- For information on how to defeat Mal'Ganis in World of Warcraft, see Mal'Ganis (tactics).
|Former affiliation(s)||Scourge (Undead Elite Guard), Scarlet Onslaught (while in the form of Barean Westwind)|
|Occupation||Leader of the Scarlet Onslaught (while in the form of Barean Westwind)|
Culling of Stratholme, Caverns of Time or Hidden Hollow, Icecrown (WoW)
- "I am Mal'Ganis. I AM ETERNAL!"
Mal'Ganis was one of the nathrezim sent by Archimonde as a jailor of the Lich King. He was chosen to head up the plot to turn Prince Arthas to darkness, and make him the Lich King's greatest champion.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Memorable quotes
- 3 Statistics of Mal'Ganis from Warcraft III at Level 10
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Speculation
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Videos
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Third War
This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III.
As Arthas and Jaina Proudmoore were investigating rumors of plague, they were attacked again and again by the forces of the Scourge posing as the personal army of the dreadlord Mal'Ganis. Kel'Thuzad helped play the part by telling Arthas that it was Mal'Ganis himself and not the Lich King behind the plague. Each attack, each town destroyed hit at Arthas' weakness, his pride. Arthas began to take his inability to protect his people from the Scourge personally, and soon became obsessed with killing the dreadlord.
Mal'Ganis led Arthas to Stratholme, and left him with the choice of either slaughtering all of its inhabitants or watching them fall to the plague. Arthas chose to kill his own subjects rather than let them become slaves to Mal'Ganis in death, killing most of the inhabitants of the town. Mal'Ganis was there in the wreckage, and goaded Arthas once again to come to Northrend to finish their battle. As expected, Arthas took the royal fleet and sailed north. The Prince's obsession with the hated dreadlord led him further down the path of evil, first lying to his men, betraying his mercenaries, and finally forsaking his own soul to take up the runeblade Frostmourne, grievously wounding Muradin Bronzebeard in the process.
The moment Arthas took up Frostmourne he became a tool of the Lich King, completely subservient to his will. This was what Mal'Ganis had planned all along. Confidently he approached Arthas and informed him of his fate. However, the manipulative and traitorous dreadlord was himself betrayed, as the Lich King's first whispers to Arthas were that the time for his vengeance had come (this was the first step towards Ner'zhul's independence). Arthas defeated the dreadlord and believed him to be slain.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Culling of Stratholme
- Main article: Mal'Ganis (tactics)
Mal'Ganis is the final boss in the Stratholme of the past, the fourth wing of the Caverns of Time that opened with the release of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. In the Warcraft III scenario The Culling, Mal'Ganis would always resurrect after a certain period and return to continue his corruption of the city. In the instance, however, once Mal'ganis is taken to 1% health, he teleports out of the city after telling Arthas to meet him in Northrend.
Recent discoveries have shown that this is not the case. Mal'Ganis is still alive — under the guise of Barean Westwind — and has taken over control of the Scarlet Onslaught, much like Balnazzar had done with the original Scarlet Crusade. He stood in seclusion in Onslaught Harbor until agents from the Knights of the Ebon Blade forced him to show his true identity and flee back to his homeworld. He claimed to be plotting his revenge against the traitorous Lich King, but this never came to fruition.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
- Mal'Ganis: I've been waiting for you, young prince. I am Mal'Ganis.
- Mal'Ganis: As you can see, your people are now mine. I will now turn this city household by household, until the flame of life has been snuffed out... forever.
- Arthas: I won't allow it, Mal'Ganis! Better that these people die by my hand than serve as your slaves in death!
- Arthas: We're going to finish this right now, Mal'Ganis. Just you and me.
- Mal'Ganis: Brave words. Unfortunately for you, it won't end here. Your journey has just begun, young prince.
- Mal'Ganis: Gather your forces and meet me in the arctic land of Northrend. It is there that we shall settle the score between us. It is there were your true destiny will unfold.
- Arthas: I'll hunt you to the ends of the earth if I have to! Do you hear me? To the ends of the earth!
- "The Dark Lord said you would come! This is where you journey ends...boy. Trapped and freezing at the roof of the world, with only death to sing the tale of your doom!"
- Mal'Ganis: So, you've taken up Frostmourne at the expense of your comrades' lives, just as the Dark Lord said you would. You're stronger than I thought.
- Arthas: You waste your breath Mal'Ganis. I heed only the voice of Frostmourne now.
- Mal'Ganis: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield... What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?
- Arthas: He tells me the time for my vengeance has come.
- Mal'Ganis: What? He couldn't possibly mean to--
- Arthas: It is finished.
World of Warcraft
- When revealing his true identity
- Gah! I spent too much time in that weak little shell.
- Kirel narak! I am Mal'Ganis. I AM ETERNAL!
- Killing a player
- Anach kyree! (Miserable insect!)
- My Onslaught will wash over the Lich King's forces!
- Your death is in vain, tiny mortal.
- Your time has come to an end.
- When escaping
- ENOUGH! I waste my time here. I must gather my strength on the homeworld.
- You'll never defeat the Lich King without my forces! I'll have my revenge...on him AND you!
Statistics of Mal'Ganis from Warcraft III at Level 10
|Carrion Swarm||Sleep||Dark Conversion||Soul Preservation|
|Mal'Ganis' abilities in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.|
- 1150 HP (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 600 MP (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 44-54 hero melee damage (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 6 hero armor (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 42 Strength Primary Attribute (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 25 Agility (same as a regular dreadlord)
- 40 Intelligence (same as a regular dreadlord)
- Carrion Swarm (multiple target damage in a line)
- Sleep (incapacitates enemy)
- Dark Conversion (turns a villager undead)
- Soul Preservation (sends undead unit to the "nether-realm")
- Though plotting his revenge upon the Lich King, developers hinted that he would have no role in Icecrown Citadel. This eventually proved true. Mal'Ganis is nowhere to be found within Icecrown Citadel.
- During the Purge of Dalaran, Archmage Lan'dalock summoned images of various Wrath of the Lich King era bosses, Mal'Ganis among them, to fight for him against the Horde.
- In a manga Nightmares, Jaina was dreaming about travelling with Arthas to Northrend. There, they defeated the dreadlord and then found Frostmourne Cavern and Frostmourne in it. As Arthas was about to approach the blade, Mal'Ganis reappeared and attacked him, almost overwhelming him. In hoping to rescue Arthas, Jaina took the blade and slew the dreadlord, damning her own soul and eventuality becoming the Lich Queen.
- In the final level of The Scourge of Lordaeron in Warcaft III: Reign of Chaos, using the given base and units it is possible to invade and destroy Mal'Ganis' base, but if Mal'Ganis is killed before Arthas returns with Frostmourne, Mal'Ganis will die, drop 2-3 Ankh of Reincarnation, and come back to life. This can be repeated numerous times and when he does finally stay down (you will see the death animation when he finally dies), Ankhs will continuously spawn from where he died.
- Mal'Ganis is voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.
- He appears as a legendary card for the Warlock class in the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. His flavor text reads: "Mal'Ganis doesn't like being betrayed, so if you discard him, watch out."
- The art actually depicts Varimathras.
It is unknown why he was not present in Icecrown Citadel. It can be speculated that his plans were ruined by arriving of Ashen Verdict. He may have been even killed by the force, or just he was not added because of lack of development. Otherwise, as the threat of the Lich King is not over he may appear in future content.
The dreadlord homeworld, Nathreza, was destroyed by Illidan Stormrage well before Mal'Ganis was discovered in Northrend. As Mal'Ganis left to return to Nathreza but the planet no longer exists, it is unclear what happened to him.
Mal'Ganis in Death Knight.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Added.