vrykul in Northrend