Today we are making changes to the login system on Gamepedia to give you the option to merge your Gamepedia and Twitch accounts.
If you decide to merge your accounts, you’ll be able to log in to Gamepedia with your Twitch username and password, but all users will now be redirected to the main Gamepedia.com page to log on regardless of if you choose to merge your accounts or not. Learn more about the changes here.
Leather can mean a couple of things in World of Warcraft:
- A type of skin ingredient item usually gathered with the skinning profession from a skinnable corpse. These items can usually be used directly by the leatherworking profession without prior processing or treatment.
- A type of armor used by playable characters belonging to the fairly fragile, but also agile leather-wearing classes. Generally better than cloth armor for defense.
See Leather armor.
In this sense, leather is collected by skinning beasts. These items can usually be used directly by the leatherworking profession without prior processing or treatment. The type of leather is usually directly related to the level of animal being skinned.
Leatherworkers can also combine lighter leathers into heavier ones, even combining ruined leather scraps into usable leathers.
Leather is closely related to Hides, although Hides are rarer and must often be prepared for use.
There are 12 basic leathers:
NB: It is not possible to skin any mob in the starting zones (maybe there is a mob level minimum of 5 for skinning)
|(lvl 5-17 mobs)|
|(lvl 5-27 mobs)||(with recipe, made from 3 Ruined Leather Scraps)|
|(lvl 15-38 mobs)||(with recipe, made from 4 Light Leathers)|
|(lvl 26-46 mobs)||(with recipe, made from 5 Medium Leathers)|
|(lvl 35-58 mobs)||(with recipe, made from 6 Heavy Leathers)|
|(lvl 45-60 mobs)||(with recipe, made from 6 Thick Leathers)|
|(lvl 58+ mobs, in Outland)|
|(lvl 58+ mobs, in Outland)||(with recipe, made from 5 Knothide Leather Scraps)|
|(with recipe, made from 5 Knothide Leathers)|
|(lvl 68+ mobs, in Northrend)|
|(lvl 73+ mobs, in Northrend)||(made from 5 Borean Leather Scraps)|
|(with recipe, made from 6 Borean Leathers)|
|(lvl 80+ mobs in new Cataclysm zones)|
|(lvl 81+ mobs in new Cataclysm zones)||(made from 5 Savage Leather Scraps)|
|(with recipe, made from 5 Savage Leather)|
|(lvl 90+ mobs in new Pandaria zones)|
|(lvl 91+ mobs in new Pandaria zones)||(made from 5 Savage Leather Scraps)|
|(made from 20 Raw Beast Hides and 10 Gorgrond Flytraps)|
|(lvl 100+ mobs in Broken Isles zones)|
- - Created by Enchanters from
|Obtained from Kodos|
|Obtained from Devilsaurs|
|Obtained from high-level Bears|
|Obtained from Ancient Core Hounds in the Molten Core. Requires 310 Skinning.|
|Obtained from basilisks and ravagers.|
|Obtained from clefthooves and Elekk Demolishers|
|Obtained from beasts in Northrend|
|Obtained from beasts in Draenor|
The which you get when skinning low level mobs are vendor sell items unless you also have leatherworking, in which case 3 of them can be made into light leather. The frequency of getting these drops off rapidly around 10th level mobs and you will not see anymore of them at all once you are skinning 17th level and above mobs. Note: As of Patch 3.0.3 you do not need the leatherworking skill to convert 5x to 1x .
Leatherworkers can assemble low-level leathers into higher-level leather.
|3 Ruined Leather Scraps||Light Leather||1|
|4 light Leather||Medium Leather||100|
|5 Medium Leather||Heavy Leather||150|
|6 Heavy Leather||Thick Leather||200|
|6 Thick Leather||Rugged Leather||250|
|5 Knothide Leather Scraps||Knothide Leather||300|
|5 Knothide Leather||Heavy Knothide Leather||325|
|5 Borean Leather Scraps||Borean Leather||0|
|6 Borean Leather||Heavy Borean Leather||375|
- - Drops off of Zhevras - Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): was removed as an ingredient
- - From Frostsabers - Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): was removed as an ingredient
- - From Chimaeras - Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): was removed as an ingredient
- - From Bats in Zul'Gurub instance - Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): no longer available
- - From Tigers in Zul'Gurub instance - Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): no longer available
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Critters such as Cows and Rabbits can no longer be skinned for leather