Legion ships (or command ships) are ships created by the Burning Legion that can teleport and travel between dimensions, namely the Twisting Nether and the Great Dark Beyond. Being dagger-shaped, the tip of the ships forms a portal which can then be used to summon in more demons and bombard enemy troops with infernal-like fireballs.
They are used to transport and deploy troops directly on the field, as well as acting like gateways for the Legion to summon their armies. They are thus present on both the worlds they invade as well as their own worlds where the demons reside, serving as bases of operations. They were deployed in great numbers during the various stages of the Legion's third invasion of Azeroth, including the Battle for the Broken Shore, the Legion invasions and the assault on Karazhan.
Functionalities and characteristics
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Matron Mother Malevolence used the Fel Hammer's warp systems to transport the bulk of the recently freed Illidari forces aboard, but doing so greatly taxed the ship's power. Instead, the leader of the Illidari used the power of their warglaives to tear a rift in reality and open a permanent gateway, powered by captured demons' souls, from Dalaran to the Fel Hammer. From the other side of the portal, the gateway is being kept open by Priestesses of Dementia.
The Lightbreaker could only be accessed through a portal locked to those without the key, divided in two halves which were given to the powerful lieutenants of the demon Azoran, commander of the operations in Felsoul Hold.
Viz'aduum the Watcher tried to utilize two of them in Netherspace to secure Karazhan and tether the tower to every single Legion world in existence, which would've allowed the infinite armies of the Legion to pour into Azeroth. A massive number of them could be seen in the distance.
- The Fel Hammer, on Mardum, the Shattered Abyss
- The Lightbreaker, command ship of Felsoul Hold
- The Soulrender, floating over Faronaar
- Shadowgore Citadel
- The Cathedral, on Niskara, attached to a cliff
- The Sentinax, patrolling the Broken Shore
- Kil'jaeden's unnamed flagship
- These ships have existed for "quite a long time" according to Alex Afrasiabi. They at least already existed during the era of the War in Outland, since the Fel Hammer was captured by the Illidari back then.
- Their prows somewhat resemble melted and warped versions of the titan architecture of Stormheim, hinting at possible titan influence in their design.
The portal at the tip of a ship.
A ship during a Westfall invasion.
Vizuul the Twisted signalling a ship where to warp in.