|Level: 10 - 20
Battle Pet Level: 3 - 6
Eastern Khaz Modan
Loch Modan (probably 'Mountain Lake' in the dwarven language) is a large area east of Dun Morogh, situated in eastern Khaz Modan. It is known for its temperate climate, abandoned archaeological dig site and, until the cataclysm, the huge lake from which the region takes its name. The gray and rugged Khaz Mountains rise up on all sides around the loch, and the hills are lightly wooded with pine and birch. The loch was held in place by the now broken Stonewrought Dam, an architectural wonder of no equal on Azeroth. The dam was destroyed when Deathwing burst into and flew over Azeroth, and its destruction caused the loch to drain and cause massive changes to the area.
Loch Modan is heavily populated by hostile troggs, unearthed from caves below ground by the dwarven digs. They have since settled in the surrounding mountainous area and built crude camps and caves from which to strike at passing travelers. Other dangers include dangerous wildlife, aggressive kobolds, and the powerful ogres of the Mo'grosh Stronghold.
Despite its serene appearance, Loch Modan has seen its share of conflict and bloodshed. In the Second War, the orcs of the Horde overran Loch Modan and made a stand against the defenders of the Alliance. The dwarves of Ironforge were ultimately successful in their defense, and reclaimed the area in the war's aftermath. Broken catapults and ballistae can still be seen scattered about on the bottom and islands of the loch, mute evidence to the region's bloody history.
Since the Alliance has no travel hub in the Badlands, they have to fly to Thelsamar in Loch Modan and ride from there to get to Uldaman. Newer players are often unacquainted to the higher-level activity in a teens level zone in comparison to the starting zones they have come from.
Maps and subregions
Flight paths from Thelsamar
- Ironforge, Dun Morogh
- Gol'Bolar Quarry, Dun Morogh
- Farstrider Lodge, Loch Modan
- Slabchisel's Survey, Wetlands
- Menethil Harbor, Wetlands
- Refuge Pointe, Arathi Highlands
- Dustwind Dig, Badlands
- Thorium Point, Searing Gorge
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access subzone||Access method|
|Dun Morogh||1-12||West||North Gate Pass/South Gate Pass||By foot or by flightpath from Thelsamar to Ironforge|
|Wetlands||20-30||North||Dun Algaz||By foot or by flightpath from Thelsamar to Menethil Harbor|
|Badlands||45-48||South||N/A||By foot only|
|Searing Gorge||48-50||Southwest||Valley of Kings||By foot through the Stonewraught Pass|
|Twilight Highlands||84-85||Northeast||N/A||By flying only|
- Main article: Loch Modan NPCs
Loch Modan is home to several dwarves of various levels of importance. In the Valley of Kings, sends promising young dwarves to eradicate the troggs who infest the region. At the Stonewrought Dam, seeks to rid Loch Modan of the vile and terrible Dark Iron dwarves. And at his excavation site, the unlucky recruits "slightly" more experienced adventurers to investigate the ruins of Uldaman.
- Main article: Loch Modan storyline
Loch Modan is the level 10-20 destination zone for dwarves and gnomes from the adjacent starting zone of Dun Morogh. However it is easy enough for all other Alliance races to quest here, via the Deeprun Tram from Stormwind.
Loch Modan only has one dig site:
- Dark Iron Dwarves
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Many things happened in Loch Modan with the Cataclysm, with Twilight hammer cultists attacking, dark iron dwarves up to their old tricks, the loch drained dry and murlocs, gnolls and kobolds creating an alliance.
- The Farstrider Lodge – flight master added
- Grizzlepaw Ridge – now inhabited by a named ,
- Ironband's Excavation Site – new cave added near here called Ironwing Cavern, filled with hostile Proto-Striders and Haywire Battle-Chickens
- The Loch – 90% drained dry from destruction of the Stonewrought Dam; where the troggs used to be is now a Twilight camp
- Mo'grosh Stronghold – yes, you can see an enormous tower from the Twilight Highlands above the Stronghold; no, you cannot fly to it
- Stonesplinter Valley – new deep cave system to the left as you enter; cave system taken out up the second hill
- Stonewrought Dam – hole punched into it; taken over by Dark Iron Clan
- Other – deep chasm separates normal entry between Loch Modan and the Badlands, only leaving a precariously steep footpath; Mosshide Gnolls now inhabit the areas west of Thelsamar
- New Hunter Pets – Loch Buzzard, Golden Eagle, Bobcat (BE starter), Hill Fox