Level 70 hunter twinking guide
This guide has been updated for Warlords of Draenor over at Wowhead.
This guide was written for a level 70 Hunter, if you're 71-74, the enchant values and stat conversion values will be off.
Written by Kiingzy-Frostmourne(US)
Choosing your race
The most important thing to consider when creating a twink is the racials, below is a list of the relevant ones for PvP.
- - Allows for double DPS trinkets. Human:
- . Dwarf:
- . Worgen:
- . Night Elf:
- . Draenei:
- Pandaren: and .
- - At level 70 this provides 238 attack power, assuming its used every cooldown it's equivalent to 29 passive attack power. Orc:
- - Forward jump, can be used as a double disengage. Goblin:
- - Weaker version of the humans racial. Forsaken:
- - Has its moments but the general idea as a hunter is to stay out of melee range. Blood Elf:
Each race has different base stats, the amount it varies by is between 2-10 depending on race. The races listed below are the highest for both factions. If more than one from a faction is listed, they are equal. The full list can be found here.
- Players choosing Agility will want to go with a Night Elf, Troll, Blood Elf or Goblin.
- Players choosing Stamina will want to go with a Dwarf, Tauren, Orc or Forsaken.
Agility is the most important stat. 1 agility will give hunters more DPS than 1 of any other stat (except, of course, for ranged weapon dps).
- 1 Agility = 2 Attack Power.
- 14 Attack Power = 1 DPS. (For weapon damage based shots)
- 1 Stamina = 10 Health.
- 22.08 Crit Rating = 1% Crit Chance.
- 40 Agility = 1% Crit Chance.
- 15.7 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
- 12.60 Hit Rating = 1% Hit Chance.
- PvE Hit Cap - 7.5%
- PvP Hit Cap - 3%
- 12.60 Expertise Rating = 1% Expertise.
- PvE Expertise Cap - 7.5%
- PvP Expertise Cap - 3-5% (see below)
PvP Hit & Expertise
The PvP Hit cap will vary depending on your faction:
- Both factions require 3% hit to never miss against targets your own level.
- The expertise cap is different depending on faction, 3% is required to prevent most players from dodging shots if you're Alliance, for Horde 5% is needed to achieve the same result, this is due to the Night Elf racial . Even while at this cap feral druids, rogues and other hunters will still dodge shots due to the dodge gained from agility.
For every level above your own an additional 1% of both stats is required. The highest level in this bracket is 74.
Talents & Glyphs
- Tier 1: Not much to say, pick what suits you the most.
- Tier 2: Binding Shot and Intimidation are the obvious choices here, comes down to personal preference.
- Tier 3: Spirit Bond offers the most overall healing, while Exhilaration offers the best burst heal. Aspect of the Ironhawk is a flat damage decrease that works well with the base 40% resil.
- Tier 4: Thrill of the Hunt is strong with its high proc rate, Fervor is also quite strong with a 30 second cooldown. At this level Dire Beast is not worth it compared to the other two.
- They're all situational, choose whichever you prefer and swap them out as needed.
To get the best in slot enchants you'll need the following reputations.
To get the best in slot gear you'll need the follow reputation.
- Scale of the Sands exalted.
World of Warcraft has many professions and all of them have a decent bonus. There are two categories: Gathering and Production.
Below are the benefits from the three gathering professions.
- Mining - 375
- Skinning - 375
- Herbalism - 375
While it's possible to gain the Wrath of the Lich King ranks of these spells, they will scale down to BC ranks on a level 70.
For the values when used on a level 70 please see the Enchants section of this guide.
- Jewelcrafting - Minimum skill level: 370
- Jeweler's Gems - . (3 gems max)
- Jeweler's Gems - . (3 gems max)
- The best in slot neck piece is only available to Jewelcrafters.
- Leatherworking - Minimum skill level: 395
- Inscription - Minimum skill level: 400
- Enchanting - Minimum skill level: 400
- Tailoring - Minimum skill level: 400
- Alchemy - Minimum skill level: 400
- Flasks - . +16 Agility. (+32 in Battlegrounds/Arena)
- - Doubles the effects and duration of elixirs, doubles the duration of flasks.
- Blacksmithing - Minimum skill level: 400
- Engineering - Minimum skill level: 400-450
The top items are the Best in Slot. (BiS).
- Reputation reward from Scale of the Sands. You can get it at neutral then its upgraded as you progress.
- Drops from Eredar Twins in Sunwell Plateau.
- Crafted from Jewelcrafting. Recipe is a zone drop from trash in Sunwell Plateau. (The ring itself is BoE)
- Sold by Anwehu in Shattrath or Smith Hauthaa on the Isle of Quel'Danas for 312 .
This is the Season 4 PvP set.
For most classes since the introduction of base resil this gear doesn't compare to the above PvE gear, only use this while you gear up in raids.
Not including the ranged weapon or the heirloom trinket, the entire set will cost you 1500 Honor Points.
- On-Set Armor
- Head - 175 Honor Points.
- Shoulders - 140 Honor Points.
- Chest - 175 Honor Points.
- Gloves - 140 Honor Points.
- Legs - 175 Honor Points.
- Off-Set Armor
- Neck - 90 Honor.
- Cloak - 90 Honor.
- Wrists - 90 Honor.
- Belt - 140 Honor.
- Boots - 140 Honor.
- Ring - Drops from the Eredar Twins in Sunwell Plateau.
- Ring - 90 Honor.
- Trinket - 55 Honor or 2725 Honor.
Thori'dal vs Golden Bow
Despite the Golden Bow having lower DPS than Thori'dal, it's actually slightly better for burst DPS with shots based off weapon damage.
The formula for ranged weapon normalization is:
Base Damage + ( 2.8 * Attack Power / 14 )
For this example we'll use a hunter with 3000 attack power casting Chimera Shot (at time of writing dealt 398% Weapon Damage + 3081)
Max = (( 769 + ( 2.8 × 3000 ÷ 14 )) * 3.98 ) + 3081 = 8530
Min = (( 414 + ( 2.8 × 3000 ÷ 14 )) * 3.98 ) + 3081 = 7117
Max = (( 757 + ( 2.8 × 3000 ÷ 14 )) * 3.98 ) + 3081 = 8482
Min = (( 407 + ( 2.8 × 3000 ÷ 14 )) * 3.98 ) + 3081 = 7089
Since 5.4 gems now scale with character level. Tooltips are stats while in a BG, to the right are stats when in arena / world.
Red: Jewelers Gems | Requires 360-370 Jewelcrafting.
== Do not gem for socket bonuses ==
Since 5.4 enchants now scale with level so the tooltips are values while in battlegrounds, to the right of each enchant is the value when used on a level 70 while in the world and in arenas. Later expansion enchants will scale lower than most earlier expansion enchants.
Enchants aren't listed in any order. 1 Agility = 2 Attack Power.
- +200 Attack Power for 15 seconds chance on hit proc. (Requires Tailoring - 400)
- +12 Agility.
- +11 Agility.
- +57 Agility. (Requires Leatherworking - 400)
- +25 Attack Power.
- +16 Attack Power. (Requires Enchanting - 400)
The individual pet families also have their own special abilities which include a snare, slow, silence, stun and disarm. The duration, cooldown and range of these spells are different for each. At this level you'll be given 4 stable slots, select four abilities you want and swap between them as needed.
Pets with green backgrounds are exotic, meaning you'll need to be Beastmastery to use them.
|Scorpion||8 Seconds||1 Minute|
|Bird||8 Seconds||1 Minute|
|Spider||5 Seconds||40 Seconds||30 Yards|
|Dog||4 Seconds||40 Seconds||Melee|
|Crab||4 Seconds||40 Seconds||Melee|
|Silithid||5 Seconds||40 Seconds||30 Yards|
|Monkey||4 Seconds||2 Minutes||20 Yards|
|Wasp||2 Seconds||1.5 Minutes||Melee|
|Basilisk||3 Seconds||2 Minutes||20 Yards|
|Bat||2 Seconds||2 Minutes||20 Yards|
|Shale Spider||3 Seconds||1.5 Minutes||30 Yards|
|Gorilla||2 Seconds||30 Seconds||Melee|
|Nether Ray||2 Seconds||40 Seconds||20 Yards|
|Moth||4 Seconds||1 Minute||25 Yards|
- Slow: , Time Warp (pet),
|Crocalisk||6 Seconds||10 Seconds||Melee Yards|
|Warp Stalker||5 Seconds||15 Seconds||25 Yards|
|Chimera||5 Seconds||10 Seconds||30 Yards|
Pet Spell Macros
To save having to constantly swap out spells on your action bar, this macro will change depending on the pet you're currently using:
/cast [pet:Type/Name] <spell>; [pet:Type2/Name2] <spell>; etc
As an example, this will cast Clench with a scorpion out and Web with a spider out.
#showtooltip /cast [pet:scorpid] Clench; [pet:spider] Web
There's no limit beyond the macro character limit, you can also use your pets name instead of its unit type.
To get a pets unit type, while you have it out, copy the below into chat and it'll be displayed in the default chat frame.
#showtooltip /cast [@player] Roar of Sacrifice[/color]
- - 120 Attack Power.
- - 40 Agility, 40 Stamina.
- - 40 Critical Strike Rating, 40 Stamina.
- - 40 Hit Rating, 40 Stamina.
This profile does not have any profession specific items or enchants.