Lava Burst is an Elemental shaman's highest hitting spell, with a strong synergy with the DoT. It is on an 8 sec cooldown, thus causing shaman DPS rotations to be governed by cooldowns and priorities.
- If is applied for the first time while Lava burst is traveling to the enemy (in other words, after Lava Burst has been cast), the 50% damage bonus will not apply.
- The Flame Shock DoT only has to be active upon completion of casting Lava Burst. If the DoT wears off while the Lava Burst projectile is traveling, it will still deal extra damage.
Tips and tactics
- Rotations should be timed around utilizing Lava Burst as much as possible.
- PvP - Lava burst and , which has no traveling time, if cast in succession will generally hit at the same time for spike damage.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2014-12-15): "Lava Burst (Elemental, Restoration) now deals 33% more damage in PvP combat."
- Patch 6.0.3 (2014-10-28): Now costs 50% less mana.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now replaces for Elemental and Restoration shaman.
- Hotfix (2013-05-23): "Elemental Overload version of Lava Burst should now properly deal 75% of the damage dealt by the Lava Burst that activated it."
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now has a 2 second cast time, up from 1.5 seconds, and deals 25% more damage.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Base damage has been reduced by 33% but now always deals a critical strike. When cast on targets affected by Flame Shock, it now deals 50% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now an Elemental and Restoration specialization ability.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): This ability no longer ever consumes a Flame Shock debuff off of the target.