|Affiliation(s)||Blackrock clan, Dark Horde, Black Tooth Grin clan|
|Former affiliation(s)||Old Horde|
|Occupation||Co-founder of the Black Tooth Grin Clan|
|Status||Deceased, killed by the Dark Iron Dwarves|
|Relative(s)||Blackhand (father), Urukal (mother), Dal'rend (brother), Griselda (sister)|
The pair ultimately accompanied their father through the Dark Portal. After Warchief Blackhand was killed by Orgrim Doomhammer, Rend and Maim gathered a number of loyalists and formed the Black Tooth Grin clan. They loyally followed Doomhammer during the Second War and when Gul'dan took the Twilight's Hammer and Stormreaver clans and left for the Broken Isles, Main and Rend were sent with their clan to kill them for their betrayal.
Rend and Maim evaded capture following the Second War and set up a base in Blackrock Spire. They served as dual chieftains over the Black Tooth Grin clan and the weakened Blackrock clan, forming the Dark Horde. About two years later, the portal reopened and emissaries from Ner'zhul were immediately sent to Rend and Maim asking them to rejoin the Horde—and asking to borrow the red dragons held captive by the allied Dragonmaw clan. Rend refused. Not long after Nefarian came to Blackrock Spire and took control of the Blackhand brothers and the forces under their control.
Some time later, he was killed by the dark iron dwarves.
History as told by Eitrigg
- At the end of the Second War, Rend and his brother, Maim, fled to find sanctuary within the mountainous stronghold of Blackrock Spire. It was there that Rend declared himself Warchief of the weakened Blackrock clan.
- Rend and his brother Maim ruled the Spire, in constant conflict with the Dark Iron Dwarves. They managed to displace the dwarves in the upper portion of the city, but only after the dragons came and only after the death of Maim.
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
In the canceled Warcraft Adventures, Maim and his brother Rend were the two who killed Thrall's father Durotan. They were traitors to their race, as they collaborated with the internment camps system for gold and favors. They paid a fortune for the gnomes to create the black ale which would keep the orcs pacified, and were about to make a blood pact in agreement to aid Lieutenant Blackmoore with the forces of their Black Tooth Grin clan. Thall interrupted the meeting by setting the room ablaze, and Rend and Maim were trapped between the fires, confronted by the orc whose family they had murdered. Rend, reduced to begging, tried to claim he was forced to by his father, but Thrall failed to fall for Rend's lie, and used their blood mixed together to kill them with the Eternal Damnation spell, causing their flesh to melt and their souls being sent to hell for all eternity.
In the RPG
After their father’s assassination, Maim and his brother Rend took what followers they could and splintered off from the Blackrock Clan, founding the Black Tooth Grin clan. They did this to retain some of the power which they believed was their birthright, without directly opposing Orgrim Doomhammer's accession to power, so he would take no action against them. During the Second War, they were given control of the Dark Portal. Some rumors say that Maim retreated with Kilrogg Deadeye to Draenor, only to die there, either to human blades or as a victim of betrayal. However, this was not the case.
Eventually, Dark Iron dwarves from Blackrock Depths tried to destroy the Dark Horde. The Dark Horde fought back, and Maim was killed in savage battle, however his sacrifice, plus Rend's "alliance" with the black dragonflight, allowed his brother to drive back the Dark Irons and maintain his hold on Blackrock Spire.
- In Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne on Chapter 6 of the blood elf campaign, blademasters named Maim and Rend reside in the orc camp directly south of where the Master of Pain is located, however these events were retconed.
- Maim has an unused NPC in the World of Warcraft database as creature 17028. His model has the red skin of a fel orc, without the spikes or mutations, and he is wearing the same outfit as his brother Rend.
- "Maim" is a word meaning to wound or mutilate.
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 123
- ^ Rise of the Horde
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Clans of the Horde, The Black Tooth Grin Clan
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron; Christie Golden. Beyond the Dark Portal, 111-116. ISBN 978-1-4165-5086-0.
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron; Christie Golden. Beyond the Dark Portal, 121-122. ISBN 978-1-4165-5086-0.
- ^ a b Johnson, Luke. Dark Factions, 136. ISBN 9781588464460.
- ^ Bennie, Scott; Richard Farrese, Bob Fitch. Horde Player's Guide, 168. ISBN 9781588467720.
Chieftain of the Black Tooth Grin Clan (with Dal'rend Blackhand)